Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ake's Heartache

Liked

Ake's Heartache

We met at a social gathering, in a group but soon found ourselves talking one to one. Despite his bonhomie, it was clear that something was troubling Ake. This slim and attractive 22 year old was friendly but though his smile was frequent, his eyes betrayed a sadness that he could not hide. His body language was nervous, edgy and there were some suspicious marks on his arms. Gentle small talk turned into a few dead ends but there was something about him that revealed that, deep down, he did want to open up. When he did, his story was tragic.

Ake was a country boy who had moved to the city in order to work in his sisterтАЩs massage shop and it was here that he met an Englishman who invited him out for dinner. Then aged 18, the young man was impressed by the fancy restaurant and even more impressed by the foreignerтАЩs modern and well-appointed house, situated far outside the city. Several dates followed and they became a couple. Soon, Ake had moved into the house and pledged to тАШtake careтАЩ. He had no savings and no income apart from the pocket money he was given but the man was kind and, maybe for the first time in his young life, Ake felt secure.

As is the way with these arrangements, a domestic routine was soon established. They got up quite early in the morning and Ake would prepare breakfast after which the man, in his early sixties, would spend a few hours on his computer while Ake cleaned the house, watered the garden and prepared lunch. The man would always take a nap during the afternoon and Ake passed the time on the computer, keeping in touch with his young Thai friends via Facebook. At the stroke of 4 pm, he would make some tea and knock on the bedroom door, which was kept locked during the siesta- he never understood why but asked no questions.

This continued for four years and all was well until one afternoon, the knock on the bedroom door was unanswered. Tears welled up in AkeтАЩs big brown eyes as he told me what happened next. His slim frame met solid resistance from the door but it eventually yielded and the man looked like he was asleep. He was dead. A heart attack was AkeтАЩs guess. He smoked too much, drank too much and took little exercise. Ake had never seen a corpse before and he really did not know what to do. His mind was confused, he was scared, and there were no friends nearby. Then he remembered that the man had a brother in England and the number was in the dead manтАЩs phone.

Crying, he made the call and broke the news. The brother demanded to know who he was. Ake told him and did not understand why the man was shouting but did get that he would be in Thailand on the next available flight. It was three days before the taxi drew up outside the house and disgorged the man, his wife and his sister. Three days with just food from the cupboards as Ake could not drive the car. Three days of crying and worry about what would happen. Had he done something wrong? Three days of sharing the house with a dead man. Three days of terror.

It was more than unfortunate that the manтАЩs family had no idea that their dead relative was gay. They refused to believe that Ake was his partner and abused him for suggesting it. It was more than unfortunate that there was no will. They threw Ake out onto the street with a knapsack full of his clothes and just a couple of hundred baht in his pocket. He does not know what happened to the man, the house or the family. He does not know why he feels so guilty and has started to self-harm- explaining those marks on his arms. He does not question why the man made no provision for him. I do. Affection and a semblance of security are secondary to respect and responsibility. Is it not obvious that if you have a much younger lover that certain plans have to be made? And how can you tell a heartbroken boy like Ake that his lover was a thoughtless shit?
    James Barnes
    Editor-in-chief
    OUT in Thailand Magazine
    [url="http://www.out-in-thailand.com"]http://www.out-in-thailand.com[/url]
    [url="http://www.out-in-thailand.com/facebook"]www.out-in-thailand.com/facebook[/url]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Ake's Heartache

Thoughtless - no selfish more like :-(( Sad story and if not true so easy how one could see how easily it could and probably does happen in Thailand in both gay and str8 arrangements - is it a bit of wonder the boys try to secure what they can when they can from us as it would be a brave man that shows his new guys that "don't worry I've written you into my will and you get my half a million dollars life insurance should I die" - ground floor apartment definitely in order if that's the case I fear ! ;-)

Liked

The scenario is, unfortunately, not unique to Thailand.

Here in the UK, I believe a rather famous knighted film actor and entertainer - on being committed by his family to an Nursing Home due to Alzheimer's - left his partner of many, many years in the same situation.

I understand the partner got next to nothing and was forbidden to even visit the Nursing Home. I heard this from one of the Care Home staff in whom he confided.

I won't say the name because I don't believe the full extent of the situation was public knowledge - and even though the actor is now dead, it is third-party information.

Moral of both stories - it's sensible to take all steps necessary to keep your money-grabbing bastard relatives at bay once you pop your clogs or lose your marbles. They've probably spent the last 50 years calling you an old Poof anyway!! Unfortunately many do not like to think of their own mortality and do not take these steps (myself included)

Liked

Sadly this almost exactly similar scenario occurred in Hong Kong.

I had a BF whose previous BF had died unexpectedly. The grotesque family arrived from the UK, leeched off the distraught BF, removed and took everything plus they left a string of debts. These were Christians, by the way. The BF was grief stricken and bereft; when I met him he didn't tell me about all this until just before he committed suicide when the odious debt collectors were chasing him to his grave. He didn't want to be a bother to me. You may imagine how this has affected me.

The world can be a hateful place. I feel for Ake.

SS.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks, OP. This thread reminded me to continune making wire transfers to my US dollar account here in Vietnam. If the need arises, regulations allow me to repatriate the dollars. Otherwise, due to our executing a Power (Letter) of Attorney with the bank, my partner will have full access to the amout on deposit when I pass away, thus eliminating the need for a will, probate, etc. I trust my siblings implicitly but when the time comes, they might not be able to figure out how to make disbursements from my will to overseas recipients...... and they might be a bit shocked to learn that my partner of all these years turns out to be of the same sex as me....whatever that might be. :-)

Liked

It could be that the old guy knew what he was doing and didn't want his roommate or boyfriend to get anything once he died. It could be that the guy was as miserable in real life as some trolls are when on the internet
    These are the good'ol days

Liked

The Op described a houseboy not a boyfriend and houseboy hardly should be entitled to any kind of inheritance. Everybody who ever had a Thai boyfriend (and apparently nobody participating in this thread so far ever did)
    knows that he understands his status very well and will never perform the duties of house boy. In most of the cases bf will remind more than once about postmortem arrangements to his farang and will definitely make sure that he is not out without nothing. Why OP posted such bullshit which has nothing to do with reality and tries to portray gay farangs in relationships with Thais in such a negative and unrealistic light is frankly beyond me.

Liked

And how can you tell a heartbroken boy like Ake that his lover was a thoughtless shit?
    Thoughtless shit? I would have chosen different words.

(Side note: ricequeendiary stopped blogging because some comment on his last post, that a tourist who prays to the crematorium in a wat is not "stupid", but "ignorant".)

Liked

Like many of us the Englishman probably thought he was immortal. The number of people who come to see me in my practice who don't have a Will is truly astounding. I was somewhat amused by the comment that Ake whiled away his lonely hours catching up with his young Thai friends on Facebook. The entire story reads like a highly fictionalized account of an anecdote heard third-hand, written by someone who fancies himself as a story-teller.
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Please note that Ake is a real guy, with real feelings and what was written in the original post was the story as he told it to me.

JB.
    James Barnes
    Editor-in-chief
    OUT in Thailand Magazine
    [url="http://www.out-in-thailand.com"]http://www.out-in-thailand.com[/url]
    [url="http://www.out-in-thailand.com/facebook"]www.out-in-thailand.com/facebook[/url]