Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Best Thai curry?

Best Thai curry?

I love Indian style curries........ and tried a few thai ones over the years.

Penang kai/moo (sic) & thai green curry are ok - but there must be many more.

Whats your favourite thai curry and why?

Curry by mamasan

Thai Mamasan Curry Paste

Ingredients

3 ea Dried chilies
    3 tb Chopped shallots
    2 tb Chopped garlic
    1 t Chopped galangal
    1 1/4 tb Chopped lemon grass
    2 ea Cloves
    1 tb Coriander seeds
    1 t Cumin seeds
    5 ea Peppercorns
    1 t Shrimp paste
    1 t Salt

Directions
    Soak dried chilies in hot water for 15 minutes and deseed. In a wok over low heat put the shallots, garlic, galangal, lemon grass, cloves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and dry fry for about 5 minutes, then grind into a powder (with mortar and pestle). Into a blender, put the rest of the ingredients except the shrimp paste and blend to mix well. Add the shallot-garlic-galangal-lemon grass-clove-coriander seed-cumin seed mixture and the shrimp paste and blend again to obtain 1/2 cup of a fine-textured paste. This can be stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator for about 3-4 months.

Do not forget the Cuming seeds !

Re: Curry by mamasan

Quote Originally Posted by baziel
    Thai Mamasan Curry Paste

Do not forget the Cuming seeds !
    impossible with a thai presence lol

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    What I've always wanted to know about curries is what the hell did the Indians (and others in South and SE Asia and in Sichuan) eat before the Portuguese brought chillies to Asia from the New World? Chillies are a native of Central America.

Personally I don't like my food too hot. We have a young Indian guy at work who used to bring me some of his chicken biriyani, I could eat it but fuck. A Thai green curry is about the most that I can handle.
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Mamasan Curry

Not that i am pedantic, but it is not a mamasan curry, it is masaman and the best u can get is at Thor's Place on Koh Chang

Re: Mamasan Curry

Quote Originally Posted by me4thai
    Not that i am pedantic, but it is not a mamasan curry, it is masaman and the best u can get is at Thor's Place on Koh Chang
    Well well ... that fooking bad English off me , it is masaman curry ! Your a kitchen princess ? Well done ya !

Re: Best Thai curry?

Quote Originally Posted by Oogleman

Which?
    Definitely my favourite is the yellow curry with crab meat, served by Cabbages and Condoms (in Pattaya, in my case, as I have not visited the other ones).

Why?
    Because it is light and delicious -- just spicy enough to be interesting, but neither spicy nor heavy enough to foul the stomach

How?
    Hmm... any good recipes for this one, Baziel?

Quote Originally Posted by mumbaighost

Which?
    Definitely my favourite is the yellow curry with crab meat, served by Cabbages and Condoms (in Pattaya, in my case, as I have not visited the other ones).

Why?
    Because it is light and delicious -- just spicy enough to be interesting, but neither spicy nor heavy enough to foul the stomach

How?
    sounds great............one for the to try list!

Which?

Why?

How?
    Sure , but not Thai, the recipes is from Sri Lanka, try it out and put the condoms around your tong lol, it is hot !

Pepper Crab
    Ingredients
    1 kg Sri Lankan Crab
    3 tbspn white pepper
    1 tspn coriander seeds
    1 tbspn minced garlic
    1 stalk spring onion ( cut into 1 inch section )
    1/2 tbspn cornflour

Seasoning
    1/4 tbspn dark soy sauce
    1 tbspn light soy sauce
    1/2 tspn sesame oil
    Directions
    Blend white pepper and coriander seeds in a blender until fine.
    Wash and clean crabs, discards lung and organs. Chop crabs into 4 pieces. Scald crabs in 250g of hot cooking oil for about 30 secs. Remove from wok.
    Stir-fry minced garlic in 2 tbspn of hot cooking oil until fragrant.
    Add in 1 cup of water and 2 tspn of blended white pepper and coriander seeds, and mix well. Add seasoning and 1 tbspn of cornflour solution. Bring to a boil. Add crabs and cover the wok. Cook for 5 minutes or until crabs are cooked.
    Remove the crabs from wok. Add sectioned spring onion into gravy and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
    Serve hot.

Quote Originally Posted by baziel

Sure , but not Thai, the recipes is from Sri Lanka, try it out and put the condoms around your tong lol, it is hot !

Pepper Crab
    I think I might be able to modify that slightly to recreate the taste at Cabbages and Condoms:

Remove all meat from crab shells -- use only shells for the first part of cooking, then remove in last 5 minutes

Add some ginger, tumeric and lots of yellow curry powder in the beginning of the cooking process, and consider not using the soy sauce

During last 5 minutes, add conconut milk infused with dried chillis and crab meat