Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foreign & Thai Patrons checked during raid of South Pattaya

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Foreign & Thai Patrons checked during raid of South Pattaya

Mkae sure you are carrying around a copy of your passport!

Just before 1.30am on Thursday, District Officials and civil defence volunteers led by the Chief of Banglamung District, Khun Sapchai, conducted a raid of the Mixx Discotheque at the Bali Hai Plaza in South Pattaya.

On this occasion both Thai and Foreign Patrons were targeted. Passports and Visa checks were made on the foreign patrons and urine tests were conducted on the Thai Patrons, of which 8 failed the test and were arrested by Pattaya Police who were also in attendance.

At the time over 300 patrons were inside the disco. The District Officials also checked licenses and the age of patrons to ensure they were over 20. No irregularities were found.

The 8 arrestees were later sent to Hospital to undertake an evidential drugs test and we understand this raid is expected to be the first of many which will take place over the coming days and weeks as ordered by the Ministry of the Interior.

Liked

Re: Foreign & Thai Patrons checked during raid of South Patt

this raid is expected to be the first of many which will take place over the coming days and weeks as ordered by the Ministry of the Interior.
    Yep, its low season again...never let anything interefere with money making in high season! TiT.

Liked

Been reading this story on PattayaOne appears the Ministry of the Interior has ordered the police to come down hard on the bars, especially underage staff and patrons, drugs and closing times. Seems the orders are from Bangkok rather than local police.

Liked

Being carted off to immigration for a couple of hours is alwys top of my "must do" list when I go on holiday. However it is nothing compared to the inconvenience (and cost) suffered if you actually lose your passport because you"re carrying it around when it would be better left in the hotel

Liked

I have always understood that a photocopy - as the OP specified - is acceptable in such circumstances.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

why is it not possible for ex-pats mainly, and hoilday makers to carry an i.d. card same as the thai's do ?
    here in england we have hundreds of thousands of polish workers, their i.d. card is all they need to travel within europe, tho i dont know if this is also good for them for worldwide travel. i's suspect they would need a passport for that.
    but a small credit sized card would be some much easier to carry, and a good money maker for the thai government..
    its not like them to pass up the chance to make a buck or two.

Liked

I used to carry my passport all the time when in Thailand, for the first 4 or 5 visits anyway. Being in the pant pocket while in the bars and discos all night is not good.
    It now looks like hell and the immigration folks have trouble trying to scan it on occasion.

I will be back in Thailand in a couple weeks and I am not really sure which way I will go. If more of the same is reported, I guess I will carry it with me. If nothing else comes out shortly, I will assume it is a "short-time" (LOL) thing and just leave it in the hotel room.

On a different note, BF and I have been to MIXX disco on several occasions, and took note of nothing obvious that would indicate a raid was needed. Seemed to be well run, tight security, no "shows/gogo dancers"....actually pretty lame. Many free-lance Thai girls in attendance, but nothing major.

BF liked to people watch the straights there and we would dance a bit...(and we got a couple of "looks and smiles", though nothing we followed up on). I would almost think a tea money or warning visit. No passport/visa issues for all the falangs reported, no underage in attendance (no one under 20 in the place !) and only 8 Thai that did not pass the initial pee pee test. Not exactly a den of sin there....and it must have been a slow night. The times we were went, there were more like 3000 than 300 customers.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    Being carted off to immigration for a couple of hours is alwys top of my "must do" list when I go on holiday. However it is nothing compared to the inconvenience (and cost) suffered if you actually lose your passport because you"re carrying it around when it would be better left in the hotel
    Yep, its definitely the choice between the worse of two evils given the minute million-to-one chance of being asked to produce a passort or losing your passpost. I think i'll still take my chances like Arsenal and leave the passport in the room safe. I carry a copy of my UK passport page with photo and details, I also have contact numbers for my bf in Thailand, a relative in UK and my medical insurance provider, policy number and tel number at the bottom. There is plenty of room to put this extra info at the foot of the copied passport page, I laminate it it and fold it in two to credit card size and it's easy to carry around. When I get to Thailand I just get a photocopy of the Thai Immigration slip at the hotel i'm staying or internet cafe and have it in the folded passport copy.....Relevance of this ID information has yet to be tested as I've never had an accident where medical assistance was required or caught in a raid.

I have minimal stuff with me when I go out at night, big money denominations Bt1000's/Bt500's in one pocket, small money Bt100's/ 50/ 20 in the other and a very compact mobile phone. When you take into consideration the thousands of bars, pubs, discos ,clubs etc... the chances of a raid on the venue at the exact moment you are there is millions-to-one. In more than a dozen years/40+ trips I have never been asked to produce my passport other than when driving once.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    I have always understood that a photocopy - as the OP specified - is acceptable in such circumstances.
    I have heard this countless times over the years too, but never once has anyone stated that their copy HAS been accepted, never. 'Understood' does not count for very much if a photocopy in reality is not acceptable. So has anyone ever produced a copy which has been accepted in place of an original passport?

These raids are a gross waste of time and money, what is the point of searching 300 people out of half a million or so people in and around Pattaya? They are not tea money raids..they are official campaigns. They dont even serve as a warning/deterent....a day after the raid they are forgotton. Anyway how many foreign holiday makers bother to read loacal press or tune into local TV to find out about them?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have been here since 2001 and I have never been asked to produce my passport. The only time as with Newallan above was when I was driving and someone hit my car. My Internation license was at the house as I had taken it out of the car for some reason and had not put it back. While that looked a bit iffy for me the car papers were also not in the car. The policeman near the Watchai was himming and hawing and shaking his head but he did allow me the time to call my b/f who was in the house to rush the International License to me and I called the car rental agency to run down with the papers and insurance details. The other driver was cited and off I went no problems. I have heard and seen when police kinda shake their head and laugh cause it is a stupid falang and give it a few minutes to sort it out rather than ccarting someone off. Now I am definitely not saying it should never be aa concern but most situations are workable for a few minutes til you can get a b/f or roomate to assist and get your stuff. I don't think there ever woud be a probem with photocopy of your passport and your arrival card.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I don't think there ever woud be a probem with photocopy of your passport and your arrival card.
    I've been coming to Thailand since 2002 and living here permanently for nearly 4 years and a copy of these two items plus, since I am on a retirement visa, I also carry a ciopy of my "Receipt of Notification" which also has my 90 day report date on it. One piece of paper two sided. If I am flying domestically I just show my Thai drivers License. Only if I am leaving country do I carry my passport.