Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Money Questions

Money Questions

Okay,

So i'm trying to finalize my budget for moving to Thiland, as I've not managed to save as much as I hoped thanks to my vehicle needing some repair, but that's a different story . . .

Can anybody who lives in Thailand answer me the following questions:

How much is it to get a new cell phone (a basic one, not too many bells or whistles) and how much is it for use a month on average?

also, I will be teaching English while living in Thailand and writing my dissertation, so how much would basic teaching attire (dress shirt, slacks) cost? I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to buy my nice clothes here or there.

Also, besides Visa Runs and boyfriends, are their any expenses you found to be surprising or excessive in Thailand that I should budget for?

Any help would be appreciated

I got a basic new cellphone for 75 dollars. With 1-2 call phone cards, you can buy minutes for as little as 100 baht increments (I think) and the calls are charged at about 3 baht a minute, so it depends how much you talk.
    Unexpected expenses? Hmmmm. Tropical diseases. Air conditioning. Farang food (almost everyone tires of always eating Thai food).

I would buy your clothes in the US, cheaper overall and better selection for styles you want, especially if you are not petite size. Also buy some decent shoes there.

Clothes

Depending on your size you may find it easier to buy some clothes before you come. You may find this bizarre but I have to buy my underpants abroad. Socks on the street are plentiful but poor quality. XXL shirts are not all the same size in Bangkok

You didn't mention what you will do for Internet connectivity. You will need to rely on public transport eg. Skytrain and taxis much more

Liked

Re: Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    " ... You may find this bizarre but I have to buy my underpants abroad ... "
    Bizarre, no.
    Disgusting, very much so.

Even reading Khun Homintern use the word "underpants" makes me squeamish in the extreme.
    The post above should be deleted by the Mod ~ IMHO.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

You are quite the sensitive chap, eh?

Thanks so much

for the info . . .

I guess I should have said that I am a US size small, which i think is a medium anywhere else due to vanity sizing.

I appreciate the info, especially to Thaiquila about the cell phone. . . does anyone else have any experience in this realm?

As for clothing, i think I'll buy them here on your recommendation.

By the way, for those of you who are larger and proud of it . . . try these out.

http://fatguyshirts.com/

Internet

Quote Originally Posted by homintern

You didn't mention what you will do for Internet connectivity. much more
    Oh, I'm spending my first 2 months at school in Pattaya, so i'll just use internet cafes, and my laptop has a wifi card, so i'll probably mooch off the free hot spots around (and if i have to order a beer, even better)

After that I have an apartment lined up in Bankok, and Broadband comes with the rent. It's a studio that's serviced once/week. It's only 7,000 baht/month, i thought a good deal considering it's on Sathorn.

And while in Pattaya, I'll be staying for two months at Monty's, so i'm sure there's a wifi spot close, or at least an internet cafe.

Liked
    If im not mistaken, there is an internet cafe within 2 store fronts of Montys BB..

See you around the pool..

john
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........

Re: Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    The post above should be deleted by the Mod ~ IMHO
    Getting your knickers in a knot?

Liked

Re: Money Questions

Quote Originally Posted by HeWentThere
    ....Also, besides Visa Runs and boyfriends, are their (sic) any expenses you found to be surprising or excessive in Thailand that I should budget for? Any help would be appreciated
    The number of sick buffalo that need heart transplants?