Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Charging ipod in Thailand

Liked

Charging ipod in Thailand

I bought my first ipod at a pawn shop in the States.Had 800 songs recorded and after about 7 hours in the plane,it needed recharging.
    So I brought it to a nice thai man who tried charging it for me.He has this nifty plug in thing which can be used on any outlet.Anyway.he said the battery was no good,and you cannot wait two days to try to recharge it.I thought it was like a cell phone and you could just charge it when it went dead.
    I'm wondering if the different voltage here,what is it 220 vs. 120?,screwed things up.I used my charger with his adapter instead of a computer.Anyone familiar with this problem?

Liked: 1

Re: Charging ipod in Thailand

One reason why I don't touch Apple ... ever ... they sell some devices with batteries that can't be replaced. They will give you a new device - for a fee - but you lose your content.
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

That's a good reason not to buy them secondhand. They might have a week's life left. That could be the source of your problem.

That being said, if a physical battery replacement IS possible, someone at MBK or Pantip will be able to do it. Try the technology forum on Thaivisa. If there's a way, they'll know about it and where to do it.

Re voltages, that's highly unlikely to have caused this problem. If it was it would have killed the charger that plugged into the wall, not your device. Almost all such devices are multi-voltage. Toasters, fridges ... not so much.

To be fair to apple the reason they don't allow you to change batteries etc is to stop us or people in shop's "having a go" at changing them and then buggering them up, the battery life on a typical I/pod Iphone is quite reasonable now ( not great but reasonable) and there are a mountain of different types of chargers available for almost any circumstance you might find yourself in.

Re the losing tunes / data things etc as I'm sure you know already the whole idea of course is that you back your Iphone up to your Itunes so that you NEVER can lose your data - and even if your phone battery runs totally flat you still won't lose your data from it, so it sounds to me like your shop friend was perhaps more just trying to sell you a new ipod perhaps ? :-)

Re the actual charging question ( and I'm not sure about this as I know bugger all about electrics ) but someone told me that there IS a difference in the speed / length of time some chargers take to charge depending on their size and I know for instance that a car cigarette charger will take much longer than a normal mains charger due to the current or something, I know I have a very small mains pocket charger that I use when traveling through airports etc and it certainly does take a bit longer than the standard charger that I use at home (or at least in my head it seems to anyway!) but from my experience a typical charge for my ipod can take maybe 2-3 hours or so depending on if it was totally drained or not.

I see you're talking about your Ipod here but just in case it's off any use to anyone else if they are using their Iphone and if so have maybe loaded it with IS5 ( the latest operating system) as if so it might be useful to do and "update" as there was small a battery life issue on it when it first came out ( due to some apps running unnecessarily in the background) but that was all sorted and there's a patch out to cure that now, I'm using away at it and its fine.

Liked

What model ipod ? The apple chargers are universal power shouldnt matter(you can get the clip on bit with prongs for asia), the power range is written on them. Try plugging it into another usb charger or computer depend on model they can take 15 to 30 seconds to wake up after you plugged them in and display the charging symbol.

Liked

It's a six generation ,I think.Has a camera on it too.It's nice and small,amazing really how it all fits in there.
    Im', gonna try one more time with someone else.I don't think the thai guy was trying to sell me anything,he really wanted to help me.