Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy
There by the grace go all of us who ever travel on Thailand's roads :-(
That crash is truly awful. I am one of those who regularly drives around Thailand roads and the Saraburi by-pass is one I travel a lot and rely on grace quite a bit. The main carriageway around the Saraburi area which is the main artery from Issan to Bkk is a very wide one so that must have been some wild detour by the truck.

Buses and trucks are the one's I look out for all the time, buses can fly up behind you at over 100 kph and you just gotta get out of the way, I change lanes long before they get near me, trucks never give way and you've got to read situations, but one of the reasons I prefer to drive myself is that I am in control. I even hate the driving of Thai friends, they think nothing of overtaking blind and just creating a third 'lane' in the middle of the road, also they drive way too close to vehicles in front of them, I much prefer to be in the driving seat. I've seen tons of close shaves but never been involved myself, given the amount of vehicles on the main arterial roads, the speed some of them go in terrible driving conditions and the awful driving skills I am really amazed I don't see a lot more accidents.

There is absolutely no politeness as on Euro roads, just selfish aggression when I comes to 'give way' situations. Definitely the brand and size of your vehicle decides priority. In the UK someone pushing in with a high end car will get the opposite consideration from other drivers. But as you are a visitor to their country you've just got to go along with it as best you can. But one notable difference is that if someone cuts you up or you them it's normally a smile which is the reaction, in the Uk its a guaranteed middle finger and road rage.