List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Valuation Websites Useless?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Website Valuation Websites Useless?

Since the discussion of how much websites are worth and using as a basis Googling website values, late last night I decided to check it out. The first said SGT was worth $0. The second was $700+. Then I started getting upwards of $2,500, $5,000, $9000, 600,000 (!) 1 million and something dollars and even 2 1/2 million dollars for a url. While I certainly would like to buy my board for even 25% of the valuation, well aslas I doubt it. I also checke out thier estimate of what the site brought in in ad revenue, another laugh! $5. to $100 a day. A couple of sites still had that the current owner accoriding to the data on Whois was Elephant spike with his address. Seems these sites are much more interested in the ads that they have flashing on all thier websites than to have software that would actually work.

Before the nay sayers talk about making an error in spelling on some, the url was copied and pasted each and every time. So next time someone wants to buy a domain name, well .... these statiscs and such are so whacked out I think they are doing Yabba!

Re: Website Valuation Websites Useless?

Well I wouldnt buy a business and that includes a Web sight that wasnt paying me at least the cost of my labour. What's the labour costs of moderating SGT must be more than a couple hours a day but lets say two hours at $25 which frankly is hardly worth getting out of bed for so $50 a day or $350 a week or $18,200 a year round about. You say the annual gross income is under $3,000????? Thats not a business thats a hobby or possibly a "vanity project". $3,000 a year at 2 hours a day is about $4 an hour not even the basic wage :sign5:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Who said $3,000 a year. This business takes in slightly over 144,000 baht a year and i don't even go out selling advertising. LOL! Keep up all these predictions because that's all you have are your estimates.

Wow be still my beating heart a whole $5,000 still not worth getting out of bed for a mere $5 or $6 an hour and thats before any other costs such as registration hosting maintenance etc.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

How about the fun for someone who is retiring or retired and to give them some work and pleasure?

Thats exactly what I said first its not a business its a hobby.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

BG it is a business if the person decides to go out and sell ads or give people a percentage. I sit here and not try and I get 144,000 up a year. I am certain that if someone put effort into that they could easily double if not triple and that would mean 49.2 an hour and as a person dhould/could work 3 hours a day, that would mean 394.52 an hour or $13.60 an hour and some fun. Good for someone liing here full time or part time and retired or just some extra money while here on holiday. I don't know. $13.60 an hour is $1224.00 a month nothing to sneeze at.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yep... Anyone with half a brain can work out all these sites do is take publicly available info, feed it into some formula and spit out a calculation. There is NO non-public info factored in. Neither is there ANY qualitative analysis.

Also, you don't just value a website based on the number of sponsors it CURRENTLY has... Better to look at how many sponsors you COULD have, based on traffic volumes, audience value, market for advertisers and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    What's the labour costs of moderating SGT must be more than a couple hours a day but lets say two hours at $25...
    You never pay moderators if you're operating a community forum commercially... There are always people with enough interest in the topic and the community to volunteer their time.

You have a head mod and then a team of volunteer mods. The head mod does your recruiting and induction of the other mods. Any issues with content or moderation, you or your site manager go to the head mod. They don't touch the content themselves (to be honest, you don't read 99% of the content, unless you're revamping the site and trying to get a feel for the audience). You do occasionally pay your head mod if it is a very large board and quite an involved position, but even that is only ever a token amount.

I know there were times in the past when no one was lining up to volunteer as moderator as it was quite a controversial board... to me, no mod or few potential mods is a significant risk as it means you or your site manager has to moderate it and that is an non-viable situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    BG it is a business if the person decides to go out and sell ads or give people a percentage. I sit here and not try and I get 144,000 up a year. I am certain that if someone put effort into that they could easily double if not triple and that would mean 49.2 an hour and as a person dhould/could work 3 hours a day, that would mean 394.52 an hour or $13.60 an hour and some fun. Good for someone liing here full time or part time and retired or just some extra money while here on holiday. I don't know. $13.60 an hour is $1224.00 a month nothing to sneeze at.
    Excellent, we can look forward to three times the number of advertisements on SGT.

Liked

Value is what the next idiot sees in it.
    That is why bars close and open, close and open :glasses7: