Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Team GB

Team GB

So far....GB...has 2 medals..silver for womens cycling and bronz for womens swimming

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Team GB

Are those the only two that have been given out or are you going to only report on GB? :dontknow:

No..many given out allready...China lead with 12

As the OP has chosen to title his topic "Team GB" I don't think he is obligated to report on the medal tally for Burkina Faso or anywhere else. Others will drag it off topic soon enough -oops they already have.

:evil4:

Liked

But we won the gold for best opening ceremony ever- celebrating our community, our National Health Service, protest movements like CND, the Jarrow hunger marchers and the Suffragettes... and multi-ethnic Britain.
    And the young black guy in the facebook/romance scene was so cute!

Bugger the medals.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    But we won the gold for best opening ceremony ever- celebrating our community, our National Health Service, protest movements like CND, the Jarrow hunger marchers and the Suffragettes... and multi-ethnic Britain.

Bugger the medals.
    Surprised you didn't mention how pleased you were that a moment of silence wasn't observed for the 40 year anniversary of mass murder of Israeli athletes by Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Olympics (BTW, I was there in Munich).

BTW, the lame excuse for not taking the one minute turned out to be a total crock. OK, this decision was made by the Olympic officials, not the London show producers.

ItтАЩs now clear that Rogge wasnтАЩt telling the whole truth. ItтАЩs not that the opening ceremony wasnтАЩt fit to remember tragedies. ItтАЩs that the IOC wanted to pick and choose which tragedies to remember. The fallen from world wars and the deceased relatives of people with opening ceremony tickets made the cut. The victims of a terrorist attack that occurred at the Olympics four decades ago did not.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_ci ... 1972_.html

I did love the other stuff. Especially the tributes to national health and labor unions. Hilarious with Romney in London, the American enemy of health care access for Americans and American labor unions.
    Cunt Pride!

Bugger the medals.

The opening ceremony was a celebration of ENGLAND, not Great Britain.

We had 4 hours of "England's green and pleasant land" including people mincing round maypoles, and 1 minute 30 seconds in total of Scottish, Welsh, and N Irish content where schoolkids sang mawkish songs for 30 seconds each. On the same theme we were "treated" to the so-called National Anthem - a dirge which contains the words 'Rebellious Scots to crush" and expected to join in!

I'm not saying it wasn't impressive as a spectacle - but don't try to pass it off as a celebration of anything other than Englishness.

PS: There is no such thing as "our National Health Service" - there are infact 4 discrete and automomous Health Services within these islands.

If you really want to know what many Scots think - http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php...save-the-queen

Liked

A fair point...though it is the London Olympics. If Glasgow were to be awarded the next one, I'm not sure how much of a look-in we'd get.
    Nevertheless, I have sympathy.
    The NHS point is a little sententious; as far as the rest of the world is concerned, "we" have an NHS and "we" established it across the UK in the years of poverty following WW2, against all the odds. And it is envied by most. Apart from the Tea Party, naturally.

A fair point...though it is the London Olympics.
    Yes it is the London Olympics - but financed by funds raised throughout the UK, e.g. the National Lottery.

I don't have a problem with it being a London event or even an English event - I have a problem with the spin that somehow all these sporting facilities being built in London will benefit the rest of the UK, when the reality is that funding is being withdrawn from regional sports facilities to finance a London jamboree. If London wants 99.9% of the facilities and prestige, let it fund 99.9% of the cost.

Compare the UK wide funding of these London Games with the Commonwealth Games to be held in Glasgow in 2014 for which there will be not one penny of UK wide funding, the entire cost of which is having to be underwritten by the Scottish Government and Glasgow City Council - and you wonder if you will get "a look-in"? :sign5:

The point I'm making about the NHS is that it is paraded as a single unified entity when it is not.
    I guarantee that the vast majority of SGF members would not know that there are in fact 4 discrete Health Services in the UK all with their own funds, programs and priorities. Sure it's not a big major point but it illustrates the spin that is put on such matters by people who think England and Great Britain is the same thing.

Liked: 1

Ok I will bite. Scottish you are beginning to sound a bit of a bore with all this Scottish 'oh woe is me crap'. Seriously mate who do you think subsidises the current folly that is the Scottish Parliament etc etc. The Commonwealth games in 2014 is already being funded by a mix of public/private money. No doubt it will go over budget and have to be bailed out by the UK govt. Just like the SCOTTISH Banks in 2008. Honestly mate and PLEASE don't take this personally but the way some Scottish people whinge and moan about England or London or the rest of the UK I just wish they would hurry up and have the referendum right now so you can all fuck off :laughing3:

Its a fact that Scotland could never survive as an independent nation. What it would gain in Oil or Gas revenues it would lose in all the subsidies it gains from London right now. It could n't afford it's own armed forces and would never be allowed to join the Euro. Who do you think bailed out the Scottish banks in 2008?? RBS and HBOS are both basket cases. RBS alone has debt 13 times that of Scotland's entire GDP. Scotland would be bankrupt without the help it receives from the UK gov't. End of. Don't take my word for it. Just take a look here:

http://www.economist.com/node/21552564