FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    Beachie hasn't posted a reply yet.
    Be assured he is around, maybe he is having a rest.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sorry, Joe... I missed replying earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by paulo15
    Cambodian roads are dangerous, some taxis drive at ridiculous speeds and couple that with the odd wandering animal, errant moto riders, etc it can be a dangerous mix. The thinking is that the bigger the vehicle you're in, the safer you are because big wins, small loses. Of course the endless loud kayoke music on the bus might drive you to suicide first, but that's by the by. Tbh, I think taxis are fine as long as; a) you don't drive at night and b) the guy doesn't look or smell drunk.
    Cool... Thanks. I'm thinking the best bet would be to get the hotel to organise a taxi... That way you have some certainty of service standards and not some unpredictable random.

Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheBarbarian
    Yeah, cleanliness doesn't cost very much, not sure why the owner is suggesting that cleanliness alone should account for his price premium.
    Yes... hundreds of other tourist standard restaurants in Cambodia don't have an issue with cleanliness.

Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheBarbarian
    I know preparing western food is probably more expensive - if he had said something like "western food is our speciality and it is more expensive to prepare" I would have had more sympathy with him.

But claiming that if people eat the Khmer food outside the walls of his resort it will make you sick strikes me as a slightly melodramatic way to encourage people to eat in his establishment.
    I agree... it was completely unnecessary to put down the local cuisine and badmouth every other restaurant and hotel serving this to tourists. Something like "our customers prefer Western food" (or one of the other standard customer service objection-handling lines) would've been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers
    Beachlover i presume you own a business in Cambodia?
    No... I don't think anyone else commenting on this thread does either.

Our pool is the only pool in Sihanoukville with a 6x4 metre waterfall, 6 metre Jacuzzi & 24 carat gold logo.
    I'm sure it is... no one else is going to have the exact specs as your pool.

I didn't say your pool was terrible. I just said it didn't seem like there was anything to "wow" about to the OP. Proportionate response.

Our food is the best in Sihanoukville, ask our guests that have tried it. Our drinks are all original brand drinks & not copies as in many places in Cambodia & Thailand.
    I didn't dispute that your food is good. No reason to suspect wouldn't be. I just commented that it seems more expensive than other good places I've eaten and stayed at in PP and SR.

So you're claiming "many places in Cambodia & Thailand" serve "copies" and not original brand drinks. Are you telling us this practice is wide spread in Cambodia AND Thailand and that all tourists should be wary of this in BOTH countries?

That's a bold claim to make. I've never knowingly been served "copies" in Cambodia or Thailand and don't think there's any reason to worry about this in reputable joints. The cocktails I had in Cambodia were fantastic.

Yes correct we don't have Khmer food, i have been a Chef for over 30 years & Khmer food is the most unhealthy food i have ever seen, prepared in dirty kitchens by untrained staff, here we have the cleanest kitchen in Cambodia "you are welcome to look" many tourists get sick, this is because of the local food "not all, just 85%" here at Cheers that doesn't happen. Here we have clean glasses to drink from, iced glasses for beers & cocktails of European standard.
    I commented that it's disappointing to see a hotel not serving Cambodian food and you come back putting down the cuisine of the country you've chosen to open a business in?

Are you telling all tourists they should NOT eat any of the local cuisine anywhere? You're also implying that anywhere Cambodian food is prepared, the kitchens are dirty and the staff are untrained. That's a terrible statement to make.

I ate Cambodian food 80% of the time I was in Cambodia, found it delicious and had no adverse health issues. Of the several close friends and family I know who traveled to Cambodia, none of them had any stomach problems either. In fact, I tell everyone the local cuisine is fantastic and definitely one of the reasons to travel to Cambodia.

You may be proud of your business and the standards you claim to uphold but coming out and...

1. Putting down the local cuisine and warning tourists from the food that every other hotel I've seen in Cambodia serves,

2. Claiming that drinking establishments in Thailand/Cambodia aren't trustworthy, and

3. Asserting every restaurant kitchen in Cambodia is dirty and staffed by untrained team members

... in what could be an attempt to draw customers to your establishment by scaring tourists from everywhere else is sleazy and bad form as a business owner.

You might want to re-read your comments.

As I said, I hope you and other hotels in Sihanoukville succeed and wish you all the best but making inaccurate comments about Cambodia's (and Thailand's!) bar standards, cuisine and restaurant kitchen standards isn't a good move.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

There you go, he had a rest and then told you everything here there and everywhere.

With only 14 posts/replies for today. A bit of a slow one.

Good Old Beachy.

Liked

Maybe he's on holidays somewhere in SE Asia, so has lots of time to post?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Was in bed with a stomach bug!

All these spectators commenting on my posting patterns... it amuses me. :happy7:

Liked

Eat more fruit...
    :sign5:

Liked

My brother has lived in Snooky for a couple of years, but my one visit wouldn't encourage me to return. But I could live in PP.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have requested you not attack places where you have not been and say that you "hearrd". It also is unfair for you to demand answers from the same poster who last logged on on Jan25th and you posted your accusatory commentys on Feb 25th I believe it was. Your accusation of him not replying to your questions when you have not even been there are outrageous in that he has not even logged on to defend himself Now, please only post to places you have beenj
    Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    My brother has lived in Snooky for a couple of years, but my one visit wouldn't encourage me to return. But I could live in PP.
    Phnom Penh was fun to visit stay for a week and I could live there short-term if there was a reason to do so but I wouldn't choose to live there for months or years... to small and undeveloped and lacking in good amenities.