Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koh Chang or Koh Samet?

Liked

Koh Chang or Koh Samet?

I'm thinking of a couple of days away from Pattaya next time and would be interested to hear opinions on the choice between Chang and Samet. I was in/on Koh Chang a couple of years ago and really liked it. Never been to Samet though. Samet is closer to Pattaya, so transport is a bit cheaper, but gets mostly bad reviews in terms of price and service.

I'd be bringing a "friend" with me, so that's not an issue, but just in terms of value for money, decent (1000bt) hotels, or other recommendations would be appreciated. Which would you choose?

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Re: Koh Chang or Koh Samet?

Hi Joe.

BF and I went to Koh Samet for a couple of nights, guess it has been a year or so ago. It was OK and a decent diversion from the Pattaya scene. They have a open air disco right on the beach ("Silversand") which is the place to be at night. As you would probably expect- very laid back and not much to do. If you just want to chill for a couple of days, it will be OK. Frankly, I got pretty bored with it.

Also, you probably recall they had an oil spill in the area not too long ago. Make sure you check into conditions before booking anything, just to make sure the beach where you will be is clean, safe, etc.

I haven't been to Koh Chang, so cannot compare for you.

Actually, I have yet to even take the trip to Koh Larn. BF and I talk about it every visit, but never seem to wake up early enough to make it.

arty

Liked

thanks anonone, yes I'm just looking for a place to relax for a couple of days, so don't need much activity.

Liked

Not really qualified to answer that question, as I have been neither to Koh Chang nor Koh Samet. But I have been to Koh Larn (once, three years ago) and to Ko Si Chang (note the different spelling, off the coast from Sri Ratcha) about five times. I am biased to Koh Si Chang because I have a liason officer there. I think it's a wonderful island! And if you feel homesick for Pattaya, you can climb the mountain and look over to Pattaya. If weather is good, you can see Bangkok in the opposite direction. If you have never heard of or been to Koh Si Chang, I can recommend it (see trip report I did last year).

Liked

thanks, christian - I'll have a look at that.

Liked

and in the end you chose the canaries ??? still whats 5000 miles between friends

Liked

yes timmberty - I'll be having my summer holidays in the Canary Islands next year, rather than in Thailand. I can't afford to go to Thailand - simple, really. If you'd like to pay for a flight, a couple of weeks accommodation and an allowance for boys, I'd be happy to accept.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Me gusta las Islas de Canaria.

Los chicos tambi├йn.

Liked

isnt this an english speaking board ?? i shall contact the management !!!
    sadly joe i shall have to turn down your request, as i shall soon be a poor student. but i am sure you will enjoy the canaries.

Liked

I went to Koh Samet about 3 years ago with a boy I had offed for 2 nights. Took a mini bus from Malibu Travel to Ban Phre port and then a ferry. He found us a basic bungalow type room when we got there. I was told its quieter during the week rather than the weekend when lots of Thais from Bkk arrive. Nice beach but not much else. Wouldn't go again.