I'm surprised by the amount of places in Thailand where free WiFi is available, but it's confined to city areas. Last trip I took my Mini HP Netbook which is set out exactly as my normal 15" HP laptop but less than half the size and weight. I don't have a tablet or iphone because for now my basic mobile & Thai SIM does all I need when in Thailand for communication and I like a compact phone for taking around evenings/nights.

I have the Mini Netbook for use in my room and maybe at the beach if I am catching up with emails etc... all my various hotel/apartment rooms have WiFi as do the beach concessions so no problem Pattaya or Bkk. The problem is when travelling around Thailand and when spending a few days in Issan at bfs village/town.
There is no public access WiFi. Sure there are internet cafes around but it's a hassle finding them and restricted opening times. My last visit I was advised that WiFi/internet connection out and about can only really be picked up through a dongle type of plug-in where you buy the small device and load it with a data allowance.

Anyone used this when in Thailand? I was advised it's about Bt1200-Bt1500 to buy the device then load at the prevailing data usage cost with whatever provider you choose. Anyone have any experience with this for how you go about getting one and maybe what the best provider might be? Any other ideas for alternatives would be appreciated. I wont be travelling with anything other than my basic Thai phone/SIM and HP Mini Netbook, so I wont be considering getting a phone/device with apps etc..