Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: US Fianc├йe Visa for Thai BF

Liked

Re: US Fianc├йe Visa for Thai BF

NIrish, not only would I love to have the money you spend, but more importantly, I'd love to have your attitude. Hope you continue to spend Mr. Visa's money (and his cousin Mr. Amex too) for a long time to come.

these last few posts should probably be split into a new topic - maybe a poll about how much you spend a day in Pattaya?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Except in backward cuntries like America you dont need "marriage" to get eqaulity you got it already with civil patneship in England all the law reform in 2008 in Australia.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2
    Your British friend and his Burmese bf getting "married" in Vietnam? I wonder if it might not the type of civil partnership that Brad refers to above, which apparently can be arranged through the British Embassy. No reports of any same-sex marriages, foreign or local, being legalized by the Vietnamese government during the 13 years that I have been living in Saigon.
    You are correct Bob. Sorry about that. He could not get a visa for his Burmese BF so he went to Vietnam and entered into a civil partnership which is accepted in England, and that allowed him to get the Visa for his BF. This may be wasted here but I love this. There is one place you can get married in the East Asian part of the world.

http://www.gaytingtong.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8701

Liked

I would like to add my apologies to bobsaigon2 for my part in the slight detour your topic took yesterday. I trust it was of no consequence to you? To make up for it I would like to make an on-topic post.

At no time in the past have I come close to wishing to take part in a civil partnership or a gay marriage. And I canтАЩt see me being interested in getting married to anyone in the foreseeable future.

I think Dodger more than adequately spelt out my feelings on the subject, but I would add that over the years I saw the unpleasant effects on some of my straight colleagues who were going through the very messy process of getting divorced. It was heart breaking to see the emotional distress they were enduring and hearing that they had ended up with virtually nothing after many years of marriage. At those times I thanked my lucky stars that I wasnтАЩt tied into a legal arrangement and was able to simply walk away, without any financial consequences, when my gay relationships ended.

Naturally, I hold the view that gays should not be regarded as second class citizens and be equal before the law. And I fully appreciate that many gay people do want to get married and, of course, as a matter of equality, I agree that the option to get married should be available to gay people. And, if one day I should change my mind, then I think the option to get married should be available to me too.

Thank you Khor tose for providing the link to gaytingtong (not a forum I visit) and the two video clips. I found the reaction to the passing of the Gay Marriage Bill in the New Zealand Parliament very moving. I could not however imagine United Kingdom elected representatives bursting into song at the Palace of Westminster!

And the very emotional speech by Maureen Walsh, in the US Congress, on the subject of the Same Sex Marriage Bill was clearly heart felt and especially heartrending given that she has a lesbian daughter; although slightly cringe worthy when she mentioned that following the death of her husband she missed having sex. I think you would have to have a heart of stone not to be moved emotionally.

But to Khor tose and other members currently in the process of submitting fianc├йe visa applications and planning to get married, I offer my very best wishes for a successful application and a smooth and unencumbered road to the alter.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer
    A good summary of the requirements for a fiancee visa.

Strongly recommend a prenuptial agreement. This is especially important with a fiancee or family visa because of the federal requirement to support the partner for an extended period of time.
    Actually if the marriage is dissolved prior to two years he has to go home unless your individual state has an exception. For example, in some states if he can prove that he was a victim of domestic violence then he can stay. This is one reason why they check for arranged marriages where this is common. Having a partner of two years who never says he was abused and then all of a sudden you are an abuser puts the burden of proof on him.. Completely agree about doing a prenuptial agreement as most states have community property laws and if you did not do one, he gets 1/2 of all the assets. Be advised that to be held up by the courts you should do this at least one month before you are married and you should both be represented by lawyers prior to the contract (and that is what it is) being signed. I am trying to find out now if he can have a Thai lawyer here who will work with an American lawyer in the states. if you have an answer to that I would appreciate it.
    In an ideal world, you would would have the prenuptial agreement drafted by a US lawyer before you began the fiancee visa process and before marriage. You would give the fiancee a copy to review. After the interview at the US embassy in Bangkok and approval of the fiancee visa, the fiancee would enter the US.

At about the 30 day mark in the US, you would slip $500 into the fiancee's pocket and tell him to get a paid legal consultation. He would choose the lawyer of his own choice, without your help, preferable one who speaks and writes the Thai language.

Do not pressure him to sign a prenuptial agreement. However, if he does not sign, do not get married, get him a plane ticket, and send him back before the 90 days are up.

Marriage gives you certain legal rights depending upon the state, and some assets can immediately be divided and maintenance can be awarded.

Under federal law, you are required to provide maintenance under a fiancee visa for at least 10 years.

Many of these problem situations can be mitigated or completely eliminated by a proper prenuptial agreement.

Liked

I completely agree about getting a prenup. One, your American lawyer may be able to work with a Thai lawyer who will represent your boyfriend. I am checking this out now. Two, to be fully accepted by the courts in my state they prefer the prenup was done at least one month before the marriage to your partner. Less is exactly what you describe, sign or leave and that constitutes undo pressure. So the need for the prenup is best months before the wedding.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

From the US sponsor's point of view, I can see the wisdom of having a pre-nup. However, I wonder how the Thai bf will react.
    Will he see it as just another paper that has to be signed in order for him to get to the US, or will he interpret it as a sign that the American bf does not fully trust him?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2
    From the US sponsor's point of view, I can see the wisdom of having a pre-nup. However, I wonder how the Thai bf will react.
    Will he see it as just another paper that has to be signed in order for him to get to the US, or will he interpret it as a sign that the American bf does not fully trust him?
    Depends on the boy and the relationship in all cases. In mine I have discussed this with him way in advance and he understands the need for it. Here he is too old for most Farangs, in the USA he will be much in demand. I am realistic and realize that he may meet someone he wants to be with more then me. Would I try and hold him if he loved another more then me. Absolutely not, as I do care for him and want him to be happy. However, I would not want to lose 1/2 of everything I have at my age. Trust is not really the issue, the issue is what are the best options for both of us. Another factor is that if I should die I have a will that presently leaves everything to him---providing he does not kill me. :happy7: