I've been regularly offing a Go Go Boy over the last three years. He's never any trouble and never asked for money despite being in regular email contact when I'm not in Pattaya.

Then a weeks ago I got an email asking for 5,000 Bhat because his mother was ill. I called him and he said he didn't need the money for the treatment but to help with journeys to and from his home near Chaiyaphum.

He's always been honest with me and I felt guilty doubting him but I know all about Go Go Boys and their sick mothers, dead buffallo and other such disasters.

But then I realised I was in the position to check as I have a local contact and it didn't take long to discover that he really was travelling regularly to Chaiyaphum and I even got more information about his mother's condition than I wanted to know or felt I out to have.

It's a shame that my first reaction should have been to doubt him but I suppose it's all part of the Go Go Boy scene and fending off unlikely requests can be part of the fun as well.

5,000 Bhat isn't a lot anyway.