Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General Tipping... At bars, Hotel staff and eateries

Re: Please ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman41
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiquila
    Of course, the exception would be at Niddy's Nook .... Niddy's Cheeseburgers in Paradise dreams. - Meet me at the Nook
    Let me know when you are next at the Nook and i'll pop along for one of those cheeseburgers. I am sure Chris would love to prepare a 'special' cheeseburger just for you Thaiquila
    Well said, but, really ALL of Niddy's cheesy burgers are special!
    I can't get enough of them, and I am still here to tell the tale, so I really don't think there is poison in them.
    I would be glad to make a special appearance for the launching of the Thaiquila cocktail!

Re: Please ...

Well said, but, really ALL of Niddy's cheesy burgers are special!
    I can't get enough of them, and I am still here to tell the tale, so I really don't think there is poison in them.
    I would be glad to make a special appearance for the launching of the Thaiquila cocktail!
    A great idea Thaiquila, but could you cope if it ended up that the drinks were, quite literally, on you? As for a 'special appearance' by you, would that be like the 'special' shows which can be seen in Bangkok? I am not sure that would boost the turnout! :cheers:

In the matter of tipping, I tend to:

round up for taxi drivers

leave 20 bt for most meals (I've seen my Thai friends do the same) under 300 bt and then 20 bt for each additional 300 bt

leave 20bt to 100bt for drinks from a waiter at a bar (unless I've been there for a long time and then I adjust up--sometimes to 400 bt if I have been there all night, and I've been occupying a seat in their section)

20bt per round for a bartender

100 bt per maid per week for room cleaning (there are two maids at my hotel now)

20 bt per bag for bellman who carries bags

drinks and 100 bt per drink for go-go boy who sits with me in a bar (that I don't take off)

nothing for laundry (although the lady who does my laundry works for my friend and is very nice, so I usually buy her a nice bag of fruit or dinner once per week)

100 bt for a cabaret performer (this is a minumum tip by the way)

I will treat the entire staff of 10-12 at my friend's bar (where I spend at least half my time) to a night at the disco about three times per month. From about 230am to 6am, I end up opening 2-3 bottles of 100 pipers, and we all have a great time (this is probably my favorite way to spend a late night in Thailand and a bargain IMO at about 3,000 bt for everything)

100 bt per month/per stay for beach chair (I only go a couple of times per week)

500 bt for anyone I off that I'm not having sex with. 1000bt to 1300bt for short time and 1500bt to 2000bt for long time (both low and high season)

A couple of bar managers and a couple of other friends, I will off a boy for them on a regular occassion.

Most of us im sure tipped way too much on first few visits.......its something that comes the more you go there.....when you stay in small Thai villages and see how much they can buy with 100 baht etc you gradually adjust downwards. This is probably why a lot of thais ask have you been before?

Liked
    Some of you guys need a Thai boyfriend.
    When you're sternly bollocked so many times with 'How much you give (meaning gave)', you learn to be a little more cautious.
    So many times I've heard the words "20 Baht enough"!
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick
    When you're sternly bollocked so many times with 'How much you give (meaning gave)', you learn to be a little more cautious.
    So many times I've heard the words "20 Baht enough"!
    Absolutely! Spot on.

Liked
    Hey Buck--

Don't worry...those 100 baht tips at DJ Station are well appreciated.

I have seen several Thai guys tipping 100 baht too. Frankly, I was a little amazed but it's true.

Personally, I tip 20 baht each drink that the boy goes and gets for me from the bar.

As I am a frequent customer at DJ and know many of the bar and wait staff, I will give a single tip of 100 baht on the big holidays to each of the guys that regularly take care of me....but only on special occasions.

As an aside, depending on how much you drink, you might want to consider purchasing a bottle at DJ Station. You buy the bottle, they mix your drinks at the bar and you pay 50 baht per bottle of mixer. It comes out to about the same price as ordering the drinks individually at 100 baht, but you can drink the top shelf liquor compared to the rot gut they serve regularly.

Of course, if you are on a short holiday, it might not work for you. But for a weeks stay, I usually have no problem going through one bottle of vodka. If it isn't gone by the end, I just give away a few drinks to some friends.

:bounce: DJB

Dick wrote :

I wonder if some off the Thai boy's need us ? My last Thai friend stay 3 month in Belgium, asking me to make he has a future ! I can, and i did promise him a future. He was a real friend when he was in Belgium he was not working or acting. I met him back 6 month later in Thailand, he was not that friend anymore but a liar and try to use me, telling his friends i am a good hart farang white a lot off money.

In my opinion if they back in there wold they follow the stream most Thia's do, using farang. He lost his future ( i think ),
    but he don't care, his Thai life go's one as it always was day by day .

Mai bpen rai, everything is an illusion.

Meet me at the Nook!

Mai bpen rai, everything is an illusion.