Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok - Pinnacle Lumpinee hotel

Liked

Re: pinnacle lumpinee hotel bangkok

My Thai bf and I stayed there last weekend.

Have stayed before...several times ...several years ago.
    But it has been nicely upgraded and remodeled.

Booked the night on Hotels.com
    and paid approx. 1,500 THB for Superior Room ....included all taxes/fees.
    Had room on 9th floor...corner room as well. For lowest priced room on website of Hotels.com.

Two buffet breakfasts included...eggs cooked to order...
    automatic pancake machine unique and good tasting pancakes produced...two at a time in about a minute.
    Many other Thai and American styled breakfast offerings on the buffet.

Hotel has FREE WiFi throughout and works well.

Great location...easy to use Skytrain/underground near hotel.. a very short walk to entrance.
    Taxis reasonable in Bangkok...some will use meter, some not.
    NEVER argue with Taxi Driver.

The Chinese Caf├й on same side of street as hotel...is excellent :-)
    Reasonable and my Thai bf says Very Good!

I highly recommend it...great value!

tj
    Tj

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bert160
    Thanks for the info.
    Surfcrest, I am 5 days in bangkok, so I would like to explore the city, since its my first visit.
    On my list: important temples, royal palace, floating market as daytime visits, but also would like to visit a sauna with thin Thai guys around, a hot gogo bar and have some massage experiences (foot, body...other?).

Taxi seems cheap, are there taximeters? Also at night?
    Is Bangkok "dangerous" in the evening?
    You can easily go to this temples and Royal Palace by changing from the subway to the Skytrain at Silom/Saladaeng. First time it might be a littlebit confusing, but have you done it one time, then......

I have never taken a taxi from this area Pinnacle/Vincents/Malaysia without the meter was on.

As it it you first visit to Bangkok, I am sure we all have some tricks about taxis:
    Normally always take a taxi from the street that is driving, do as the thais, open the frontdoor, and say where you want to go and on meter, if the driver agree, he will nod and you wll be on your way.

Another example: If you are in Silom Soi 4 or 2 and want a taxi home (staying in Sathorn) don't take the ones waiting outside the sois. They have been waiting maybe long time for a customer, and will maybe try to rip you off.
    Cross Silom Road and take one of the taxis waiting there, open the door, say sawade krap, Pinnacle Hotel/Soi Ngam Duplee, then it would be very strange if you should have any problems.

Liked: 1

What's the best/easiest/cheapast option to get from the airport to the hotel?

Book through Jimmy he can save money over internet prices. Below is his email and mobile number...I was just there in June...This price was for 2 people and 2 breakfasts...

Jimmy First <jimmyfirst@hotmail.com>;

IMPORTANT: Please note this booking was made through J.F. Holidays, and WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER CHECKING-IN AT THE RECEPTION, you must contact me at the Pinnacle in room 1312, BETWEEN 12 NOON AND 3 PM, or call me on my mobile phone, # 081-859-6585, to make payment(CASH ONLY) for the room(s), and NOT TO THE HOTEL. If you don't do this, you will NOT receive the following special room rates :

Daily Rate = 1,340 baht per night

Easiest way is take a taxi from public taxi stand at airport....Tell them Pinnacle Hotel, Rama 4 , Soi Gnam Duplee about 250 baht

Liked

And the cheapest way is to get the slower train from the lower level of the airport to Makkasan station (30 baht or so), exit from there and cross the railway line to Phetchaburi underground station, then get the tube train just a few stops to Lumphini station (maybe 25 baht). The hotel is ten minutes walk from there. If you're too early to check in then this can be a way to pass the time. Though Thai hotels tend to be flexible about early check ins if they have a room. A taxi to there might cost about 280-330 baht, including the highway fees. The driver will ask for the latter so it's good to have some small notes.

to pattayabob

Well I booked via Agoda.com and I payed for a DOUBLE superior room 1600 baht. So there not so much difference...

Because I booked a double room in the Pinnacle, I suppose I don't have to pay a joiner when I take a boy to my room?

But thanks anyway for the good advice.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by adman5000
    I like the Chinese restaurant across Soi Ngam Duplee from the hotel. A bit pricey for BKK but I have enjoyed every dish I ever had there. Great Dim Sum, BBQ Chicken is popular, Baked Imperial Crab and many great dishes both Thai and Chinese. A fun place to take several friends and share. Good Service.
    I can't see it on Google maps today, but right next to the Pinnacle there was a simple - but often crowded - restaurant called Sun-Moon that was simple but good food popular often with my friend. I'm remembering it as being on the same side of the street, but it's been five years. Now it looks like it may be a dental clinic. One trip my friend was sick, not wanting to leave our room, and that's where I'd pick up take-away for him... hot and sour soup, etc.

This is how it looked when I was waiting for his soup/dinner one evening:

As for the Pinnacle, I haven't ever had a bad experience there, but I like to try new places so I haven't been there in a while. Probably should do a post about it, I guess, but there have only been two requests for one.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bert160
    Thanks for the info.
    Surfcrest, I am 5 days in bangkok, so I would like to explore the city, since its my first visit.
    On my list: important temples, royal palace, floating market as daytime visits, but also would like to visit a sauna with thin Thai guys around, a hot gogo bar and have some massage experiences (foot, body...other?).

Taxi seems cheap, are there taximeters? Also at night?
    Is Bangkok "dangerous" in the evening?
    Probably the easiest option for you would be to head down to the taxi's (BKK) Level 2, tell them where you are going and just go.
    Once you jump off the Expressway for hotels downtown you are likely to pass Soi Ngan Duplee first and because they drive on the left and Ngan Duplee is on the left, you'll be there fairly quickly. Going to Silom by taxi is easy enough, again because you are going that direction in the left side from Ngan Duplee.
    Going back to the hotel by taxi from Silom is a completely other matter and so during the day the MRT makes good sense. At night you'll need a metered cab and make sure the meter is in use when you depart.....as some taxi's insist on a (fat) flat fee, given traffic and the turning / detours to get you back.

From Silom or Sala Daeng BTS you can travel to the river (Saphan Taksin) and take the Chao Phraya Express down the river to the temples. No need to stop at the both / desk for a ticket......this is for tourist tour boats with commentary...with specific tourist stops only. For the regular and cheaper boat and stopping at all stops, just get in line and pay once you get on the boat when they come around with the tickets, shaking the coins / change.

The MRT will take you to Chakuchak Market....there is a stop that will take you right inside.
    From the Pinnacle, you can take a motor cycle taxi during daylight hours to Babylon...just down Soi Ngan Duplee.
    The Pinnacle is where they sit...on the corner of Ngan Duplee and Rama 4.

Yes you can walk to Silom from the Pinnacle, but you'll need to cross Wireless Road to get there.
    That's not as easy as it sounds, especially on that side of Rama IV and at night.
    When walking down the sidewalks in Bangkok, you'll need to watch out for dog turd at your feet and motorcycles coming up the sidewalk from behind you.

Good Luck with your plans Bert!

Surfcrest

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Yes you can walk to Silom from the Pinnacle, but you'll need to cross Wireless Road to get there.
    That's not as easy as it sounds, especially on that side of Rama IV and at night.
    No, I think you've got your wires or your roads crossed there Surfcrest. Wireless Road does not extend to 'that side' of Rama IV. The main road to be crossed is Sathorn, which is easily done using the pedestrian bridges.