Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs for the boys

Liked

Jobs for the boys

I am sure I have read a similar posting on this, but can't recall if it was on here, or elsewhere.

Before you all start flaming me tutting at me...I am just after some thoughts.

Situation is friend works in massage and he knows he is reaching the end of "his shelf" life, as the off's are getting less and less. When I next go across in November he wants to talk about his future and job. (OK, OK before you say anything, I am well aware the conversation with get round to cash at somepoint!)

After driving myself insane reading posts, mainly about bars girls, I want to make some suggestions to him. Hopefully not involving too much cash and something where he can stand on his own 2 feet and have some sort of regular income coming in. He has a basic school education and that's it, so I know his options are limited. But I do know he is willing to work hard.

From what I've read the education route is a bad idea. Don't laugh but i did think I could get one get him one of those food or fruit carts. But probably a bad idea.

Putting the "find a rich Farang" to one side. Anyone have any suggestions?

Liked

Re: Jobs for the boys

Ohhh, I'm qualified to answer this one! Kim's done nearly everything -- selling shirts, gaew-tiao, somtam, chicken, BBQ, beads & necklaces, hairdresser for weddings & morlam concerts, singer / dancer at morlam concerts, flower arrangements for weddings / funerals., and a bunch of other things I probably don't remember.

Without question, selling BBQ at the market was by far the best earner. I don't mean a BBQ restaurant, but a stall at the market where they sell the meat, veggies, and broth pre-packaged for people to take home and cook themselves. Wasn't even very expensive either. I paid 4500 baht for a piece of shit work bike, I think another 3000 baht for a side-cart + installation, then an ice chest, some tables, a blender, some food to get him started, etc. I think all in it was 15,000 baht from nothing to selling at the market.

It was a great earner too. He was making 500 - 900 baht/day, profit. He'd come home with say 2500 baht, 1700 of which went back into supplies for the next day. No idea why BBQ was such a great earner compared to the rest, but without question it was the best one. Second best would be selling shirts, but you need a truck for that one to pack everything to the different markets, as you have the fencing / cages, mannequins, etc.

As always though, it's their work ethic that fucks them. Kim lasted a couple weeks selling BBQ, and that was it. A couple months later, I wake up from a nap to learn the work bike + sidecart had been sold that day because him and his friends ran out of whiskey. Disrespectful assholes.

EDIT: Or just working as a waiter, Kim was bringing in between 300 - 600 baht/day as well. Not much for us, but it's more than enough to get by decently for them. No startup capital needed either. Just wake your ass up, and get to the restaurant on time. Kim lasted about a week at that one.

EDIT 2: I have no idea, but singer / dancer at morlam concerts may have been the best earner, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was. Only problem is, whatever they make gets pissed away on whiskey during the after-hours party. I have no idea how much he made doing that, but I think there's a chance it was pretty decent. He just never managed to hold onto any of it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

WHERE about would that be? Major Pattaya etc touristy town or back to home=Isan?
    IF he can really do a good proper massage and If he likes it, those shops multiply by the dozen in every tourist area, which seems Ok as long as the nr of incoming tourists also grows. Some formal course for it might then be needed though, to satisfy the employer.
    Does he by now have some langauge skills and (still?) has the ability and will to serve those farang people-like in any touristy establishment? Waiters, hotel-service-people etc,. are in high demand, esp. IF they do have a reasonable command of the phaasaa angkrit.
    For a proper job-assignment, I've learnt one should look into 3 things: What CAN I do (both skills and education), What do i WANT to do? What are the possibilities?-in TH these last are determined for a large part by area. Plus that for Thai one should honestly and relaibly assess the ''willing to go working"" preposition-as Cnmac has pointed out.

Liked

Really useful thanks guys.

Your story about Kim makes me smile! I shall have to read back on your posts.

I guess the key is him doing something he wants to do, for him to stand a chance of sticking at it. And I am assuming staying in the tourist area is probably a better bet whether its professional massage or selling food.

I do agree that the Thai work ethic does sometimes leave a lot to be desired! But I guess thatx probably down to the individual.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by adquelo
    I guess the key is him doing something he wants to do, for him to stand a chance of sticking at it.
    Honestly, I'd say the key is who he surrounds himself with. Like the old saying goes, you're only as strong as the five people you spend the most time with. If you surround yourself with losers, you're probably going to become a loser. If you surround yourself with hard working, honest individuals, good chance you're going to become a hard working and honest individual.

That's where Kim went south. He's from the village, not the city, so when we moved to Khon Kaen he didn't have any friends. He went looking for acceptance, and after going through several groups of friends, settled on one group. They were loyal friends and they had a good time together, but nonetheless, they were total losers.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Adquelo...

If your friend is a responsible person with a good work ethic he should be able to find a job on his own especially if he's living in Pattaya. There are many boys working in the department stores, hotels, restaurants, specialty shops etc. who once made their living in the beer bar - gogo bar - massage parlor scene who seem to have made the transition. If he speaks English all the better.

History has it that when a farang buys a business for his Thai BF the boy eventually ends up selling the business and the farang ends up being disappointed and holding a much lighter wallet. I think CDMatt emphasized this reality very well. Coversely, history has it that when a Thai boy has no other choice (no sponsoring farang) but to find work on his own he always does. it may not be a job he likes - the pay may be lousy - but it's a job.

I think you're motivational support would be benefitial to him, but ignoring history may have its shortcomings.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

dodger, know that you have a lot of Thailand experience, but somehow I get the distinct impression that once you choose to be a gogo boy...and earn good money this way...with minimal effort....its extremely unlikely that you will go work in a 7-11 for a 5th of the money....I would say that only a small minority manage the trasition gracefully.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

latintopxxx wrote:

dodger, know that you have a lot of Thailand experience, but somehow I get the distinct impression that once you choose to be a gogo boy...and earn good money this way...with minimal effort....its extremely unlikely that you will go work in a 7-11 for a 5th of the money....I would say that only a small minority manage the trasition gracefully.
    I think your right, but when they reach retirement age (which is about 28) and have no other choice but to move on they simply disappear from the scene. A lot of the retired str8 boys end up back on the farm...the ladyboys end up working in the back room of some small caberet somewhere and the gay boys who weren't fortunate enought to latch on to a sponsoring farang (or two) end up selling mobile phones at Tukcom.

You're absoultely right about the fact that once a working boy gets used to making the big bucks on the working scene that it's unlikely they would even consider a job at a 7/11 - but when they are left with no other choice it gets interesting. One day they're a star earning more money than the mayor - and the next day a shifty and aggressive tuk tuk driver in Bangkok.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    One day they're a star earning more money than the mayor - and the next day a shifty and aggressive tuk tuk driver in Bangkok.
    And still earning more than the mayor !

Forum's veteran
    Liked

jinks...now you're messing with my little brain......for sure landing the plum job of major with all the planning consent authority is a avenue to great under the table gifting....the official salary would not even cover his electricity bill.
    But seriously...where do all the "expired"gogo boys end up....surely not back on some farm...actually labouring under a hot sun...