Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose Hotel,Bangkok

Liked

Rose Hotel,Bangkok

Has anyone either stayed at or have up to date reliable info on Rose Hotel, Surawong Rd. Bangrak. Any problems with joiners???
    I usually stay at Sathorn Inn when in Bangkok, (no probs with joiners) thought this trip would like to try something a bit more up-market. Sathorn Inn is Ok, @ 950/night, Rose is only 1600, so for the relatively small price difference the Rose looks more enticing than Sathorn Inn.

I know the Rose has been the subject of inquiries previously but the posts date back to 2008. Things change so often in Thailand

Liked

Re: Rose Hotel,Bangkok

Haven't stayed for about 6 months but the Rose tends not to change. I've been staying there since the late 1970s although I didn't stay much in the early nineties when the hotel was very rundown. Some of the staff have been there for more than twenty years. You get the feeling that they have seen everything in that time and know everything you get up to within a kilometre of the hotel!

I've never been charged a joiner fee but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a variable thing. If you are an unfavoured guest there is a possibility of a fee being charged. I've witnessed irate guests protesting the charge at check out. They were inevitably people who were loud, demanding or generally obnoxious. It's the staff revenge mechanism.

I've found that reception doesn't require guest IDs to be checked unless they think you have a minor in tow, or someone they know to be or think might be trouble, or you want to have the ID held or checked. Since I have a preference for the more muscular, mature companion, I just walk through reception with a quiet greeting to the staff. I also book a double room although that is just a formality as the cost is the same whether there is one or two occupants.

The rooms are not the largest in Bangkok, the central atrium hasn't changed since the place was built in the 1960s and breakfast finishes sharply at 10.00am. It isn't worth getting out of bed if you value sleep. Some find the laneway to Suriwong Rd a bit downmarket but that's part of the ambiance.

On the positive side, the hotel is well located for the nightlife (you can walk through the adjoining Montien Hotel forecourt and enter Soi Twilight from near Classic if you do not want to run the gauntlet of touts). The Sam Yan metro is 150 metres away and Sala Daeng Skytrain station is a 15 minutes walk as is the Central department store. This isn't a hotel where you are likely to encounter children although there is a mix of breeders but they tend to be quiet and keep their depravity to themselves. The best, however, is the swimming pool. It has to be the best in Bangkok and is rarely crowded.

Enjoy your stay.

Liked

I have stayed at the Rose half a dozen times over the last three years, I always book a room for double occupancy direct with the hotel and normally get a decent room only rate. I have never experienced any issue taking a "friend" back - though agree with Giessen that it perhaps helps if you have booked the room for double use. Sometimes they take the ID card but always just smile as you pass reception.

Whilst the rooms are not that large they are clean, pretty modern and comfortable, the location is great for the local night life and you have the added advantage of a nice pool in a very pleasant little garden at the back - I have also had no issue taking a boy back to the pool either for a pleasant few beers and a swim in the afternoon!

Their Thai restaurant in the teak building next to the pool is also excellent for a more special meal, in very authentic surroundings. they give residents a 10% discount making it a bit more affordable

I would certainly recommend the place!

Liked

Fully endorse comments regarding their restaurant in the teak house overlooking the swimming pool ....very relaxing ambiance and great food...well worth a visit

Liked

I have stayed there numerous times and never had to pay a joiners fee. I like the staff there as they have seen it all. Good location and value.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

I have made many posts over the years praising the Rose Hotel. It is right in the centre of the action but down the end of a quiet soi.
    There is certainly no joiners fee and they always collect the guy's ID card.
    The all female staff are very....er...understanding and give you a strange look if you come back to the hotel alone!
    I was there a few weeks ago, although I didn't take a visitor back - and they asked me if I was ok!!! They are so used to me arriving with a guy in tow.
    I paid the price mentioned above. Only problem is you have to pay for wifi - 100 baht per hour, and it is fairly slow.
    And I endorse the comments about the restaurant - it's awesome. Most times, I've been the only customer. What a waste!
    Pool is nice, too.

Liked

They aske for boy ID when I stayed there .

And the rooms are small but ok for a night.

Liked

Thanks for the info gentlemen, looks like I have a new choice of place to stay in Bangkok.

cheers

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447
    Only problem is you have to pay for wifi - 100 baht per hour and it is fairly slow.
    That's a big problem in 2013. More cost, more hassle.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

I find it simpler when on a trip and staying in different places to just get a usb broadband stick to put into a laptop for connections.