Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot, Roan, Suffering

Liked

Hot, Roan, Suffering

Friends, it has been really hot here in Bangkok. Worse than I remember it being any year since I've been living here. Air conditioners have make life easier but I really hate confining myself to the house or other air conditioned places. When I was a kid we didn't even have an air conditioner. I was 16 when we got our first one and my high school was never cooled. How did we survive? I guess we just never realized how bad it was and just lived with it. Now, I've become a pussy and have to admit it. Such is life.

Similar Threads:
      Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

Re: Hot, Roan, Suffering

Time for some Thai iced tea!

Liked

It seems every conversation this trip starts with "roan mak mak". I agree the heat has been brutal. I am certainly spending more time inside air conditioned gogo bars then outdoor host bars. And I know Bangkok is hotter than here in Pattaya.

Something just occurred to me. Are there issues with tourists getting into medical problems from not being used to the heat? I don't recall every hearing about this, but this heat has to difficult for someone not used to tropical type heat. Hmm?

Liked

anonone, you pose an interesting question. I got dizzy this week while walking around Chatuchak market. Surely other have had, at least, similar experiences.
      Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

Yeah, this year is just brutal for some reason. And it doesn't stop! Been going for almost 3 months now I think. I even started a post about it a couple months ago:

post247745.html

It's fine for the 1st month, because you just shrug it off as the joys of living in SE Asia. Starting to get tiresome now though. Although, past couple days have been excellent due to cloud and rains, but that clear sky and +41C is a bit unbearable. Especially since we don't have any air conditioning, except the bedroom, so we're basically stuck outside in the shade with fans all day. heh, makes me realize I'm sitting here thinking +29C is a nice, cool, comfortable day. I'm going to freeze next time I visit Canada. :-)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kjun12
      anonone, you pose an interesting question. I got dizzy this week while walking around Chatuchak market. Surely other have had, at least, similar experiences.
      I think you were pretty brave to go to Chatuchak at all in this weather. I reckon that it gets a good 10 degrees hotter than the outside in there - it must have been close to 50 while you were there. I'd recommend visiting early in the day, at any time of the year, to avoid the heat (the crowds aren't quite as bad either). There are one or two air conditioned cafes in there somewhere (sorry, it's no good asking me for directions on how to find anything in Chatuchak) that you can duck into for a bit of respite.
      Yes, I have had the odd attack of dizziness from the heat in the past. To avoid it there are three things which, taken together, work for me:
      If you walk around, do it at a nice even, steady, pace. Don't speed up unless you really need to (dodging a motocy on the pavement for example)
      Have a dose of rehydration salts before you go out.
      Drink water little and often through the day. Don't wait till you feel the need of it. That's too late.
      I'd add don't drink alcohol - but that one might fall on deaf ears for some of us! Seriously, if you are hung over, you need to get rehydrated before you face these sort of temperatures outside.

Forum's veteran
      Liked

The set up I have is like bungalows. I walk out of the bedroom, outside, and to the open air kitchen. I get what I want and rush back to the air-conditioned bedroom. God I don't want to look at the next electric bill! Lst month was 2,000 baht higher than normal! :crybaby:

I sympathise -
      it's roasting here as well -
      8c yesterday - had to get the factor 30 sunblock out

:glasses7: :glasses7: :glasses7:

Liked

it's sweltering here in Dublin too - 6 degrees right now - couldn't possibly go out in that
      Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
      Liked

Grrrrrr! You ought to go to hell! Picking on a roasted turkey like that! I would rather be in the cold than the heat except where I came from in the cold had no little chickens to keep me warm at night. :munky2: