Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: NEW AIRPORT

NEW AIRPORT

BANGKOK June 6 Sapa-AFP

THAILAND WAIVES FEES TO ATTRACT BUDGET CARRIERS TO NEW AIRPORT

Thailand is offering to waive landing fees at BangkokтАЩs new international airport to attract low-cost airlines to the facility which is expected to open in late September, officials said Tuesday.

ThailandтАЩs civil aviation chief Chaisak Angsuwan said budget carriers could begin running test flights with some passengers at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport as early as next month, before the official opening in late September.

"We are offering incentives for those to start flying to the new airport in July," he told AFP.

Thai aviation authorities certified the airport as ready for commercial traffic on May 25 but major international carriers have said they would need at least six months to complete the move from the existing Don Muang airport.

Chaisak said the authorities hoped budget carriers would be able to move more quickly since they tend to be smaller companies with fewer logistical hurdles.

However, the International Air Transport Association, which represents some 250 airlines, urged Thai authorities not to give special treatment to budget carriers.

"IATA demands a level playing field for all carriers that will operate at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The first priority of any airport should be efficiency and lower charges for all airlines," IATA spokesman Albert Tjoeng said from its Singapore office.

Thailand wants to move all commercial flights to Suvarnabhumi while using the old airport for military and charter services.

Suvarnabhumi Airport, whose name means "golden land", has been in the works for more than 40 years but construction delays and claims of graft have repeatedly delayed its opening.

The September opening date will leave one month for the new airport to prepare for heavy traffic during ThailandтАЩs peak tourist season, which begins in late October, Chaisak said.

Thailand hopes the new airport, with an initial capacity of 45 million passengers annually, will surpass rivals Singapore and Malaysia as the regionтАЩs most important hub. Its capacity can be expanded to 120 million passengers annually.

The airport will relieve traffic congestion at BangkokтАЩs existing Don Muang international airport which currently accommoates 38.5 million passengers annually although it was designed to handle only 36 million.

we will see lol

Liked
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked
    From where the Chao Phraya River is outlined I would think the Silom/Surawong district would be closer to the lower edge of the map.

No, he's got it right. That green bulb is Bang Krachao.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Up2U
    " ... From where the Chao Phraya River is outlined I would think the Silom/Surawong district would be closer to the lower edge of the map ... "
    Up2U, I had to draw back on the view over Bangkok to get both airports into the same snapshot. Unfortunately that tended to blur the details significantly. The Chao Phraya does a very large loop which is quite visible (the Green Bulb), but the smaller loop up river (in the Grand Palace area) can hardly be made out.

If you look closely at the small green area right beside the final "K" in "Bangkok" ... that is Lumphini Park, which is just across Rama 4 from Silom/Surawong.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked
    Khao-jai. Khawp khun khrap.

anyone know what will happen taxi wise? will there be a new system /new fleet or all the old ones just move?

Great Picture Smiles! Really shows hows the new airport is going to be MUCH more convenient to people living in Pattaya. I think the taxi ride from the New Airport is going to be much slower to Downtown Bangkok or even Silom area than the old one. It will now make sense to tack your Pattaya portion or your visit at the beginning or end of your visit, rather then going into BKK, then going to Pattaya, and then back to BKK.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeNasty
    Really shows hows the new airport is going to be MUCH more convenient to people living in Pattaya. I think the taxi ride from the New Airport is going to be much slower to Downtown Bangkok or even Silom area than the old one. It will now make sense to tack your Pattaya portion or your visit at the beginning or end of your visit, rather then going into BKK, then going to Pattaya, and then back to BKK.
    Last trip I noticed that from the Bangkok-Chonburi Expressway Suvarnabhumi can be seen on the horizon. I would guess that the ride from the airport to Pattaya should be at least 45 minutes shorter than it currently is from Don Muang.