Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jomtien- EastSuites v The Venue

Liked

Jomtien- EastSuites v The Venue

Just returned from a Thailand visit and booked up for Jan/Feb next year. As it's a busier time I'll have to start booking accommodation if I want specific places. Already Mosaik is fully booked some units until March 2014. My visits have been closer to a month stay this last few times and now includes two Pattaya stays. The usual 7-9 days for fun, clubbing and bars, and also one at the start of my trip where I meet up with a long time Thai friend who lends me his pick up for the duration of my visit, this is normally just 3 nights and is usually just an easy laid back relaxing start to the trip after 3 months of work and long trip over.

Most Thailand visits I often go to Jomtien late afternoon to catch the cooler time, have a bite to eat at Bondi and an early evening stroll round some of the Jomtien Complex bars, game of pool etc.. as I enjoy the quiet pace, time to think and relax before hitting the bars/clubs in South Pattaya. This trip I've decided to really relax on arrival and stay in Jomtien for 3 nights. I've never stayed even a night there in 14 years so looking around I fancied East Suites as the rooms look excellent with balcony. I did make an enquiry earlier this year for Ganymede Hotel but did not receive a reply to the initial email and subsequent follow up, so thinking about The Venue as alternative. A pool or being right on the beach is not important to me.

Anyone with any experiences with either East Suites or The Venue? At the moment East Suites looks much better, the Venue rooms while attractive decor look poky and what is a Japanese style bathroom? looks like an excuse for a flimsy, small chucked-in-the-corner bathroom. Do they have decent balconies and windows? they are looking for Bt1800 for a 33 sq m 'suite' and Bt1500 for a poky little 24-27sq m room. East Suites room I was looking at is 50 sqm at Bt1350 and 60sqm at Bt1450.But I was just going by photos on website and from clients, it would be great to have some recent feedback of experiences of staying at either.

Any other Jomtien suggestions would be appreciated, decent size room and balcony a must.

Liked

Re: Jomtien- EastSuites v The Venue

Another Jomtien suggestion as you requested should be Pattaya's answer to Babylon ie "Ganymede".
    It has spacious modern rooms with balconies, a pool and a sauna.
    However it's now over-run by the men women and children from that northern euro-asian country where it's illegal to advertise places like Pattaya's answer to Babylon.

Liked

Ganymede is no longer a gay Hotel. It is now a straight hotel that is gay friendly. The bar is being changed into a regular straight bar.

I would recommend that you also check out Poseidon in the complex for rooms.

Liked

I never got to use the sauna at Ganymede as I usually went to San Suk. Does this mean the sauna has gone straight with Russians?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest
    Another Jomtien suggestion as you requested should be Pattaya's answer to Babylon ie "Ganymede". It has spacious modern rooms with balconies, a pool and a sauna. However it's now over-run by the men women and children from that northern euro-asian country where it's illegal to advertise places like Pattaya's answer to Babylon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomdad2003
    Ganymede is no longer a gay Hotel. It is now a straight hotel that is gay friendly. The bar is being changed into a regular straight bar.I would recommend that you also check out Poseidon in the complex for rooms.
    I gave Ganymede a try earlier this year as they had opened a new hotel building and were advertising it at the start of the year. My first email was ignored, my follow up was answered about two weeks later and made little sense, by which time anyway I had already decided to book a short break in phuket for my relaxing start to my trip.They seemed uninterested/disorganised. On subsequent visits to Jomtien at various times this year, sitting at Pour House I saw alot of straights coming and going from Ganymede, with a fight on the terrace between a young drunk 'northern euro-asian' couple one evening which was so animated and loud nobody intervened. That is just the kind of crap I cant be bothered with on holiday, and as i'm the type who isn't intimidated by straights when with a thai guy and who isn't shy at giving back 'fuck you, what you looking at' looks....I'd probably just get myself into trouble at Ganymede. So in hindsight I wasn't that bothered that they had not replied.

Forgot about Poseiden, thanks, i'll check it out as well.

Liked

Not saying you shouldn't stop at either of the above, but in defence of the Ganymede;

I stayed there late September, just gone. Sadly the Spa and Sauna was closed due to refurbishment, and due to reopen in January I believe. They were also installing a lift which would be serving all floors. Although all I saw going on was a guy looking in the hole dug out for the base of said lift, on one occasion I joined him to see what was so interesting, as he was in the same position he had been in 45 minutes earlier!!

Anyway, all the front of house staff are male and I'd say most of them are gay, and I made one very special friend whilst I was staying there. The room maids were female. They're all a great bunch and very friendly.

My room was basic, but fresh towels and linen daily throughout my stay, and I paid 800 a night. As for communication, I have had several emails from the manager, who has just replied to another offering me a very good price for my next visit, hopefully in February.

Liked

I can recommend Question Mark bar. They have newly furbished rooms for 600 Baht per night, and old rooms for 500. I stayed in those for 600 several times and would still go there, if it wasn't so far from Sunee and Boyztown. Well not that far, but a month ago I had difficulties to get a Baht bus two times over the weekend, so now I stay near Sunee.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by robofox
    Not saying you shouldn't stop at either of the above, but in defence of the Ganymede;
    Fair enough comments robofox, but I usually take no responses to emails or two week late ones as an indication of the service/interest/efficiency levels of an establishment and where there are so very many possible alternatives I prefer to stay with places who seem interested in your custom. It's a pity because I did fancy a room in their new hotel block as a first Jomtien stay, but even with your fair balanced comments, i'll pass.

Thanks for the suggestion of Question Mark, I didn't realise they even had rooms, I also considered Two Faces, Bondi but lowest room cost not really a factor in deciding where to stay, and with no offers of experiences with The Venue and their poky little rooms I've booked with East Suites who came back with a very quick reply and no complicated upfront or part payment to secure the room, just pay when I get there as with Mosaik and Baan Dok Mai. The size of the rooms at 50-60 sq/m with big balcony was a factor in booking here.

Liked

Seems like there is a lot of confusion out there about the character of the New Ganymede Resort, so let's clear things up.
    Over the last two years we have been making intensive improvements and upgrades to the resort, starting form what once was the Ganymede bar with a few basic rooms above it to the soon to be completed 74 rooms resort, including spa, outdoor swimming pool, elevator access to all rooms and 24 hours reception/concierge. Facilities include pool bar, gym, spa, karaoke, coffee shop/restaurant. Needless to say these changes also changed the character of the Ganymede drastically. And while some prefer the cozy basic and exclusively gay feel the original Ganymede had, we have been very encouraged by the amount of regular returning guests and new guests opting to extend their stays. Don't get me wrong we cherish and value our many returning gay guests who have stood by us through all the changes, we have listened to them and taken all comments on board. The conversion into the Ganymede resort has not been an easy one, and we work hard every day to improve on and implement the highest standards we have set upon ourselves. New systems and procedures have been set in place and unfortunately along the way there have been problems with regards to late replies and lack of communication, which off course we regret deeply. We realise that we are not there yet, but we will continue working towards that goal. It is impossible to please everybody , because different people have different ideas and priorities with regards to their perfect holiday, but if we can ensure people enjoy their stay and we can offer the best possible quality in service and comfort surely we must be moving in the right direction?

We pride ourselves and having a great mix of gay and straight guests from all walks of life . Being the size of resort we have become we are in no position( nor do we have any inclination to) discriminate against any form of race, nationality, conviction or gender. We want the Ganymede to be a place where people can be comfortable with who they are and simply enjoy their stay. We do not tolerate and form of verbal of physical abuse between guests.
    With regards to the comment that we are over run by eastern european guests firstly I would like to once more point out that we welcome every nationality, regardless of how their political leaders feel about gay life style(lets face it none of us are quite accurately represented by our own governments actions). Secondly if you want to go into demographics the Russian and northern european guests amount for a small part of the total of guests staying at Ganymede over the last year (under 15% of total occupancy). The biggest chunk of our guest originate from Asian countries, with Korea, Thailand and Japan leading the way in the Asian segment, with a strong following of returning guests from Western countries. Personally I find it refreshing to be surrounded by a mix of nationalities and cultures, all brought together here to enjoy the best Jomtien and Thailand have to offer.

We at Ganymede will keep working hard to ensure a good service in quality surroundings and sincerely apologise to anybody feeling let down by our change in direction.

Ward - GM The Ganymede

Liked

I've no experience with EastSuites, but have stayed at the Venue many times over the last few years. I have a good friend who lives at View Talay 1 which is right across the street from the Jomtien Complex, putting The Venue as a perfect place to bed down when visiting.
    Jomtien Complex is also a pleasant, laid back kind of gay area which I prefer to anything in Pattaya, and much more comfortable for an evening of sipping beer, conversation with friends or the Thai guys there, or playing some snooker.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'poky', but the deluxe and superior rooms are quite large (good value for the 900 baht a night you can get them for at this time of year ... at least that was the price 10 or so days ago) and very nicely turned out. Huge big comfy kingsize beds, and the bathroom, far from being a hole-in-the-wall is quite luxurious, with all fixtures being first quality. There's a small pool in the courtyard suitable for cooling down after a hot afternoon.
    The Venue has an elevator, and certainly it should be used if you've had more than one drink in you, as the crazy stairway is one of those circular loft things which can be quite the experience ... on the danger side.
    The Venue has a show most nights, but I've never stayed to watch more than 5 minutes: it's an old fashioned, cheezy, lip synching extravaganza of a flourish which for many is truly avoidable. On the other hand, every time I've passed by leaving the building at ShowTime it's been packed. The noise has never filtered into my bedroom, but I've usually had the 3rd floor ... probably a better idea than the 1st.
    No breakfast provided at the hotel but many places in the Complex less than a 5 minute walk.
    For myself: heartily recommended.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand