Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maestro and traveller's cheques

Liked

Re: Maestro and traveller's cheques

I also have stopped using T/C as backup.

Now I just send a wire transfer in USD to my bank in BKK. It translates at an excellent rate and then I can just use my ATM. I send a set amount each time and it also is a good budget tool. I also like the ability to easily transfer to others within Thailand if required such as travel agents and others to avoid carry around large amounts of cash.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

I use AEON ATMs (to save the 150 Baht fee on other ATMs) and bring cash for emergency.

Last month, the maximum I withdrew with my visa-card was 15,000 Baht (in Silom Centre), acutally I wanted 20,000, but the ATM refused (although my daily limit is 1000 EUR ~ 40,000 THB). The exchange rate is slightly (about 0,3 Baht per Euro) better than at exchange booths.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay
    Does anyone know where, in the UK, you can actually specify the denomination of TC's you buy? I haven't been able to find anywhere. They always include some of the bloody useless ┬г20 (equal to 980 baht ones) and then it gets expensive at 30 baht a time. Ideally, I'd like to buy some ┬г200 American Express TC's.
    ceejay.. When i used TC's I used to get larger denominations ie ┬г100 and ┬г200 from co-op travel and they were American Express TC's, I'm not sure if they still do but they did a couple of years back, worth a look. :glasses7:
    [color=#0000FF][b]nelo[/b][/color]

Liked

I use a variety of methods, including travelers checks, for funds. TCs do typically get a little better exchange rate, plus they are replaceable if lost or stolen. I can get them without fee from my financial institution in the USA, so that makes it a good alternative method for me. If you have to pay a fee to your bank to get the TCs, probably not worth it.

I also will take some $100 bills and also have ATM card to use. Emergency backup is credit card with no ForEx fee.

I like the peace of mind that comes with having some options in regard to getting money, just in case something unusual happens. (ATM failures, pickpocket, etc)

Liked

Okay, I don't bring cash with me, because I don't like to travel with a big amount of cash.

I thought that T/C was so outdated, but now I see that some of you are still using them.

My problem is that there are no T/C in DKK, so I have to change them from DKK to USD or Euro or Yen or what ever.
    Then I have to change them from USD or whatever into TBH. You also have to sign each T/C, and I have got 2 change "fees"

Now I "only" take 1 Visa, 4 Mastercards and 1 Diners with me, so I hope I am secured if anything is going wrong. :laughing3:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dick
    I just bring foreign currency and convert when in LOS (not at the airport) and then pay into my savings account. I can then use my Thai ATM card to draw out for free as and when needed. No charge so long as I use an SCB ATM and I am in the same province as my bank e.g. Pattaya. If I draw money from an SCB ATM in say Udon Thani, then there will be a small charge.
    I have used my Bangkok Bank ATM at other bank ATMs in Pattaya - there was no fee charged - it used to be 20 Baht. As I recall, the Gov't instructed the banks to not charge a fee to someone using another Thai bank's ATM card - BUT, I think it said it was limited to 4 times per month.

When I use the card at Bangkok Bank ATMs outside of the Province, the fee is 10 Baht. I have not tried to use it at other bank ATMs outside the Province so don't know what fee is charged for that.

Liked

A creature of habit, I've always been a t/c man, fearing the disappearance of one of my cards into the darkness of a Thai bank.
    I always bring high denominations- and to answer an earlier question, Lloyds TSB provide exactly the demoninations you want. I prefer ┬г200 notes.
    I enjoy the extra security afforded by t/cs but not the amount of time the cashiers take to change them up. Nor was I appreciative of TMB on the corner of Pattayaland Soi 2 this morning when its exchange still hadn't opened at 1125. The exchange booth next to Mike (and similar ones elsewhere) do not accept t/cs, by the way.
    I've often considered giving up t/cs; in fact I tried it once, only to be robbed on my way to Thailand at Heathrow. The loss of that cash and my cards persuaded me that, perhaps, it's best to continue with t/cs.
    But that's another (and painful) story.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    When I used to go back and forth I avoided all the ATM fees by bringing US $100 dollar notes and changing them at the yellow exchange booth just outside of Boystown. Always got more and never a change fee on my cards. Now I don't travel anymore so I have to wire it to myself from USA, $40.
    db...
    $40 is a high fee for a wire to TH...
    What is your bank?

Do you wire to Bangkok Bank/NYC?
    I have CitiBank & charge is flat $18.75...BKK Bk charges $5. + 250 thb.

Also, if you set up bank transfer from your bank to Bkk Bk NYC...
    maybe no charge...depends on your bank...
    if you can set up link between the two banks.

tj
    Tj

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes I found this out last month but as I have no plans to go back to the US I am stuck the way it is. $25 domestic and $40 International with Chase. My disability check which is govt going into my personal is done thru BKK Bank NY

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    Yes I found this out last month but as I have no plans to go back to the US I am stuck the way it is. $25 domestic and $40 International with Chase. My disability check which is govt going into my personal is done thru BKK Bank NY
    db,
    Does Chase charge for a bank to bank transfer within the US?

If not...then set up transfer ...not wire...from Chase USA to BKK Bk NYC...
    via SWIFT...

Usually when you first set this up...online ...under bank to bank transfers...
    your bank will send small deposit too BkkBk NYC..
    you confirm the amount rec'd by Bkk Bk NYC...with Chase online....
    then you should be able to do transfers for FREE.

Just an idea.

tj
    Tj