Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP John Booth LMTU

Liked

Re: RIP John Booth LMTU

LMTU was one of only two posters on any of these boards that I ever actually met, as far as I know. I had occasion to describe the meeting in August 2006, in a thread about hydras and multiple identities (some things never change). I'm taking the liberty of pasting below my post from seven years ago. I only met the man that one time--I always expected to run into him again but never did. I liked him and I think many of his critics would have liked him too if they met him in person. I'm sorry he's gone, but apparently he was suffering a great deal so at least that's ended. I'm glad he had some good friends to care for him at the end. R.I.P. indeed.

From August 2006:
    Last month I visited Monty's Pool for the first time and after a few drinks fell into conversation witth several pleasant farang gentlemen. I asked them if they were regular visitors to this board. Both knew what I was talking about but denied any familiarity with it. One man pointed to another fellow who was, shall we say, dominating the conversation at a nearby table and said "He's the head of it; that's Pearl." Needless to say, I was shocked to find myself in the presence of such a luminary, but somewhat confused, since Pearl, for all her celebrity, is not exactly the head of this board, And it was impossible to reconcile the gentleman in question with the image of Pearl I've formed from reading her posts.

A few days later, my last day in Pattaya, I got up the nerve to ask the gentleman in question if he was really the famous Pearl of the Orient. He was as shocked and amused by the question as I was by his answer. He said he was, in fact, Let Me Tell U !! I thought he was pulling my leg, but as the conversation went on I realized he was telling the truth. He said he was acquainted with the real Pearl and joshingly chastised my informant for spreading false rumors. He also proved to be friendly, witty, good natured, and good-hearted, not entirely as i might have expected from his posts. Part of the fun of this board is trying to figure out who's who and, if you have the opportunity, pinning board names on real individuals. Beware: you never know who may be lurking at the next table.

Liked

I can't remember meeting the man in person, and now when I think of him, as I knew him online and the living legend that he was, I can't help but think of these words from the song Candle In The Wind by Sir Elton John.

Goodbye John Tooth (LMTU)
    Though I never knew you at all
    You had the grace to hold yourself
    While those around you crawled
    They crawled out of the woodwork
    And they whispered into your brain
    They set you on the treadmill
    And they made you change your name
    chorus
    And it seems to me you lived your life
    Like a candle in the wind
    Never knowing who to cling to
    When the rain set in
    And I would have liked to have known you
    But I was just a kid
    Your candle burned out long before
    Your legend ever did

Loneliness was tough
    The toughest role you ever played
    Hollywood created a superstar
    And pain was the price you paid
    Even when you died
    Oh the press still hounded you

Goodbye John Tooth (LMTU)

http://youtu.be/mIOuMRwGv9Q
    These are the good'ol days

Liked

JON BOOTH, not John Tooth.

Liked

R.I.P John,
    Some one once said the customer is always right, Correct if you only ever want one customer.

Liked

Sawatdee Friends,

It is now Monday in Thailand and my friend is awaiting the OK from the British Embassy ...
    for their completion of the necessary paperwork...and release of John Booth's body for a funeral.

The date for the funeral has not been set yet, however,
    my friend did say it would be in the Minburi area.

More info as I learn of the funeral details.

tj
    Tj

Liked

Dear Sawatdee Friends,

Here is my Expat friends message about the funeral and cremation arrangements for John Booth:

Hi Jim,

After spending all day at the British Embassy and the Thai forensic hospital,
    I managed to get John's body released at 4pm today.

I am now at the temple where John will be cremated tomorrow at 4pm....WEDNESDAY MAY 1st.

The temple is called Watsutthisaad. it's on Nimitmai road, Klong Samwan near Minburi.

Sorry for the short notice but the Thai's are doing things their way.

I have advised friends, but could you please put this info on the boards.

Thanks Jim.

tj
    Tj

Liked

My Expat friend has posted this message on his Facebook page...
    following the Funeral and Cremation of John Booth, LMTU Tuesday afternoon in Minburi:

"Parting is such sweet sorrow'тАж just said goodbye to a Mate, Adversary, Friend, someone IтАЩve been close to for 18 years.
    RIP John. you were mad, drove me crazy, but we had a blast at timesтАж
    God Bless mate. IтАЩll miss youтАжRIP xx"

May I add ...

God Bless You my friend....for the incredible caring you provided John in his final months battle against Cancer. Both you and your brother are indeed compassionate and caring souls...having taken John into your home in his greatest hours of need. As you have said: RIP John...he will be missed by many who really knew him.... and those who knew of him in the "virtual" world.

tj
    Tj

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Swing
    LMTU was one of only two posters on any of these boards that I ever actually met, as far as I know. I had occasion to describe the meeting in August 2006, in a thread about hydras and multiple identities (some things never change). I'm taking the liberty of pasting below my post from seven years ago. I only met the man that one time--I always expected to run into him again but never did. I liked him and I think many of his critics would have liked him too if they met him in person. I'm sorry he's gone, but apparently he was suffering a great deal so at least that's ended. I'm glad he had some good friends to care for him at the end. R.I.P. indeed.

From August 2006:
    Last month I visited Monty's Pool for the first time and after a few drinks fell into conversation witth several pleasant farang gentlemen. I asked them if they were regular visitors to this board. Both knew what I was talking about but denied any familiarity with it. One man pointed to another fellow who was, shall we say, dominating the conversation at a nearby table and said "He's the head of it; that's Pearl." Needless to say, I was shocked to find myself in the presence of such a luminary, but somewhat confused, since Pearl, for all her celebrity, is not exactly the head of this board, And it was impossible to reconcile the gentleman in question with the image of Pearl I've formed from reading her posts.

A few days later, my last day in Pattaya, I got up the nerve to ask the gentleman in question if he was really the famous Pearl of the Orient. He was as shocked and amused by the question as I was by his answer. He said he was, in fact, Let Me Tell U !! I thought he was pulling my leg, but as the conversation went on I realized he was telling the truth. He said he was acquainted with the real Pearl and joshingly chastised my informant for spreading false rumors. He also proved to be friendly, witty, good natured, and good-hearted, not entirely as i might have expected from his posts. Part of the fun of this board is trying to figure out who's who and, if you have the opportunity, pinning board names on real individuals. Beware: you never know who may be lurking at the next table.
    what a hoot. Pearl of The Orient hung up her stiletoes and transmogrified into the gentleman now known as Lunchtime O'Booze, such is the wont of those who inhabit the streets of Pattaya who leave the past behind....

I can imagine John being both mortified and flattered at the same time...as indeed I would have been had I been mistaken for him !

Farewell my dear friend John. It was a privilege knowing you. I have never forgotten our fateful meeting on a London street 22 years ago.

Your weekly emails exhorting me to visit you in Bangkok and Pattaya over the last 2 years while I haven't been able to make it, constantly reminding me that fun was in order as life could be extinguished in a flash, or reminding me of that saying you pickled up from a queen in a pub on a visit to Australia :"your'e a long time in Rookwood ! !" (it's a cemetery) now seems most apt.

You were one in a million. Irreplaceable. A joy to be around, a treasure. The most generous of souls. Infuriating at times but any spat was forgotten within hours.
    And never ever boring.

Au revoir dear friend. For now. :salute:
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Liked

The above was a very nice tribute !!
    I never knew the person LMTU only from the boards but he seemed to be the type of person for whom life was meant to be lived and his many stories were entertaining to read , brought many a smile to my face at least , (tks for that )
    May He Rest In Peace
    ( or not as maybe that is not what he liked too much of ?? )

Liked

If this doesn't warrant a quick comeback I don't know what does.

I'd like to pay my respect to a man that I didn't know IRL but who could always get a smile on my face with his entertaining posts. Famous to some and infamous to others. Someone used the word legend and for me he was. Just the simple fact that I had no idea why people where always talking about LMTU, what it meant and eventually who he was.

By this definition: a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits.

RIP to a true legend