FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: christmas

Liked

christmas

hi everyone
    this might be a stupid question, i dont know, and i dont know the answer
    so maybe somebody and enlight me.
    I know is most parts of the world people give christmas presents on the 25th december, here in spain we do kings day 6th janurary
    In thialand, is it tradtional to give presents at christmas or do they have another day in the year when they give each other presents????
    ive never been in Thailand at christmas time so i dont know, just being curiuos.
    In spain its only really over the last 20 years that santa clause has arrived, so some people get presents on the 25th december and some 6th January.
    so what about Thaialnd?????

thanks
    paperboy

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: christmas

They appreciate presents anytime and everytime. If they don't get another present on Christmas day they will be disappointed but what they hay. I would give a gift only if it were someone really really special and not bar boy.
    Just remember, you are setting a precedent.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    I would give a gift only if it were someone really really special and not bar boy.
    I'm special :old:

Like Da boss I too would probably restrict any buying of a Christmas present to someone important to you and not just for AN Other bar boy. I made that mistake one year myself when one waking up on Christmas morning with AN other bar boy I realised what day it was and on wishing him happy Christmas and feeling slightly guilty / sorry for him as "he get no presents" etc away we went and I bought him a bottle of whatever expensive aftershave he picked - which to be fair he was over the moon about and I should add I didn't begrudge to Him in any way.

But it was only later when I sat down and thought about it that I realised that my buying him a Christmas present was actually about ME acknowledging Christmas to myself in some deeper way and still trying to hold on to that in some way - which when considering I came to Thailand to get away from all that crap totally defeated the whole purpose and of course to him Christmas Day meant nothing and was just another day, except he and his friends had noticed that their farang customers tended to be more generous on that particular day for some reason they didn't quite understand ( nor care about).

So, I've never made that mistake since and now if I but presents for boys it's because I want to and not because of some commercially induced, long ingrained sense of guilt anymore, so to answer your question no gifts are not required nor expected, but of course no matter what day it is the boys will ALWAYS "appear" grateful for any gift, no matter when received or for what the perceived reason.

Ha I've just realised I must sound like Scrooge himself and I'm really not :-) but just in case - bah humbug !! Lol

Liked

thanks for the replys,
    is there a day in thailand when they give each other presents, like our christamas?????

Liked

A gift on their birthdays is a must if you attend their party.

New Years Day but Thais will happily relieve you of anything you have every day of the year.

Liked

If you can bring a little happiness into someone's life why not?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Recently I went to Cambodia to visit with a boy's mother and family. His mother has about 20 mouths to help feed and assists in cooking for them from her shack nestled in the thick mosquito infested woods with no tap water or electricity. She has water delivered a few times a week, a 5 gallon plastic jug. This while her son plays with a computer, I Phone 4 and many other toys. Sure he sends her 1,000 a week, but maybe I would like to ask which one deserves a little happiness in their lives once in awhile? The boy who sells your phones and gifts or his family that maybe you may want to get to know. Go and get to know the family and if you wish to give a christmas gift, think who needs it more. I for one am trying to get a drilling machine to mama to get a water well dug, a chicken roost and some chickens.

Liked

Good for you DaBoss; Bravo. To answer the question "is there a Santa Claus" the answer is Yes.