Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Thai king celebrates Diamond Jubilee

Thai king celebrates Diamond Jubilee

Thai king celebrates Diamond Jubilee

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Revered King Bhumibol Aduljadej called for national unity on Friday at joyous celebrations of his Diamond Jubilee as Thais put a deep political crisis on hold.
    King Bhumibol told a crowd in Bangkok's Royal Plaza -- estimated by police at one million and many millions more glued to their televisions around the country -- to think and act in good faith and work for the good of the nation.

"As long as Thais can still synchronise their thoughts, minds and behaviours for the good of the country, we can be assured the nation will continue to prosper," the bespectacled monarch said from a balcony of the Ananda Samakhom Throne Hall.

"Therefore I would like to ask everyone here to keep this good virtue and continuously pass it on for the prosperity of the country," said the 78-year-old king, clad in an ornate coat of gold thread, 60 years after his coronation.

When he finished his five-minute speech, the genuinely adored monarch was rocked by a wave of sound as the crowd, which stretched 3 km (2 miles), shouted "Long Live His Majesty".

Some broke down in tears as the king, Queen Sirikit alongside him, was moved visibly by the sound from the crowd, many of whom arrived in the early hours to stake out a good place to see him.

"This is a very auspicious opportunity," said Chom Taenglek, 75, who arrived at dawn. "I would like to see all Thais sacrifice and do good for the country and our king, whom everyone should follow as a role model."

Like almost everyone else in Bangkok, Chom wore a yellow shirt, the colour of the king's birthday, and the crowd dwarfed the number of protesters who gathered in the same place earlier this year calling on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to quit

HM the King calls for unity, kindness, compassion

HM the King calls for unity, kindness, compassion

The text of His Majesty the King's speech to his adoring subjects at Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall yesterday:

I am pleased to preside over the public audience for Thai citizens and all institutions. Thank you for the congratulatory messages and grand celebrations organised especially for me. The government has made fine preparations and Thai citizens have shown their goodwill throughout the nation.

I am gratified by today's gathering because everyone came to express sincerity.

I am thankful for the well-wishers and the way they have acted in unison.

I feel heartened by unity and would like to remind all about some underlying principles to guide Thai citizens in joining together to preserve and develop their country to new heights of prosperity.

First, everyone should show kindness and compassion to ensure the mental and physical well being of one another.

Second, people should strive to cooperate for the mutual benefit of oneself, others and the country.

Third, everyone should uphold honesty and observe rules and traditions with impartiality.

Fourth, everyone should adhere to righteous thinking and act reasonably.

If Thai citizens think and act in an agreeable and constructive manner, then the country will surely thrive.

Everyone in the public audience and all Thai citizens should strictly follow these principles and propagate them in perpetuity so the country can remain in peace and happiness for the present as well as the future.

May the goodness of the Buddhist Triple Gems and universal sacredness bless the country so as to overcome dangers and allow Thai citizens to live in bliss and prosperity.