Quote Originally Posted by a447
In my many visits to Sunee over the years I can not recall ever seeing "urchins" - except in some of the bars. I have not seen any young guys hanging around but that may be because I didn't go down any back streets - I was always walking down the streets with all the bars and I don't think "urchins" would have been tolerated there. They'd be bad for business.Also, even if they were there, they could not have gotten up to much mischief with so many people all around them. During the day I found the place totally deserted.Newalaan2 wrote:It's a pity these Thai-owned bars continue to employ dodgy-aged guysYes, I agree. But on a recent (last October, I think) foray into Niceboys, it was obvious that there is definitely a market for these type of boys - a HUGE market judging from the number of customers.Very sad.
Well there you go a447, it just shows how everybody notices different things and how things can change quickly. My last visit was recent, over the last month, and the soi I stroll along the nights I ventured to Sunee is certainly not a 'back street' it is the main drag from day/night to sunee running parellel with soi hollywood....soi VC? which has the middle-eastern establishments and Colonial and Samorn? and a newish karaoke, and there was definitely an assortment of 'urchins' in 2's, 3's, 4's hanging around, smoking, larking around, some just 'normal' looking teens with pals, but also some more 'unkept' types. They were there every night I passed. But I certainly did not see any near the main sunee bar area, as you are correct they wont be tolerated around the bars.

Also in regard to Nice Boys, I found virtually the opposite of what you saw, I did visit once and although I agree the bar was very busy I thought all the boys to be more of the older variety certainly compared to Mymic next door, and so many man-boys in Nice Boys about 75% to 25% femme/gay types. But every visit is going to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyboy
Just to clarify. Tom Yum has not re-opened. A new bar Cocktail Boys has opened where Tom Yum was located.On my visit every boy appeared to me to be well over the legal age and all of the more manly type.
Thanks for the clarification "pennyboy" because of it's previous long held 'tradition' of empolying borderline legal aged boys I never visited the place for years, but sitting for coffee, beer and a laugh at Ouds Place next door a waiter/doorman working at TumYum I have known for many years told me it had re-opened but gave no idication of any changes...so of course I assumed it was same, same.

But if the underage element had been eradicated from this bar all the better for sunee....I just wish more of the Thai-owned bars would follow.