Guys, about the flights...

I went in 2010 so this info may be out of date.

- The only airline allowed to fly between BKK and Siam Reap was Bangkok Airways. They were quite expensive.

- Between Phnom Penh and Bangkok you can fly AirAsia (around 2,000 baht) or Bangkok Airways where I paid USD$100

- Between Bangkok and Phnom Penh you can fly AirAsia and Bangkok Airways. AirAsia was around 2,000 baht and for Bangkok Airways, I paid 4000-4,500 baht/USD$100 (no choice as I missed my AirAsia flight).

- Between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh you can fly Cambodian Angkor Air, a relatively new airline joint venture between the Cambodian government and Vietnam Airlines. I think I paid USD$100 for this which was fairly expensive for a 30-min flight. Are these guys still operating? I recall the booking had to be made on the Vietnam Airlines website online booking system. There are other options for traveling between these two cities. Most people don't fly. But it is very convenient because with flying you can be going from hotel door to door within two hours including waiting and transit time!

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
Here is a link to the menu page. It is in US$ and I dont think it unreasonable or overpriced, in fact it is another plus for the place.
Hmmm... first thing I notice is the food menu only has Western food. Not a single Cambodian dish, which is poor taste and quite disappointing. Not even the basics like Amok and Beef Lok Lak are there.

Every restaurant I came across in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, even the ones serving Western food, had Cambodian dishes.

I can say for sure the drink prices aren't competitive... I spent two weeks in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and recall drink prices in all kinds of places from boutique cocktail bars to mid-market hotels, mid-market restaurants, high-end bar lounges and cheap backpacker joints.

- House wine in most joints is around $2.50 ($3.50 at Cheers).
- Beer is under $1 ($1.75 at Cheers).
- Cocktails are $2.50 to $4 at most ($4.50 to $5 at Cheers).

Why is Cheers 50% more expensive than most other tourist-oriented bars? Is there something special about the bar? Is it because of the moneyboys and show they offer? Linga Bar and Blue Chilli had one or both and their drink prices weren't higher. :dontknow:

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see more hotels and resorts in this little town and would love to see this place do well. But just don't see what there is to "wow" about this place. There are nicer and better-equipped hotels and resorts in Sihanoukville at this and higher price range.

Quote Originally Posted by paulo15
Just on that transport question the only options from Phnom Penh are bus or taxi. The best bus used to be Mekong Express but they stopped last year, so now you have three companies, Paramount, Capitol and Soriya. Paramount are pretty awful, Capitol a bit better and Soriya the best bus option, trip is 4-5 hours but breakdowns are not uncommon. A private taxi takes 3-4 hours, costs $45-50 and is probably the better option.
I was planning to grab a taxi from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville. A Cambodian in another country was worried when I told her this and advised I should get a reputable bus. She said taxis can be dangerous there. Anyone know what she's talking about? Do taxis often rob people? Do they drive more dangerously? Anyone advise against getting your own taxi?