Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sihanookville, Cambodia

Liked

Re: Sihanookville, Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    Due to the lack of support from the international gay community this last high season, we are thinking of turning Cheers Cambodia into a straight resort, if only 10% of the gay tourists visiting Sihanoukville stayed here instead of staying in other places, but just coming to our great bar to see the shows, enjoy great music, food & drinks, we would be expanding, making sauna, massage etc.

The next season 2013/2014 will be the test, if nothing changes, there will be no 100% Gay Bar, Hotel or Restaurant in Sihanoukville in the year 2015.

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com/index.php

Thanks for the link. Sounds like the kind of owner I would avoid at all costs. Maybe he should indeed trying switching to a different concept. But I would guess it won't make a whole lot of difference. His responses to negative reviews on Trip Advisor are quite illuminating.

Liked

Here's the low-down on Sihanoukville, and why it sucks as a gay destination (for now).

I'm a local, 41, my guy is 19 (what can I say... I enjoy the finer things!).

There are zero gay bars in town, except for the hotel bar at Cheers, which is fairly dead all the time. The problem with Cheers is, it's far away from everything. People here are very localized, and anything further than a two-minute moto ride from Serendipity/Ochheuteal is generally too far. Cheers would be a lot more busy if it were closer to where most people go. The B-Zone was open for a while, but it was poorly run, and did not have a reputation befitting to a place where gay men would go to hook up... the staff would smile and flirt (it's their job), but the place did not attract any "money boys", which I know would have drawn in a lot more customers.

Khmer guys are amazing - the problem is they are far shier than Thais.. keeping this in mind, Pattaya, where general human complacence leads most to go to the numerous bars and go-gos to hook up does not happen here. Basically, what most people do is hang out at beach bars during the day (most have boys working in them), until you see someone you like. Most respond well to winks and smiles, and eventually you'll elicit a positive response, and take it from there.... then there's the ID issue.

Most beach boys don't have ID cards because they are from the villages - which presents a problem for those who like young (18-20). Getting ID cards are not easy - they have to go to their home village, get the "family book", if one exists, and take it to the provincial capital, where it will take up to 6 months unless a bribe of $20-50 is given to "speed things along". Quite a change from Thailand where 99% of guys have ID. It took me three months, a trip to the village and $40 to get my fella's ID.

Besides the obvious reasons for needing ID are the NGO's that plague Cambodia. Believe me, they will spy on foreign men in the company of *anyone* that may be underage (since they DO look much younger than they are). They're ruthless and have nothing else to do - so make sure any companions have ID on them.

Another issue are two types of people who visit - both equally hostile: 1) Gap-year backpacking girls, who judge anyone who is not a gap-year backpacker, and 2) The ex-Pattaya Soi Buakao crowd - the grupy, fat old straight men who hate anyone who doesn't have a Man-U tattoo on their head and spend all day drinking Chang at beer bars.

If anyone is wondering why I live here under such conditions - it's a long story, but I'm quite happy, have a good fella, and a group of good friends. It's an interesting place to be sure... just not the easiest place for fun unless you're willing to invest some time and money. Phnom Penh is a much better bet if you're looking to hook up - then take them to Sihanoukville.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Great update ashoka, thank you.

Liked

Ashoka- Thank you for the great insight into local customs and challenges. I visited Sihanookville by bus from Phnom Penh back several years ago. I absolutely loved the people-friendly and very handsome. I was able to entertain myself but I found the guys very very shy until they got to know you. I do not ride motorcycles so it was a challenge for me to get around town. I stayed at the Golden Sand Hotel which at pickup by van from bus station, was a short walk to the beach, good price, clean, and ok in all respects. I would like to go back in the future.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

One of my brother's has lived in Sihanoukville for a few years now and loves it. I visited once and wasn't impressed - I won't be returning.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

There may not be a thoroughly gay establishment but there is a stretch of beach where locals and farang cruise. It is named Outres Beach, about 1.5 km south (?) of The Snook. In fact, there is a club on Planet Romeo with a small but devoted membership called Sihanoukcruisin. Herewith its blurb:

Club for guys from Sihanoukville who like to have sex on the beach. On Otres-Beach are 1.5 km free beach space in the nature.
    Join this club to exchange tips on where to have sex, and to find guys who are open to meet at such places :)

So what is Cruising?
    Cruising is the act of walking or driving about a locality in search of a sex partner, usually of the anonymous, casual, one-time variety.

Men looking for other men on the Otres-Beach in Sihanoukville and having sex together. So some spot near the beach are very public, so take care, to do it discret.

Liked

I didn't see much cruising on that beach, but I suppose it is as good a place as any to look in that town.

When the cruising fails, which websites are most common for dating in Cambodia?