Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Tributes to stars who OD

Liked

Tributes to stars who OD

Former Glee star dies OD overdose...Should the world pay tribute? I think it gives the wrong impression to those left. Interested to hear from others.
    In my mind, any death from drugs should be highlighted and not pay tributes.
    Any thoughts?

Liked

Re: Tributes to stars who OD

Well, I assume the basis for your comments is that you take a very narrow "self-inflicted" point of view to OD deaths?

If so, then do you extend that to AIDS victims or those who die from alcohol related illnesses?

If the "self-inflicted" point of view is NOT the basis for your comment, please tell us what is.

I find it difficult to adopt your black and white approach such matters - circumstances and common humanity dictates otherwise. In my case at least.

:hello2:

Drugs should be legalised and these deaths underline the pointlessness on a war on drugs when drugs are so freely available.

Liked

Actually this example goes quite against the premise for legalizing drugs for precisely the reason you mentioned.

Drug use is as close to legal as you can get here in Vancouver, the city where Cory Monteith died this past July. Heroin, one of the contributors to CoryтАЩs death is readily available on the streets, especially in the Downtown Eastside where the city even provides a safe injection clinic. The concern (rightly so) is more so to prevent the spread of communicable diseases through clean needle exchanges and to provide supervision to address sharing and other issues. Even in the streets, the police presence is more so to supervise the activity, address the other crime that typically surrounds the activity and to rescue overdose victims.

Unfortunately, heroin use continues to be a risky game and people die by accident, through secondary causes or die young compared to the community outside. Sometimes this happens to the poor and distraught addicts and sometimes, as weтАЩve seen in the tabloids it also affects the rich and famousтАж.and of course everyone inbetween. If it's any law, it's the law of natural selection.

Surfcrest