Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning to visit Thailand next month

Liked

Re: Planning to visit Thailand next month

I think even christian would struggle with accommodation at that price in Bangkok over Christmas and New Year, although the OP doesn't actually mention which city he plans to visit. Certainly his list of travel agents looks as if he's thinking of moving around quite a lot.

For a first time visitor, I would suggest staying in Bangkok for most of the time, if you can find affordable accommodation, plus maybe a trip to Pattaya for a few days (since hotels are generally cheaper here).
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Have a look at these bed and breakfast places in Bangkok:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g29 ... otels.html
    I think you may be able to do better than the Centaur Inn at a reasonable price.

Liked

Kayak assumes the city centre is Khao San road. That's a backpackers' area near the river so has cheap hostels but there isn't much gay there. I think you need to be nearer Silom/Sathorn. I like a challenge so you got me searching. This might be ok and meet your price target:
    http://www.thebloomsresidence.hostel.com/

There is a 10% service charge to be added to the room rates.

The area has cheap eateries and shops. The reviews of Blooms seem reasonable for this price. From there you could walk to Babylon sauna in no more than 25 minutes, which is long enough to be walking in bkk in December. Getting to soi 2 and soi 4 on Silom for gay bars/clubs is easy, either on a motorbike taxi or reducing the walk via the MRT underground rail from Lumpini to Silom.

Liked

500 to 700 per night is possible, even with aircon. These places might not have their own website and might not be on Agoda or similar. There is the mooonhouse (opposite Ibis Hotel on Soi Sri Bam Pen in Sathorn) which has rooms from 450 per night. For shared accommodation, I remember BBB Inn on Rama IV Road has a dormitory. There is S1 Hostel in Soi Ngam Duplee which has a dormitory.

We had a thread about accommodation around Sathorn Soi 1 in www.gaythailand.com you can look there for further information.

If you want to be close the gay scene for tourists, you should stay in Sathorn or Silom area.

Quote Originally Posted by chennaiguy
    To Mancs *****

Thank u so much Mancs, for the website you provided me, not sure how this did not list in google search, Iam looking at it. Just want to know what does it mean 5 KM from city center , 2 KM from city center , what does this mean, Are they trying to say because its in outskirts. Website is nice.

Thank u again
    Another leg puller I see why hasnt a 747 jumped in with one of his short novels.

Liked

Not at all, why do you say so,

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by chennaiguy
    To Mancs *****

Thank u so much Mancs, for the website you provided me, not sure how this did not list in google search, Iam looking at it. Just want to know what does it mean 5 KM from city center , 2 KM from city center , what does this mean, Are they trying to say because its in outskirts. Website is nice.

Thank u again
    Another leg puller I see why hasnt a 747 jumped in with one of his short novels.

Liked

Thank u all for the reply, It was very helpful and i got it done.

Many thanks again

Liked

You might actually tell us what your plans are, chennaiguy
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Chennaiguy, the first thing you need to decide what dates you want to spend in Bangkok and what dates in Pattaya.

I know you are only at the research stage of your trip now, but if you are going to be in Thailand over the Christmas/new Year period, i think you need to decide soon.

For your Bangkok stay, I would suggest only looking at places within one kilometre of either the Lumpini MRT (underground) station, which covers some of the Sathorn area, or Sala Daeng skytrain station, which is in the Silom area.

On the booking.com website, you can choose to search in various districts in the city. I would suggest doing a search in both the "Silom" and "Sathorn" areas. Do a search for one person in one room, and sort the results by price.

There is a "sort by" strapline on the top of the results page - you can sort it by price (either including or excluding dormitary beds).

That will give you a reasonable choice. I know there are probably cheaper places out there that maybe are not on the big internet booking sites, but unless you can get a recommendation from somebody here, you probably will not be able to find out about them in time.

At the moment, a search for the Sathorn area brings up several places with dormitary beds for under 15 Euro (about 600 baht) for that period.
    And if you go only slightly dearer you can get a simple single room.

What i wouldnt do is send emails to cheap places with enquiries, which what you have seem to have done, I think. Most of the cheaper places do not have the staff to be able to competently answer such queries, in my opinion, which is why they were ignored.

If you have a debit or credit card, i would book on booking.com after reading some of the reviews from previous travellers.

Agoda is another big site for online bookings, but be careful - their site does not include taxes and charges at first, so it will work out a bit more expensive than seems to be the case at first.

Once you have your main accommodation booked, you can research the nightlife and possible day trips.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    I think even christian would struggle with accommodation at that price in Bangkok over Christmas and New Year, although the OP doesn't actually mention which city he plans to visit. Certainly his list of travel agents looks as if he's thinking of moving around quite a lot.
    Utter nonsense again. Check sites like hostelworld and hostelbookers. The really cheap places do NOT advertise on the web or even maintain a site. Strangely even more-these places hardly up their fees in that time. BTW-the really busy time for such places is the monthes after 1/1. And a word of caution: Thai places often DO discriminate for who they will take in-many will not take Thai and quite a few are also very, very reluctant to accept Indians-or anyone who looks like that. Here in BKK there is an old-established area for Indians-with lots of Indian shops and even an emporium for saree's, name is Pahurath, edge of Chinatown-has Indian style ''hotel'' sleeping places from, 100 bt/night.