Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators access to PM accounts private content

Liked

Moderators access to PM accounts private content

Can surfcrest please confirm that an allegation made by Neal as captncrunch on gaybuttons forum that moderators on SGF can 'break in' to or access PM accounts and read private content is completely false?

I'm hoping and expecting that it is just another bitter outburst from Neal with no foundation. It seems he may be back in his "betrayal of trust" mode.

Liked

Re: Moderators access to PM accounts private content

I would be most interested as to the veracity or otherwise of this astonishing claim made by the former owner of this Board.

He previously vehemently denied such a thing was possible.

Now, it seems, he is alleging /freely admitting/boasting it can in fact be done by using Admin/Moderators privileges to (as Newallan reports) break into a Members account and change the password - thus allowing access to the Members PM folders.

Liked

Anything is possible.
    I can imagine one way of doing it.
    Change the email address of a member and then force a new password request/generation that is sent to the changed email address and use the new password to log In and rea all their mail.

When you are done, put the email address back and push out a new password request/generation and post that the board is suffering a glitch and some may need to reset their password.
    These are the good'ol days

Liked

admin and moderators (moderators depending on their access level) have only access to the log in details, which are email, username, ip and such.
    The password can NOT be seen, not even an xxxxxx, it is just an empty field.

However they can change the password, which will give them access, since now they can log in as the member they changed the password of.

However, since they never knew the old password, they can not set it back to the original password.

So, if suddenly you can not log in to your account, but are 100% sure the details are correct maybe something fishy happened.

In the forums/boards database where the passwords are stored (as all information), they are encryted.

Liked

Can Google see what's inside your Gmail account?

Liked

Of course Google and all other email providers can see everything, including BIG BROTHER (is watching you)

You people are all so paranoid, in my book that means you have something to hide. :laughing3:

If it is really so private, print it and after delete it.

If it is illegal, don't do it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLegs
    If it is really so private, print it and after delete it.

If it is illegal, don't do it.
    Pretty much. If you're sending confidential information via the PM system on SGT (or any forum on the internet), then you're an idiot, and whether or not the admins can view your PM box is the least of your worries.

Liked

If you want to know what is on the net available about yourself, just Google your email address.

Makes you think twice about having a public email (if you have something to hide).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLegs
    If you want to know what is on the net available about yourself, just Google your email address.
    Makes you think twice about having a public email (if you have something to hide).
    I did as you suggested and absolutely nothing of a personal nature came up. Just links to some threads I've posted on at Sawatdee and Gaybutton. Other than that ... no secret, personal, my-eyes-only stuff. Big deal ... both those message boards have my email address open to the public and always has been. If I had of left my email address on those sites strictly private (which is an option in the Control Panel) then I would expect hardly anything would have come up.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Like I said, IF you have something to hide, which most people have not