Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

View Poll Results: Moderation: Too Much or Too Little?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think that there is currently too much moderating, deleting and editing of posts

18 26.47%
  • I would like to see more moderation on the board so there are more intelligent posts

13 19.12%
  • I like it just the way it is

29 42.65%
  • No opinion either way

8 11.76%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL ON BOARD MODERATION

Forum's veteran
    Liked

POLL ON BOARD MODERATION

SInce I have taken over, there are comments of too much moderation which some of you don't seem to like and there are those of you that would feel that more of the old timers as well as more newbies would join if there were an even tougher crackdown on some of the limited crap we permit go away.

So the poll here is to figure out do you want a tougher stand on the crap so more intelligent conversation can be had as well as many more pople would come back or join ? Do you feel that there is just enough moderation? Or do you still feel that there is still too much? One vote per user and will last 3 weeks in which time you will be allowed to change your vote or a no comment.

This poll may or may not have bearing on future moderation.

Thanks

Re: POLL ON BOARD MODERATION

whilst I guess it's good ( I think??) that you're seeking the views of the board ( although I wasn't aware this was a democracy - dangerous game to start if you ask me) but I think you're poll is too general to actually answer the question you asked, "sometimes" maybe it's too much, sometimes maybe it's too little, sometimes it's fine and sometimes I couldn't care less - but I guess that's all just down to my own personal feelings on day and on whatever subject we're all waffling on about and I doubt you'll ever get true agreement on what is "right" across "the board" about ANYTHING as that is the very nature of a good board - and the day we all agree with everything each other says will be a very boring day indeed on here.

Personally I believe it's your board to do with what you will, some will like it, some will hate it, some will stay and some will go - but design by committee in effect is in my opinion always the least successful way of getting a satisfactory outcome to ANY area ( see what a great job all of our politicians do with that for details:-( ) so, you should trust your gut and not doubt your own judgement ( whether that be right or wrong) as to show a willingness for "opinion" may by some be misconstrued as weakness - and I think we all know that sick or not right now you are most certainly not THAT person :-)

* Although I've just noticed your "may or may not affect future moderation decisions" line .......nice to see you've left door open to totally ignore the vote if you so chose - just as it should be ! lol

So, just to bugger things up - I want to tick ALL the boxes !! :-)

Liked

I like things just the way they are. Sure, some threads go way off-topic or descend into bitch fights, but that's the nature of these things. I don't think there are lots of potential "interesting" posters out there who don't post because of the bickering - witness the recent great trip report threads.

So, I'm happy with the status quo.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

It's an ungrateful task.

I honestly think that WE "the posters" should do some soul searching. How about taking some responsibility away from the moderator. Cliche: a better forum starts with yourself. I just had a discussion with one of the board members about my own past here, on this, and other boards. I could get really pissed off when people would twist my words or make false accusations. Even the last week someone tried to get a rise out of me...I'm not biting anymore. And yes, there are still some people on this board that are full of crap, but I won't be tempted to confront them publicly again.

Again, I wasn't and I'm still not a saint, but I think that "live and let live" is a better motto for me now.

Increased moderation would not necessarily lead to "more intelligent posts" - for the simple reason that what is or what is not "intelligent" is completely subjective.

Another point is that I don't necessarily come here to be "educated" (which is just as well) - I come here for primarily for fun, so whether a post is deemed "intelligent" or not is immaterial to me.

In my view it's OK the way it is, and I voted accordingly.

:hello2:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    " ... Increased moderation would not necessarily lead to "more intelligent posts" - for the simple reason that what is or what is not "intelligent" is completely subjective.
    Another point is that I don't necessarily come here to be "educated" (which is just as well) - I come here for primarily for fun, so whether a post is deemed "intelligent" or not is immaterial to me
    ... "
    It's mpossible to disagree with Scottish Guy's description.
    A message board owner who desires to 'make' a message board 'intelligent', 'educational', or free from 'certain types of persons' simply doesn't have a clue what a successful message board is all about.
    It's definitely arguable, but I believe that a good board, populated with a diverse group of folks who participate because the place is fun, entertaining, informational, free-speaking, and a bit edgy, and lacking a moderator's heavy-handedness and predilection to 'massage' a board in a certain direction (of his own choosing).
    I think members of a message board would ~ in general ~ prefer for a moderator to be mostly seen-but-not-heard. The owner/moderator of this version of Sawatdee is definitely not in agreement with anything like that: to his own detriment.

I like this choice:
    I would like to see more moderation on the board so there are more intelligent posts
    The implication here is of course that the moderator would decide what is, or is not, 'intelligent' ... then edit, delete, move, or lock to make sure his decisions on 'intelligence' are adhered to. Scary stuff.
    Anyone here want that (I concede, slightly exaggerated) example of so-called moderation to become the norm?
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

an interesting opinion on the topic Smiles up to the point where you needed to crawl into my head and look at it and decide what MY opinion and what I wanted with this board. Unfortunately your tarrot cards were incorrect. Please stick to your opinions rather than letting everyone know what their opinions are per Smiles. :3some:

to much for my likeing.. i agree if things can get you into trouble then they should be stopped ..
    but just because a few people might not agree with each other i dont think posts should be deleted or changed ..
    and what is wrong with the odd bitch fight ?? if a board is to be like real life then it needs to have disagreements as well as
    intellegent discussion ...
    as for new members joining in the posting .. the so called intellegent long term members need to have a look at themselves .. they seem to be the ones who dont like newbies on the board ..
    im sure you will run the board as you feel fit .. which is upto you .. but dont forget its the members that make the board
    more so than who owns it ..

Well, everybody knows there's a "clique" of self-appointed intellectual posers on SGT who like to think they're "intelligent" whereas everybody else is
    "frivolous".
    They denegate what others post and pine wistfully for long departed boring old farts who had the same superiority complex as themselves.

The truth is that the very people they look down on have probably forgotten more than they themselves ever knew - having lived in the real world as opposed to some poofy ivory tower.
    No offence. :tongue3:

:occasion9:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by brithai
    " ... just because a few people might not agree with each other i dont think posts should be deleted or changed ..
    and what is wrong with the odd bitch fight ?? if a board is to be like real life then it needs to have disagreements as well as
    intellegent discussion ... dont forget its the members that make the board more so than who owns it
    ... "
    Right on brithai. Who gives a flying fuck about bitch fights (as you call them)? That's entertainment!
    Frankly, the only thing an Owner should be seriously concerned about is (possible) legal/libel issues, brought up (occasionally), which might (potentially) do damage to the Board itself (existentially). There's not much else that an Owner should worry his little head over. Unless of course the Owner is primed up for profit (monetarily) only.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand