Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Dengue

Liked

Dengue

What's the latest on Dengue fever risk in both Pats and Siem Reap? Anyone know?

Harry

Liked

Re: Dengue

No idea, but I think I had Dengue two years ago after a Thailand holiday that I spend entirely in Bangkok and Pattaya. (Self diagnosis, I went to the doctor, but that was exactly between two bouts of fever and red spots on my skin, so nothing was found.)

Liked

Try this link to recent Thaivisa posting of article about dengue in Thailand: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...sen-this-year/

Liked

Many thanks for the link. I think it is more of a problem in the rainy season and in rural areas, but it is a concern.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The nurses in the hospital told me that Degue Fever tops in rainy season with 6 or 7 confirmed cases a month. They have a test for it so they can diagnose it when you arrive at the hospital.

Liked

Thanks Neil

Liked

harry2, although written a few years ago, you might find this article abut Dengue fever posted on the Pattaya City Expats Club website of interest: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com...NGUE_FEVER.pdf

The Club Member's first hand account of his experience with Dengue in the article was written by someone I know well - me. I also know another who contracted Dengue fever (confirmed by blood test at hospital), but opted not to stay in the hospital. They said the doctor cautioned them about hemorrhagic symptoms and if they occurred to get to the hospital immediately. They didn't occur and the person recovered fine.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

And while you say both recovered well our friend Rodgers Chase got bit by a mosquito, came down with symptoms and went directly to the hospital. He was admitted and was in CCU and then ICU at Bangkok Pattaya on life support and went into a coma. His misery lasted 2 weeks.You can read about what mosquitos can do and Dengee Fever by looking up that thread on this forum which was titled Funeral Rogers Chase Saturday Jan 19.

Please don't downplay the seriousness of a mosquito bite and Dengee Fever. Get to the hospital.

Liked

Yes, Dengue Fever is potentially deadly. I wasn't trying to downplay Dengue, but to let readers know where they can get information on the symptoms - as mentioned, both myself and the other person both went to the hospital-- in my case I was admitted and my condition continuously monitored for 3 days - the other person I mentioned didn't want to stay in the hospital, but was told to return to the hospital if they developed certain symptoms.

We were both fortunate that our cases were not more severe. Dengue Fever is not to be ignored, it is quite serious, and anyone having the symptoms should seek medical attention as early as possible. As noted in the article, the initial symptoms for both Dengue Fever and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever are the same. One is uncomfortable and painful; whereas the other has the potential to be deadly. The article notes that the risk of death can be substantially reduced if caught early and treated. It takes a blood test (CBC) to confirm Dengue Fever and further lab work to identify the strain (as far as I know, that 2nd test is still done at a lab in Bangkok).

It is because of its potential deadliness, that I prepared the article and gave it to the PCEC to post on their website - at the time it was posted they included a warning in their weekly Newsletter about Dengue Fever and linked it to the article to provide more information.

That was a couple of years ago - as Neal says, it is serious; so perhaps I should suggest they repeat the warning in their weekly newsletter as a reminder.