We have just returned from Hanoi were we completed our Civil Partnership. A simple and painless task, just thought others might be planning this and so here is how we did it:

Off to the Local Amphur for a letter stating that the Thai is not married, get it certified by a local Lawyer and then Stamped and Sealed at the Passport Office in Bangkok. Seems strange, but the department is on the upper floor of the Passport Office. Time: 1 hour in Banlangmuang, 1 day for certifying, 1 hour for stamp in BKK.

Book the Hotel Asia Star in Hanoi for 9 days, (great deal through Agoda for $19 per night), because you have to be resident in Vietnam for 7 days, the first and last don't count. Contact the Embassy a couple of days before hand so they are expecting you, and deposit your paperwork with them. There is a simple downloadable form from the Embassy website in Vietnam which you have to complete.

Then sit back and wait 14 days for no-objections to your proposal to be raised. The Embassy will contact you and confirm all is well, and arrange a time and place mutually convenient for you all within 3 months. Return to Hanoi, pop-in the Embassy, sign the form and that is it. You also need 2 witnesses, we took some friends with us, but the Hotel had also arranged 2 locals for us incase our friends could not attend (very nice of them).

Flew with Vietnam Air 7100 rtn....ok for a 2 hour hop...no inflight entertainment etc. This time used Qatar as they have a promotion, 6400 rtn,beautiful flight, bulkhead seats that even my 180cm frame could stretch fully out in, good inflight movies, music...and they don't switch it off 30 mins before landing, I was still watching The Avengers as we taxied to the Gate :happy7:

Hotel Asia Star used for both trips, very friendly and attentative...booked all trips, taxis, collections etc. Will defo use them again when we return to Vietnam later this year. Night Porter is particularly friendly :happy7:

What to do for 9 days in Vietnam: Sap Ha on the overnight train for 3 days in the mountains, Ha Long bay for 2 nights and the rest eating good food and discovering the Old Quarter of Hanoi.

So now we are a happily CP couple I have to put all my bar nights behind me :crybaby: .....but Him Indoors said "..it better you go out and not bother me" arty

so will being see DaBoss and The Boys very soon.