Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Cambodia

Liked

Moving to Cambodia

Hello everyone,

New here so please bear with me.

I am thinking of moving to Cambodia, and would like any info on relocation guidelines, relocaters and all.
    Sianoukeville, Spelling?, is my destination.

I have a housefull of furniture and 2 dogs, and 125cc motorbike.

Plus I have no idea about paperwork and so on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

Liked

Re: Moving to Cambodia

I think this forum is more for tourists, but a better place for you to go would be

http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum

I would contact the owner of the gay restaurant there and ask for help.

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com/index.php

They go on leave for all June for staff holiday. Best to contact him straight away.

Ideally it could be the start point for you, to base yourself and commence looking around, if he accepts your dogs

BTW what are your dogs.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Hi Lonelywombat,

Thanks for the reply. I will contact them today and as you said start from there.
    I have 2 Chihuahuas, Rita and Chico. More like rugrats though.

Well, as I said, please bear with me.
    I thought this post would appear in the Gay Thailand section. How do I move it there in order to get a response from Pattayans who have done this, or at least explored it?
    AAHHHHH, the pleasures of childbirth and raising him right.

Thanks guys, Gene

Liked: 1

Just to get a very quick knowledge of the daily life in Cambodia I can recommend the book: "CAMBODIAS CURSE a moderne history of a troubled land" by Joel Brinkley. It is published in 2011 and gives the stories of a people living in a country divided between a thousand year old way of life and an attempt to catch up with the new millenium with corruption and violence.
    тАЬThe only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.тАЭ
    тАХ Theodore Roosevelt

Liked

Not sure if this will be of any use to you, but my brother moved to Snooky about 3 years ago. He uses an annual business visa which I think costs a couple of hundred dollars. He doesn't have to do visa run which he would do if living in Thailand.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Have you been there before? Certainly before making any decisions I would say spend at least a couple of months to see if it's a good fit for you.

Liked

I would spend at least 2 weeks in Siem Reap, the Phnom Penh & finally Snooky before making any decisions (min 6 weeks).

Liked

My biggest concern about moving to Cambodia was the lack of quality medical care and health services. I regard Thailand's healthcare system (cities) as very good - excellent.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Agree with adman500, I hear Cambodia is not somewhere you want to have a serious illness or accident and end up in hospital. A simple search on a site like InterNations or another ex-pat site will highlight that pretty quickly. I understand anything more serious than an ingrowing toenail results in a medi-vac to Singapore or Bangkok.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by adman5000
    My biggest concern about moving to Cambodia was the lack of quality medical care and health services. I regard Thailand's healthcare system (cities) as very good - excellent.
    I don't know how good it is, but the Royal Angkor International Hospital in Siem Reap says it is affiliated with the Bangkok Hospital Medical Center. The Royal Rattanak Hospital in Phnom Penh is also part of the Bangkok Hospital group, according to its website. If I were considering relocating to Cambodia, I'd investigate both of these hospitals to check on their facilities, services, and staff qualifications.