Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Mobile Phone

Mobile Phone

Does anyone know if a Motorola RAZR V3 Quad-Band from America will work in Thailand? I have service with Cingular. I was wanting to know if I can buy a sim card in Thailand and if it will work in this phone. Thanks for any help.

Re: Mobile Phone

Quote Originally Posted by jefferyj
    Does anyone know if a Motorola RAZR V3 Quad-Band from America will work in Thailand? I have service with Cingular. I was wanting to know if I can buy a sim card in Thailand and if it will work in this phone. Thanks for any help.
    Buying a SIM card is cheap and very easy. Im sure your phone will work as i saw 2 american chaps most days at my hotel on their phones.

Yes, it will work.

Liked

Yes...if

It will work if it is unlocked. That is, if it is not locked by Cingular to use only its network. Since I don't know what it is their current policy, better ask Cingular. I read somewhere that Cingular will provide instructions on how to unlock a phone as a courtesy to certain customers.

Otherwise, do as I do. If locked, take your cellphone to a reseller (specially those in Chinatowns). For a fee of $10, my phone was unlocked.

P.S. How to check if your phone is locked? Depending on the brand, the network under settings will show a lock sign that is in the lock position.

Liked
    I own this phone, it is a world phone and it worked fine for me while in Thailand. As others have said it must be unlocked. I've had other phones unlocked at the cell phone shops near the IT Center. If you are ambitious you can download the "unlock" codes from InterNet for free or a nominal charge.

I have the same phone. It will work fine in Thailand. If it is unlocked, you can buy and use a local sim card.

If you got it through Cingular, it is a locked phone. If you have been a Cingular suscriber for more than 6 months, you can request the unlock code from Cingular. Tell them you are going overseas and they will provide for free.

Liked
    If one bought this same phone in N. America without a "plan" . . . i.e. a pay-as-you-go-phone, wouldn't it already be unlocked?

Here (Canada) you can get a phone for a very nominal cost (sometimes free) as long as you get a locked-in plan for so and so many months or years.

But you can also buy it outright, no plan ... though the phone cost is quite a bit higher. But wouldn't this latter type of cell phone purchase give you an "unlocked" phone, as the vendor has no clue as to which pay-as-you-go card you are going to choose?

I remain ... a 'Cell Phone Idiot'. And hope to stay that way for the rest of my life.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

If one bought this same phone in N. America without a "plan" . . . i.e. a pay-as-you-go-phone, wouldn't it already be unlocked?
    Typically NAR plan phones are discounted but locked to the carrier. Careful on pay-as-you-go phone, they also are usually locked to the carrier.

Buying an unlocked phone gives you carrier options, however, you pay more for these phones (ie, not carrier discount). If it is a GSM phone (T-mobile or Cingular) one can trade out the SIM card for a local SIM card.

One can often find unlocked phones via the net for reasonable prices. Just make sure it is a GSM or 3G phone with tri or quad band if you plan to use overseas.

One final option for LOS, you can get second hand GSM phones at places like Tucom for a pittance. Just purchase a local SIM and some minutes and your good to go.
    [/quote]

T-mobile unlocked my Motorola Tri-Band phone when I told them I wanted to use local SIM cards overseas. They simply emailed me a CODE that I punched in. That easy. Make sure you have Cingular or T-mobile "Activate" overseas service if you want to use your US Sim card overseas. It will cost you about $1.50 a minute to recieve/make calls on your US sim card while in Thailand. I have my BF buy me a thai SIM card before I leave.. so I can give the number to friends and relatives. I take my US Sim card along and occasionally swap it out and check my messages on my US number. T-mobile has no charges to activate overseas use but I think Cingular has a monthly charge for overseas activation of your Cingular sim card.

Liked: 1
    I used a locked T-Mobile w800i phone and called only for about 4 minutes, the cost is over 30 Euro ale: , well next trip this phone is unlocked for sure haha
    I send a lot of sms too , and the price of them was the same as local here.
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)