List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Booze - is it just beer & whisky?

Liked

Booze - is it just beer & whisky?

Hi folks.

Jeez, this is almost a life or death question.

I've been reading and reading and something that really comes across is that everyone talks about drinking beers and buying bottles of whisky to share in the bars.

I hate both, and I'm a big drinker.

I'm a rum or vodka drinker. If it's got to be a brown drink, i'd drink Jack. Will I find vodka or other spirits? By the bottle to share and party with in bars / clubs?

And someone said wine and champagne are hard to find & expensive?

Liked

Re: Booze - is it just beer & whisky?

I'm a vodka drinker and have never had a problem finding it. As for wine, I was drinking some Australian red last year and it was ok for me, but I'm no expert - I just know what I like - it wasn't expensive.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Bacardi never was a problem

I'm like yourself Brettjm that I've known to be a spirits drinker ( Bacardi, Vodka, jack daniels you name it :-) when at home and I find "generally" you can get enough of whatever you need in most decent bars ( may be not all bars in Sunnee though I found!) - however in saying that it was so bloody hot that I reverted to drinking almost always either only beer ( which I like too :-) or god forbid WATER to keep my hydration levels up - I never thought I'd live to see that day !!!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by NIrish Guy
    I reverted to drinking . . . .god forbid WATER to keep my hydration levels up - I never thought I'd live to see that day !!!
    call yourself an Irishman? ought to be ashamed. :occasion9:

Liked

Beaucoup wine and champagne in retail stores but at a high price. Even cheap wine is expensive @ 300 Baht/bottle. The wine served at bars is awful; almost all serve some swill called Mont Clair. Restaurants have house wine that may/may not be drinkable and also have wine by the bottle. Price of bottled wines is even more expensive then retail by 100%. Thailand is not a wine drinkers paradise.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Thailand is not a wine drinkers paradise.
    No it is not, I have also trouble finding a Poire William or an Armangac Vintage as an avec to my coffee. :laughing3:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gaymandenmark
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Thailand is not a wine drinkers paradise.
    No it is not, I have also trouble finding a Poire William or an Armangac Vintage as an avec to my coffee. :laughing3:
    quelle horreur :occasion9:

Liked

Brettjm.
    You will certainly be able to find vodka in Thailand, and just about any other liquor as well. As indicated, some of the smaller bars might have a more limited selection. You just have to ask. In most cases, if you have a request to open a whole bottle, most likely one of the staff will hurry off to the store to get a bottle if not in already in stock.

If you are looking to open a "personal" bottle of vodka at a bar, keep it for numerous nights and offer a drink or two for some friends, also very easy to do. They will find a bottle for you if you ask.

Hitting the disco with a large group might be a bit more dicey. Seems the default bottle of choice for the group is scotch whiskey (Johny Walker Red or Black) or a cheaper blend (Piper, etc). I don't think I have ever seen a group bottle of vodka...but I am not the disco expert, so someone may correct me.

While not my first choice for a drink, when partying at the disco, the JW Red is tolerable. I usually mix with half soda water and half Coke. Somehow seems to go down just fine....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by anonone
    While not my first choice for a drink, when partying at the disco, the JW Red is tolerable. I usually mix with half soda water and half Coke. Somehow seems to go down just fine....
    certainly after the first 3 or 4 :alc: