Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qantas to pull out of Bangkok??

Qantas to pull out of Bangkok??

Yesterday Qantas announced a tie up with Emirates and today I read this "Qantas has however vowed to significantly improve its frequencies and connections between Australia and Singapore and Hong Kong, raising fears that for Bangkok the answer if you want quality and Qantas FF points will be Emirates, and if you want cheap and ghastly, it will be Jetstar, which of course it wonтАЩt be since the bargain hunting market will fill Thai International flights, which trade on a combination of full service no extras low fares in economy, a formula unknown to Jetstar."

Liked: 1

Re: Qantas to pull out of Bangkok??

The above quote was pure speculation from a commentator. While predicting Qantas behaviour is not easy, there does not appear to be any basis in the recent Qantas-Emirates tie-up annoucement to suspect that QF SYD-BKK-SYD will cease. Indeed Qantas said that there will be no changes in BKK (after the significant changes earlier this year when it ceased BKK-LHR-BKK) - see below.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... es:lang:en ....

"12. If I am a Qantas customer flying internationally from April 2013 onwards, what does this mean for my travel?

If you are flying to North or South America, South Africa, Japan, Bangkok, as well as New Zealand, The Philippines, Jakarta, Hawaii, China or other Qantas codeshare destinations you are not affected at all by these announcements.
    If you are flying to Singapore or Hong Kong, your flights may have a different departure and arrival time however you will still travel on the same day. We will advise you directly of any time changes to your itinerary.
    If you are travelling to the UK or Europe from April 2013, your flight will operate via Dubai and then onward to your destination, subject to regulatory approval.
    Options will also be available for customers who would still like to travel via Singapore or Hong Kong."

Emirates do fly SYD-BKK.

Qantas's LCC Jetstar ("Bogan Air") fly MEL-BKK-MEL.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

Liked

Any one got any ideas on the BA/Qantas code share , has it been cancelled ?

Liked: 1

I have been following the details since the Qantas/Emirates announcement closely. There is no suggestion that the BA/QF codeshare will disappear. The complication is that BA and QF cooperation between London and Australia was the subject of BOTH their Joint Services Agreement AND their joint membership of Oneworld. So again it's largely speculation. The JSA (basically a route revenue sharing agreement as I understand it) is being dissolved. But QF and BA will remain Oneworld partners (unless something else changes). So they should continue to have codeshares just like each of them do with the other OW partners.

What is more likely to change is things like reciprocal lounge access (which BA was already playing hardball over for the last year or so) .. and the joint QF/BA lounges like the one in BKK. I believe that these have more to do with the JSA than with OW.

The Qantas love in with BA is all over red rover from next April - http://bit.ly/RNwxWB

As a mere observer - the way that article tells it, the Emirates tie-up makes complete sense for anybody flying fom Australia to Europe.

The ability to bypass London and to cut out at least one connection, should be great for those passengers flying into European or regional UK airports.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    As a mere observer - the way that article tells it, the Emirates tie-up makes complete sense for anybody flying fom Australia to Europe.
    Not so fast Sunshine - http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/trav ... 25nei.html

Liked

Friends of mine liked to take the qantas or ba flights when they visit australia , because they had a stopover , in bkk going 1 way , and sgn the other. After qantas change their routing next year that will only leave them with ba if they want to do a stop over. I cant see many people wanting a dubai stopover

Liked

I am not sure why things have changed for your friends. Qantas still has the daily flight from Sydney to Bangkok daily If your friends have need for a stopover what is the problem

The flight leaves Sydney 5 hours earlier to cater for those who fly to other Thailand flights.

BA flights still leave the UK at the same time and arrive in BKK at 15.30 They have the choice of the stopover either way.

The inconvenience for through passengers from London to Sydney is the 6 hour gap in Bangkok.

I flew to BKK recently on a delayed flight and the drama of getting people to other internal flights, and for transfer to other airlines, was huge.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    The inconvenience for through passengers from London to Sydney is the 6 hour gap in Bangkok.
    That 6 hour layover seems to indicate the long-standing BA/Qantas tie-up won't last much longer. And with the Qantas/Emirates tie-up, who would not put money on Qantas leaving OneWorld in due course?

Plus there are now strong rumours that BA is courting a tie-up with Qatar, to my mind the best airline in the world at present. Frankly, if I was flying from Sydney to London, I'm not sure I'd be too pleased at having to change from an excellent airline to one that is now bordering on the third rate for the last sector. Indeed, I'd just take Qatar all the way. One bonus could be that Qatar might finally agree to join OneWorld.

On the issue of BA, one thing that has surprised me over the last decade is how the airline has drastically cut its Australasian operations. There used to be 16 BA destinations - now there are 7. Why it should have concentrated so much effort on the ultra competitive Atlantic routes which are not the most efficient for their long-range 744s and 777s and cut out routes to the expanding markets in Asia, beats me. Even much smaller European airlines like Finnair have been expanding rapidly with new point-to-point routes to Asia.