List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Boy Didn't Even Say Thank You!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The Boy Didn't Even Say Thank You!

Have you ever found yourself disappointed or angry because тАЬheтАЭ didnтАЩt say Thank You?

It wasnтАЩt until I read a book about Buddhism by Lawrence Khantipalo Mills that I understood the full meaning of тАЬGivingтАЭ in a Buddhist culture such as Thailand. I read this book back around 2000 when I first came to Thailand and the things I learned not only gave me insight into Thai Buddhist culture but also kept my western feelings in tack when not being thanked for something I had given him.

In Buddhism it is taught that giving something to someone else, i.e., birthday gift, unexpected gift, something you just felt he wanted or needed, or as the result of him asking for something he wanted or needed тАУ is something that must come from the heart with no expectations for receiving anything in return except for good merit. That good merit translates to тАЬgood karmaтАЭ which Buddhists believe is the element that determines a personтАЩs fate in their next life (or lives). Regardless if anyone subscribes to this notion of good merit = good karma = good outcome in next life or not, the fact remains that many if not most Thais are taught this from birth and itтАЩs fully engrained in their culture at levels of society.

I remember sitting around the Christmas tree when I was young watching the family members opening their gifts just waiting for one of them to open the one with my name on it. The smiles and joyous acknowledgements that were exchanged among us was pure delight. And of course the warm тАЬthank yousтАЭ filled the room. ItтАЩs just engrained in our culture to say thank you. Even if we donтАЩt really mean it we say it. The term тАЬthank you тАЭ is probably the most commonly used term in all western culture. It makes us feel polite and well reared. It seems natural because when someone gives you something itтАЩs because he or she wants (and fully expects) an acknowledgement from you. ItтАЩs that acknowledgement that we feed off. In the absence of this we feel insulted, humiliated, embarrassed, hurt, angry, sad, and all the rest of those self-centered little emotions which have such a major impact on our levels of happiness.

When you give a Thai a gift he believes (as taught from birth) that you are doing this for one reason and one reason only тАУ and thatтАЩs to bring him good feelings. For him to thank you for what youтАЩve given him detracts from that purpose. ItтАЩs almost like sayingтАжтАЭIтАЩm disappointed because you didnтАЩt acknowledge the fact that I gave you something and now IтАЩm standing here waiting for something in return, and that тАЬsomethingтАЭ is a тАЬthank youтАЭ.

WeтАЩve all witnessed Thai boys celebrating one of their friends birthdaysтАжbut have you ever just sat there and observed the way the person opening up the gifts reacts to the тАЬgiversтАЭ around him? Most likely you will see the birthday boy with a huge smile on his face beaming with happiness, although you will rarely (if ever) see him look up at one of his friends and say тАЬthank youтАЭ. ItтАЩs for this reason that Thais donтАЩt ever put their names on gifts like we frequently do in the West. The person receiving the gift doesnтАЩt really have to know which person in the crowd gave that particular gift тАУ as this has absolutely nothing to do with the purpose or outcome of the giving process. Giving is simply focused on bringing happiness to the receiver.

There is a very subtle difference between how thisтАЭ thank youтАЭ stuff is interpreted between western and Thai cultures, but itтАЩs that subtle difference that seems to upset so many farang - when they feel cheated or insulted and sometimes flat-out angry when they donтАЩt receive anything in return. I mean all a farang really wants is a simple тАЬthank youтАЭтАжwhatтАЩs so dam hard about that, when in reality (the Thais reality anyway), a тАЬthank youтАЭ could actually detract from the value of the тАЬgiving processтАЭ because his тАЬthank youтАЭ to you could insinuate that you gave him a gift only for the self-pleasure of receiving something back in returnтАжpotentially offending you.

Please donтАЩt thank me for writing this.

Banned
    Liked

Re: The Boy Didn't Even Say Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Please donтАЩt thank me for writing this.
    No worries.

Another piece-de-camera designed to elicit a little gentle ego massage.

Cue the feeble-minded sycophants:

I'm allways looking to learn more about thai way of thinking......and that was good to read

Liked

Just wanted to stand up and say that I am one of those farang that used to get upset
    at NOT getting a simple Thank You. I used to really get pissed, until I learned what Dodger
    explained so eloquently.

Just want to point out that it is a Buddhist thing and not a Thai thing. I encountered it
    living with with my Taiwanese ex bf 13 years and traveling through China.

Even after knowing why, it is still nice to go back to the States and get Thanked profusely for
    the smallest of things.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by donald1
    it is still nice to go back to the States and get Thanked profusely for
    the smallest of things.
    Talking cock size again, donald? :occasion9:

sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get my coat
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Years ago, I made it clear to my guy that , though I respect every aspect of his Buddhism, one aspect of my upbringing he must accept ( and must pass on to his friends when I take them out) is the polite formality of a "thank you."

This resulted in a scene outside the cinema complex at Big C when four of them stood in a line (at my boyfriend's insistence) and each waied and said thank you.... with military precision.

Liked

Well that certainly explains a lot Dodger! Now everything falls into place.

I never ever said to any Thai boy, тАЬDonтАЩt you ever say тАШthank youтАЩ?тАЭ but I certainly thought it quite a few times!

Even when I was spending a considerable amount of money improving the working and living conditions of my then boyfriend, up in his village in i-saan, I donтАЩt ever recall hearing a simple тАШthank youтАЩ.

But I think I received something infinitely better . . .

The first time I stayed with my boyfriendтАЩs family, on our departure he wai'd them goodbye and they returned his wai and we drove off. This struck me, as a fa-rang, as quite odd and a little bit cold hearted, especially when it would be several months before we would see his family again. So at some point I asked my boyfriend if he ever hugged his parents when he said goodbye. I canтАЩt remember his answer, he probably looked at me rather oddly and thought, although never said . . . ting-tong fa-rang. (crazy foreigner)!

But on our next and subsequent visits, on our arrival and departure, the both of us always received hugs and a very warm display of affection from ma-ma, pa-pa, aunts and sisters. And on our departure, as well as receiving hugs from pa-pa, there were always tears. Clearly then my comments did not fall on deaf ears and must have been discussed with the family.

So although I never received a simple тАШthank youтАЩ I was more than happy with the hugs and tears which, at the time, were well and truly reciprocated by me.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

I don't know, and maybe I just have more to learn. However, I have noticed there is absolutely no shortage of thank you's in given circumstances. For example, if the vet comes by to help my neighbor's dogs, there'll be a "kawp kun mak ka" flying out of my neighbor's mouth every 10 seconds. Same goes for pretty much any time I've seen someone of higher status help someone of lower status.

I'll bite my tongue for the rest. :-)

Liked

Which is one of the reasons that I can never understand why farangs making a gift of a phone, a piece of jewelry or whatever get upset if the boy / girl sells it. The farang seems to think he retains some sort of ownership in the item. In Thai cullture a gift is a gift and whatever the recipient decides to do with it is his / her choice.

You will also find that when giving gifts to children they will often not open it until the giver is out of sight. Not so much with adult Thais these day but when I first started working in Thailand 21 years ago a gift to a Thai would never be opened in the presence of the giver.

Liked: 1

I noticed that they indeed do not thank you when you give them gifts, but they do when you give them money :dontknow:
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)