Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Is it Possible to live Simply in Thailand teaching English?

Liked

Is it Possible to live Simply in Thailand teaching English?

I am considering moving to Thailand and teaching English As a Second Language. (ESL) I have taught 7 years in Taiwan and
    really enjoyed it and it paid for my living expenses. I am Australian.
    Can anyone offer any advice as to where to begin, how much to expect wagewise, working conditions etc?
    Also I have been searching for the thread about how much money can one live on in Thailand but
    can't seem to locate it. If anyone who may have posted on it can pm me with the thread I would greatly appreciate
    it.
    Thank You.....

Liked

Re: Is it Possible to live Simply in Thailand teaching Engli

I was looking into the same thing awhile back. I was referred to the stickman website, which has a LOT of good information about teaching English in Thailand. Very helpful and appeared to be the most realistic about what to expect.

Link below :

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/teaching.html

Good luck.

Liked

Try http://www.ajarn.com I think you'll find everything you want to know there.

Its possible but there are all kinds of requirements, and all kinds of schools. I'm sure those links will be very useful. I believe you need a degree as well as a TEFL certificate, plus there are background (police) checks required from you home country. International schools are going to pay better than private language schools in most cases, but they are also much harder to get into. Salaries in private schools are often poor, and you might find it a little tight budget wise.

Liked

If you love Thailand for holidays then might I rrespectfully suggest that you don't live there. There are many options for teaching English abroad and many pay considerably more than Thailand, China and Vietnam for two. If you want information on China then pm me.

There are certainly lots of simpletons doing it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I forget his name but the one that was arrested here for Binet Ramsey....wasn't he here teaching English? I thought I read several articles of different people being picked up by police to be "exported" to their homelands because of child rape.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    I forget his name but the one that was arrested here for Binet Ramsey....wasn't he here teaching English? I thought I read several articles of different people being picked up by police to be "exported" to their homelands because of child rape.

I guess you are thinking of the transexual John Mark Karr aka Alexis Reich and yes he/she was teaching in a Thai school when arrested and extradited to the US.

It is worth noting however that all the "admissions" to the murder of 6yo JonBen├йt Ramsey were proved false when the DNA found "at the scene" was found not to match, and all charges relating to the murder were dropped.

When he/she started teaching in Thailand it was as a result of having jumped bail and being on he run from CP charges in the US. It's also worth mentioning that (whilst still a male) he had previously married a 13yo girl in Alabama, fucked her in every way possible for a year - but nothing seemed to come of it (must be a very broadminded lot in Alabama).

So it seems that those "stringent police checks" Rainbow mentioned are not quite as robust as they might be - I mean, here was a guy on the run for CP charges who had previously married a 13yo, and the 13yo had made a complaint of abuse - yet he gets hired to teach English :dontknow: