Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what constitutes a friend?

Liked

So what constitutes a friend?

Hmmmm, why not keep it simple and start with defining a friend. To me a friend is someone you care about who cares about you. Someone who tells you when you are wrong and supports you when you are right, etc. etc. Add living together and sex and you have a boyfriend. I don't believe the sex has to be monogamous, but that is up to the two people to decide. I have been with my BF for three years now and do to our age difference I offered him an open relationship. Surprise he wanted monogamy and so far it has worked out well for us, but each to his own.

Re: So what constitutes a friend?

A copy from topic "So what constitutes a boyfriend?" at advice/request from DaBoss. Thanks Daboss, missed this topic.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word boyfriend should explain it all already.

boy FRIEND, therefore he has to first be a friend. A friend is someone you can trust 100% in all matters, incl. your bank account, bankcards, etc.

A friend is not someone you see regular in the bar as a drinking, chatten or whatever person (Thai or farang). Those persons you call acquaintances, very good or just basic - drinking/sex buddies. Anyone who is honest to himself should say I can count my friends on one hand, since you do not trust your acquaintances 100%

So a boyfriend is someone you trust 100% in ALL MATTERS and also have regular sex with, including the most important part the cuddle.

Guess this means that for us farangs, most, if not all, do NOT have a boyfriend, but just a very good acquaintance we share the bed with unless you have a shared bank account with him on which is all your money.

Of course the above is just a constitutes of the word boyfriend. Someone is your boyfriend whenever you feel like it, same as your drinking buddy you call a friend, because if you call him an acquaintance he might not drink with you anymore.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ronthai
    A friend is someone you can trust 100% in all matters, incl. your bank account, bankcards, etc.
    Really?

"A fool and his money are soon parted". Thomas Tusser 1557

It was true then and true now.

That is why we have the word "acquaintances" :salute:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well I have always said that a person should be able to count their friends on on hand. I am glad to know someone agrees with me. Aquaintances are easy, People should never throw the word "friend" around as casually as most do.
    I feel a friend is someone you know for many many a year and who you would have no hesitation in allowing them to make the decision to pull the plug or not.

Liked

In Thailand the use of the word friend is used so damm much !!!!!

Everybody is your friend it seems to Thais

Many time i have asked a thai in my company (lets call him an acquaintance) who is that guy over there???? -- then the answer back in so many cases --"oh he friend me "
    So i ask whats his name (not "what name him ") and so many times the answer back is "not know "

Drives me nuts 55555555555555

Liked

Many years ago I remember being told a Thai proverb about friendship, and whilst I canb't remember the exact wording it was something like 'You have three types of friends, friends that will drink with you, friends that will die with you and friends that will die for you'. Or words to that effect ... may be someone knows the full proverb (hopefully), but I always thought it seemed an accurate definition of friendship.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    I feel a friend is someone you know for many many a year and who you would have no hesitation in allowing them to make the decision to pull the plug or not.
    I agree as long as they don't know how much they will inherit.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ronthai
    That is why we have the word "acquaintances" :salute:
    No need to shout in colors or is that a scream? I read your use of acquaintances vs friends but do not believe it is wise to trust anyone with one's own fiances especially a Thai boyfriend. Yes I know, he is not a boyfriend unless he has access to your bank account according to you; only an acquaintances. :kap:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

My opinion is: This question is based on a faulty philosophy. A philosophy of labels.

I don't believe in labelling people ( or as seldom as possible ).

The logical problem with labels is actually illustrated well in this thread.

You say we are "friends". But YOUR definition of "friends" is drastically different than mine. Now we have set ourselves up for some grand misunderstandings or worse.

You say "We are boyfriends". But YOUR definition of that label is 180 degrees different from mine. Look out.... Rough seas ahead!

I try my best NOT to use labels at all.
    check out http://gaysexthailand.com every day