Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

Liked

Re: Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

Thanks to the member that gave me a link to the man in seat 61, which I thought was only trains. Scroll down for details of the bus Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville.

http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm#Phno ... lle_by_bus

There is a ton of valauble info ffor all travellers to cambodia.

further down the page was this piece of interesting news

Train service to be revived by 2013?

But Cambodian & foreign backers plan to bring back Cambodia's railways from the dead. A company called Toll Royal Railway (www.tollroyalrailway.com) has been given a 30 year concession to repair and operate the railway, and by 2013 it's planned to reopen both the Southern Line from Phnom Penh to Kampot & Sihanoukville (254 km) and the Northern Line from Phnom Penh to Battambang, Sisophon & Poiphet on the Thai border (388 km). Indeed, I have witnessed the new ballast and sleepers being laid between Sisophon and Poipet myself, in late 2011. It could mean passenger trains linking Bangkok & Phnom Penh once more, after decades! One freight service is already back up & running, and the rehabilitation of Phnom Penh's historic main station is already under way.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Hi i'm Les the Owner of Cheers Cambodia, just like to reply to these posts.

First of all thank you lonelywombat

Beachlover i presume you own a business in Cambodia?
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlover
    It looks like a fairly low-budget guesthouse with poor design and an attempt at some nice facilities like the pool etc.
    Have you been here? We have guests here that have booked into the local "so called" 5* hotels and they all say our rooms are better. Our pool is the only pool in Sihanoukville with a 6x4 metre waterfall, 6 metre Jacuzzi & 24 carat gold logo.
    I notice their restaurant food and drink prices are around 50% more expensive than what you find in most mid-market hotels and restaurants in Siem Reap. Cocktails and wines which are $2.50 in Siem Reap become $3.50 at this place
    Our food is the best in Sihanoukville, ask our guests that have tried it. Our drinks are all original brand drinks & not copies as in many places in Cambodia & Thailand. I want guests that appreciate quality not quantity.
    Hmmm... first thing I notice is the food menu only has Western food. Not a single Cambodian dish, which is poor taste and quite disappointing. Not even the basics like Amok and Beef Lok Lak are there.
    Yes correct we don't have Khmer food, i have been a Chef for over 30 years & Khmer food is the most unhealthy food i have ever seen, prepared in dirty kitchens by untrained staff, here we have the cleanest kitchen in Cambodia "you are welcome to look" many tourists get sick, this is because of the local food "not all, just 85%" here at Cheers that doesn't happen. Here we have clean glasses to drink from, iced glasses for beers & cocktails of European standard.

To get to know us better come & try us, also see our website
    http://www.cheers-cambodia.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hello Les and I would like to thank you on behalf of all of our members and myself for coming on board and correcting what was said about your fine place. I would like to ask as many people as possible to write actual experiences and not what they see in pictures and online and "think" of what a place may be like. Gives a person a bad name and I am sure we would like to hear more from people who have had actual experiences.

Liked

Thanks for the link to the new flight M,W,F from Siam reap to Sihanoukville and the cheap rate. 70 minutes makes it far more interesting.

http://www.cambodiaangkorair.com/en/home.aspx
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Thanks for the link to the new flight M,W,F from Siam reap to Sihanoukville and the cheap rate. 70 minutes makes it far more interesting.

http://www.cambodiaangkorair.com/en/home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    Except the whole site is under construction. Not sure the planes are flying yet.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose

Except the whole site is under construction. Not sure the planes are flying yet.
    They really are flying, started on the 14th December and although you cannot book online at the moment, they are saying that by 14th Feb you will be able to

Cheers

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    I thought I remembered a ferry that went from Thailand to Sihanoukville. Anyone know about this?
    installed looooooong ago-as any uptodate travellerfora also notes. There is now a bus via a good road-but of course as always change at border. The ferry also did not come from TH-but from very close to TH/KH border.
    best info for all TH-KH borders and transpo both sides; talesofasia.com
    IF doing a circle-easy to bus it from SIH-via that border-Trat into BKK or PTY. Khmer airlines have a nasty habit of folding down in a few monthes after start-there simply is not enough demand for domestic travel.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers
    Yes correct we don't have Khmer food, i have been a Chef for over 30 years & Khmer food is the most unhealthy food i have ever seen, prepared in dirty kitchens by untrained staff, here we have the cleanest kitchen in Cambodia "you are welcome to look" many tourists get sick, this is because of the local food
    http://www.cheers-cambodia.com
    I expect that if you used your skills and sense of hygiene you might even be able to make Khmer food palatable. Heaven knows how the Cambodians have managed not to poison themselves into oblivion with their unhealthy food over the centuries.

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Yeah, cleanliness doen't cost very much, not sure why the owner is suggesting that cleanliness alone should account for his price premium.

I know preparing western food is probably more expensive - if he had said something like "western food is our speciality and it is more expensive to prepare" I would have had more sympathy with him.

But claiming that if people eat the Khmer food outside the walls of his resort it will make you sick strikes me as a slightly melodramatic way to encourage people to eat in his establishment.

Liked

Strange that Beachie hasn't posted a reply to the owner's comments yet. Perhaps he's been spending too much time in Pattaya!
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.