Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Travels with my hernia-Part Two

Liked

Travels with my hernia-Part Two

As I wrote in an earlier post, [http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com...hernia#p262099] in October my friend and I visited Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital in Sattahip to arrange surgery to repair my inguinal hernia. While it did have a certain air of typical chaotic-government-hospital about it, everyone was quite nice and the two English speaking surgeons exuded confidence and competence, so I was looking forward to the scheduled laparoscopic surgery on 6th December.

The timing worked well because I wanted to keep a reasonably high bank balance up to my (successful) renewal of the annual extension-of-stay at Chonburi Immigrations on the 3rd and then drew out Baht 150,000 to be sure to cover the Baht 80,000 to Baht 120,000 estimates for the surgery plus a little extra for the unexpected.

My friend called the hospital to confirm the reservation of a тАЬVIP roomтАЭ for me, but we were told to visit the hospital again to do that. Seemed an unnecessary waste of time and gasoline, but we complied.

Then, less than 48 hours before the scheduled surgery, someone from the hospital called. Given his facility with English and mine with Thai, the conversation would have worked well as dialogue in a revival of I Love Lucy, but I definitely determined the surgery had been cancelled. We were both impressed when I managed to say in fathomable Thai that my friend would call him in 5 minutes. He did call. Twice. But not a great deal of clarity was achieved.

IтАЩm fairly certain that when the doctor scheduled me for the 6th he forgot that the 5th was the KingтАЩs birthday and at the last moment he must have decided to make it a long weekend holiday for himself or maybe the hospital geared down for a long weekend. The only certain bit of information gleaned was that I was supposed to go back on the 13th to тАЬcheck with him.тАЭ I assume that meant he would then pick some date a month or two into the New Year to reschedule. He only performs surgery at QS one day a week so I gather surgical appointments can go out quite some time.

Having cancelled my scheduled surgery, the hospital added farce to folly by calling my friend on the 6th demanding to know why I hadnтАЩt shown up for my VIP room. He claims he gave the caller an earful. If he said half of what he claimed, we may not be especially popular in Sattahip right now.

As the saying goes, тАЬwhen the going gets tough, the tough get going.тАЭ I, on the other hand, tend to withdraw into a cocoon of self-pity and resentment when things donтАЩt go as planned. But I eventually emerged from my funk and managed to send off inquiries by email to Samitivej and Phyathai Hospitals in Si Racha and even to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. The first two have still never replied and the last came back with a surprisingly low estimate of Baht 155,000 to Baht 180,000 for unilateral laparoscopic surgery.
    I told my friend to make an appointment for me at Samitivej for the next day. He did and at 7:30 the next morning we set off. I assumed hospitals in Si Racha had to be at least slightly cheaper than BPH.

Although, Tiger Zoo aside, neither of us has spent any time in Si Racha, he unerringly drove straight to the hospital after one consultation with a local. Unfortunately it was the wrong hospital. Some massive government place that made Queen Sirikit Hospital seem an oasis of tranquility by comparison. IтАЩm amazed there are that many people in Si Racha, let alone that many choosing to pitch up at reception at whichever hospital this was. My friend remained unfazed, which is more than can be said of the women at registration, the eldest of whom was tasked (unsuccessfully) with finding a registration form in English. I pointed out to my friend, with increasing force, that this was the wrong bloody hospital. Although we eventually found Samitivej (with me in charge of the map), he clung to the тАЬI may not always be right, but IтАЩm never wrongтАЭ defense with surprising tenacity.

Everyone at Samitivej was quite nice. The doctorтАЩs command of English was a little iffy and his desk was covered with surgical brochures meant to explain what was to come and the options for repairing hernias and such. He also had these same brochures on his laptop. Unfortunately he seemed to have some difficulty coping with the laptop and sorting through the pile of brochures proved a challenge, as he dropped several of the latter, along with a few other things on his desk, and never found the one dealing with hernias.

The prospect of this person coming at me with a scalpel was daunting. As we prepared to part company, unburdened by any useful information, a woman appeared at his side. He introduced her as his interpreter. Her helpful contribution was to ask me to take a seat in the waiting area. This accomplished she was never seen again.

A nurse appeared with an estimate of costs. Baht 180,000 for open surgery and Baht 210,000 for laparoscopic. I told her IтАЩd get back to her and we left. I was not charged for the consultation, such as it was. At least I donтАЩt think I was. I donтАЩt think weтАЩll be rushing back to either Sattahip or Si Racha very soon.

Back to Pattaya and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Saw Dr. Paiboon after a wait of about 5 minutes. Fluent in English, a great sense of humor and an advocate of open surgery. He made a compelling argument for it as opposed to laparoscopic and made assurances of the needful pain management (IтАЩm assuming morphine). I was beyond caring about much other than getting it done somehow, somewhere, soon. The all inclusive estimate with one night stay was Baht 100,000. Baht 18,000 for a probable additional nightтАЩs stay. I gave them a Baht 80,000 deposit and IтАЩm set to go the morning of the 11th.

I was sort of looking forward to the тАЬadventureтАЭ at Queen Sirikit Hospital. IтАЩm still fairly certain it would have been a successful undertaking, but circumstances prevented it from happening. My understanding of why it was cancelled/postponed and what would have happened if I went back on the 13th to reschedule are somewhat speculative because of the poor communications, but I do think being made to wait 6 weeks only to be told to come back and try again is a bit irresponsible. Although the charges would have been comparatively reasonable, it still would have amounted to Baht 100,000 or more, so itтАЩs not as though I was looking for a Baht 10,000 government hospital bargain special.

Hopefully there wonтАЩt be a next time, but if there is I may pick a less circuitous route back to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. I know some people regard it as over-priced, but IтАЩve had successful treatment there for macular degeneration, a number visits for dental issues, regular exams with a cardiologist and treatment for a fracture all of which have gone very well.

Liked

Re: Travels with my hernia-Part Two

So I checked in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital on the 11th. All sorts of tests to see if I would probably survive surgery ... EKG, chest x-ray, blood tests, etc.

Taken into the operating room, given a general anesthetic and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room with a plastic tube draining off a bit of blood. A little sore, but nothing to write home about. The worst thing was that I felt nauseous for about 6 hours. Nurses checked my blood pressure and added a hypodermic load or two into the IV line every few hours throughout the night. My friend was there to lever me out of the bed for a couple of trips to the loo ... where everything worked without a problem.

By midday on Wednesday, a bit more than 24 hours after the surgery I was dressed and ready to go home, which is where I am now. No hematomas or bruising aside from the incision site. No swelling. Everything seems to be functioning normally. Minimal pain and I have pain killers that seem to control the little there is without making me feel drugged.

Total cost was Baht 96,500 plus whatever I may have to pay for follow-up appointments to remove the staples, etc. Was given a waterproof dressing so I can shower without a problem until the dressing is removed.

I know there are cheaper places to have it done and I was looking forward to getting it done in Sattahip, but from what I can tell this was a great outcome. My friend and I were treated well. The food wasn't all that great, the tv was cable not satellite and the wifi connection was pretty weak ... but the surgery went very well and the nursing care was excellent. Compared to some of the horror stories I've read on other Thailand related message boards, this was a great outcome. Sitting here at the computer I feel no pain and can walk about with no pain.

Certainly hope I don't need anything like this again, but if I did I'd want to do it at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital even if I could save a few baht elsewhere.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

helpful information. I also like Pattaya Bangkok hospital even thou it is more expensive than the others in Pattaya.

Liked

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience....it will be helpful to many.

And glad you came through in good shape. Relax and heal up