Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a scam?

Liked

Is this a scam?

My boyfriend has just phoned me to tell me that he was won a car - a Nissan Note- after participating in a competition on LINE.
    He is required to go to Bangkok, pay 200,000 bht ("for tax") and then he will be given the car.
    This sounds like a scam to me. Why is "tax" so expensive? why doesn't he pay it to the authorities?
    I feel uneasy.... I'm the one expected to pay the 200,000, but more seriously, is this involving him in something illegal or even dangerous?

I'd appreciate advice.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Is this a scam?

Oliver, believe your bf. Thai boys never lie.
    Don't ask for proof or documentation, the bf might lose face.
    Some fellow posters might not think your query serious or that anyone would
    ever doubt their bf.
    A suggestion that he sell the car or get the money from a bank in Thailand using
    the new Nissan as collateral seems too logical a solution.

Liked

Go with him. If you are 'expected' to pay such an amount of money ... go with him and participate (completely) in the process.
    If it's legit he'll be glad you are there. If it's a scam (that he knows about, or is a participant to) he will not want you there. If he is being taken in (as Gaybutton says below) then it's a Sentimental Education. Buy him the book by Flaubert.

(edited ... for more thoughts)
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Can't find the price of the Nissan Note online, but 200,000 Baht tax sounds like at least a third of the sales price of the car. I agree with Smiles. Be there, be present if BF is handing over 200K, and make sure he gets clear title to the car. To me it sounds like a complete scam.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I'd appreciate advice.
    My advice is quite simple. Find another boyfriend - fast.

First, I am unaware that Line ever ran such a contest. Second, does it really make sense to you that Line would run a contest, knowing damned well that the winner would be unlikely to be able to afford to collect the prize? Even if his story turns out to be true, after you part with your 200,000 baht, who pays for the fuel, insurance, licensing, and maintenance? Does your boyfriend even have a driving license?

I wouldn't worry about whether he's stepping into something illegal, but whether you are. I would demand to see the paperwork and I would also contact Line to see if they really did run such a contest and, if they did, the name of the winner.

How was he notified that he is the winner? I don't know about others, but I still get Emails regularly from Dr. Mweleke Mweneke from Nigeria, wanting to put ten-billion dollars into my bank account so he can get the money out of Nigeria. Maybe your boyfriend is actually the one falling for a scam.

If you think his story even has a prayer of being true, I'd do what Smiles says - go with him to pay this tax, and make sure this tax is being paid in a legitimate government office. There is no reason to pay anywhere else. For that much money, I would also hire an attorney to make sure all the paperwork is in order and all the T's are crossed and I's dotted. If he gives you any excuse whatsoever why he can't show you the paperwork, why you can't go with him to pay, or tries to convince you that the money must be paid anywhere other than a legitimate government office, that would be one boy I'd drop quicker than I would drop a hot potato.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Liked

Has anyone seen the movie NEBRASKA? If it's too good to be true, then it is not.

Liked

The tax seems too high.
    Also, to organise a competition with a car as a prize EXCLUDING tax seems like doing half a job.

A scam seems most likely.
    Why not get a copy of the communication stating he has won the prize, then if it's in Thai ask someone sensible to read it and see what he thinks.
    Then if you are paying, got to Bangkok & get the car, the keys and the documents before paying the tax. If that's a new car (make sure it is !), I presume the transaction would take place at a Nissan dealer or some other reputable looking premises.

Your boy should be quite happy with that arrangement. If he's not, alarm bells should be ringing.

Liked

Of course its a scam!
    As GB points out above - its a 2015 variation of the Nigerian 419 Scam
    We will give u 1,000,000USD, just need 5000 USD to ensure the bank transfer goes through etc

Unlike other though - i suspect that your BF is innocent in the scam just a naieve pawn
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

The hard part is to convince your bf without him feeling stupid, losing face.But I want to know how Smiles knew what GB would respond , before he did.

Liked

....do you think it could be because (as it clearly says), Smiles edited his post after GB had contributed?

8-}