Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twelve months of study of Thai language тАУ A success story

Liked

Twelve months of study of Thai language тАУ A success story

Twelve months of study of Thai language тАУ A success story

I didn't post my report after six months of study on this board, here it is:

Six months of study of Thai language тАУ A success story

I read reports by people who have been trying to learn Thai for years, there are even people who live in Thailand and donтАЩt make an effort, therefore here my story to share my experiences and to encourage others.

Books, websites and Thai Language School mentioned here do not present recommendations, as I donтАЩt have a profund knowledge of the market. If you really want to learn Thai, it probably doesnтАЩt make much difference which book or course you use. (The only thing to avoid is romanization.)

On 01.12.2010 I arrived in Thailand with about zero knowledge of the Thai language (I knew from previous holidays that тАЬSawatdeeтАЭ means hello and тАЬbaanтАЭ is house). Now I can read and write (and to a lesser extent speak and listen) basic Thai.

Courses I attended (all at Thai Language Solutions Phaya Thai branch, no ED-visa):

Speaking and Listening 1: 50 h 6500 Baht + Text books 2*500 Baht
    From begin of December to mid-January, 3 h/day 5 days/week.
    (This course uses romanization, but there was no reading and writing course starting in begin of December and I wanted to start immediately. Later it turned out that it was quite useless, as I learn visuel and different systems of romanization are just confusing.)

Reading and Writing 1: 8 h 1200 Baht (out of a 50 h course for 7500 Baht, then switched to intensive) Mid-December to mid-January 3 h/day 2 days/week.

Intensive Reading 20 h private tuition 8000 Baht
    Mid-January to mid-February, flexible
    It turned out that private tuition is better than studying in a class: the higher costst are easily compensated as you have the teacherтАЩs full attention and you only hear Thai from a native speaker.

During my hibernation in Thailand (11 weeks from December to February) I had the chance to practise my Thai with my Thai friends and to get help from them. On the other hand, 78 h of classes in 11 weeks might look meagre, but this was a holiday and I used it to <del>sleep</del> travel around in Thailand and Laos.

In March, back in Europe, the real work started: learning words and reading and listening, on average 2h per day, every day. I use flashcards to translate words in both directions and read English sentences and their Thai translation textbooks, then cover the sentence and try to write it down in Thai. (and soon only read the English sentence and try to write it down in Thai). And listen to audiofiles of Thai Basic reader and reading the Thai script, translating unknown words, and finally listen without reading until I understand. With flashcards, I learned the entire vocabulary (720 words) of тАЬThai for beginnersтАЭ, and this enables me to understand half of general Thai texts (written by Thais for Thais). An amazing achievement! I can touch-type Thai as well (I printed out a Thai keyboard and looked at the printout while typing words for the flashcards).

Literature I use:

Poomsan Becker:Thai for Beginners (book only 299 Baht)

Tiger Press Thai Phrasebook with Tones (195 Baht) + CD (95 Baht) (not available in every bookshop, I bought it in Khao San road after having a look through a copy and seeing some things I liked, especially literal translation together with translation by sense)

Lanna Innovation Thai Consonant and Vowel Cards (250 Baht each)

David Smyth Thai an Essential Grammar (pdf free)

http://www.intermediate-thai.org (free, which I consider rather beginners level)

http://siamwestdc.com/thaireader-UH/index.htm Thai Basic Reader (free, which I consider intermediate, this suits my requiremets almost perfect, speed of speech a bit slower would be nice)

Stuart Campbell and Chuan Shaweevongs THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE THAI LANGUAGE (Fifth Edition) (free in internet, I agree with others who said that is is an excellent book)

Working with different sources is very important for me: When I read something in book B and remember that I read in book A before the effect for learning is much bigger than reading it twice in book A.

Let me draw some paralles between Thai and French (maybe these are far fetched, if you donтАЩt speak French and are not interested in grammar, just skip it) and to a lesser extent German and Russian.

Thai demonstrative adjectives and demonstrative pronouns come in different forms:
    demonstrative adjective: р╕Щр╕╡р╣Й р╕Щр╕▒р╣Йр╕Щ р╣Вр╕Щр╣Йр╕Щ
    demonstrative pronound: р╕Щр╕╡р╣И р╕Щр╕▒р╣Ир╕Щ р╣Вр╕Щр╣Ир╕Щ

the same is true for some French possessive adjectives and pronouns:
    possessive adjective: notre, votre
    possessive pronoun: le n├┤tre, le v├┤tre

If you need a mnemonic: the French pronouns have a circonflex, which is used in romanisations to indicate the falling tone in the Thai pronouns.

There are endings in many French words (especially masculine or feminine singular and plural past participles and adjectives: ├й, ├йe, ├йs, ├йes) that are written in different ways but pronounced the same, similar to Thai words where an ending in N or T can be represented by different vowels, or even worse an ending vowel with a gaaran. And I often donтАЩt know if a French adverb ends in тАУammant, -emmant or тАУ ├йment, because it all sounds the same to me (maybe a native speaker pronounces differently and hears which ending is correct), whereas I often have problems to decide which S to use: sua, rusi, sala. Similar the Russian prefixes ╨▒╨╡╨╖ and ╨▒╨╡╤Б (maybe again problem only due to my wrong unclear pronunciation of hard and soft S).

Early during my studies of French language I notices that many internationally used abbreviations have the order of letters inversed or partially inversed (NATO тАУ OTAN, UNO тАУ ONU, AIDS тАУ SIDA, VAT value added tax тАУ TAV taxe ├а la valeur ajout├йe, NMR nuclear magnetic resonance тАУ RMN r├йsonnance magn├йtique nucl├йaire, HIV - VIH) and later I read that French is postmodifying, i.e. (most) adjectives follow the noun, same as in Thai!

The pronunciation of voiced consonant like their voiceless counterpart at the end of a word appears in German and Russian as well. Amazingly, this even affects the same consonants: the pairs G -> K, B -> P, D -> T (romanized for Thai and Russian). When we say in German тАЬGuten TagтАЭ, the first G sounds like G, the final G sounds like K.

My breakthrough with tones came when I read that high class consonants are all those who are pronounced with rising tone. If itтАЩs rising tone, itтАЩs a high class consonant. If itтАЩs a high class consonant, itтАЩs rising tone. This sounds like a bootstrap, and it is. But it reinforces class of consonant and tone. Starting from high class + long vowel = rising tone we can extend to live syllable (as it makes no difference for the phonetics if there is long vowel or a voiced consonant), and the rest quickly falls into place.

IтАЩm not an expert of neither French, nor grammar, nor Thai, nor do I know which is the best book or language school. I can just tell you that the approach described above works for me (self-assessment, we will see on my next holiday how I far I can really get). If you find a mistake or disagree on certain points, let me know.

Problems that remain: use of classifiers, different fonts, word order, dictionary order, unwritten vowels in unknown words. The absence of gaps between the words does not pose a problem. So far, learning Thai (once I got used to the alphabet and the tones) is considerably easier than French or Russian.

I remember a sign in a couldnтАЩt read as it was in a font not used , and weeks later I came across the same place and I suddenly understood. Or the optician chain Charoen: I couldnтАЩt make any sense of the Thai letters, until I learned that there can be unwritten тАЬaтАЭ sounds and the тАЬoeтАЭ sound is wrapped around тАЬchтАЭ and тАЬrтАЭ and the unwritten тАЬaтАЭ.

I rember that I asked Thai friends to tell me the names of letters I didnтАЩt know at that thime or didnтАЩt remember in January. I remember how I sat in classes reading slowly in February: first determining which sound a letter makes and then calculating the tone. I did this backwards: live or dead syllable from the end consonant, tone mark or short or long vowel, class of initial consonant. It was exhausting! I almost had headache after doing so for half an hour. Now I do it forwards with not much difficulty.
    For my report after six months, see quote above.

Kudos to a Farang friend who told me that bp is pronounced like the French P in Paris and dt like the French t in table.

Some problems that remain: use of classifiers and particles, reading different fonts (itтАЩs getting better), word order.

Now I study Thai about 1 hour per day. In the beginning it was a bit more, so I guess in the twelve months I spent about 500 hours learning Thai.

I currently know between 1000 and 1500 Thai words, letтАЩs say 1200, which means I can learn 100 words per month, which is comparable to English, French and Russian (I increased my vocabulary in these languages with flashcards over the last three years). Interpolating these results, I think I can become fluent in Thai in 10-20 years if I continue studying in Europe with two holidays per year in Thailand, two weeks each. If I were living in Thailand, I think it would take 2-5 years to become fluent.

Here some picture to show my progress:

My very first Thai lesson (I started with transcription and quickly switched to Thai):

Now reading Thai Basic Reader (www.siamwestd.com) and listening to the audio files and writing translations for unknown words in the margin or a sign that they are in the vocabulary section for that lesson or that they are in a previous lesson (but I didnтАЩt remember the word, but when I looked it up I knew I came across it before). This page is the beginning of the series, now there are far fewer notes on my pages.

My Thai handwriting. I have a stack of about 2000 flashcards, I translate from English to Thai and write down the Thai word. Upper sheet clean handwriting, lower sheet fast writing.

IтАЩm reading AesopтАЩs fables in English and Thai. When I read the English first I undestand about 80% of the Thai text, but when I read Thai I understand about 50% which is usually not enough to get the message.

Here an arbitrary extract from a chat with a Thai man on camfrog in October. (Technically, this could be considered to be a breach of privacy, but it contains no private information and serves educational purposes.) I can touch type Thai, but have a printout of the Thai keyboard so I can look up rarer letters.

christianpfc (00:33:53) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕нр╕вр╕╣р╣ р╕Чр╕╡р╣Ир╣Др╕лр╕Щ
    Thai friend (00:35:41) : р╕Ър╕▓р╕Зр╕Бр╕нр╕Б
    christianpfc (00:36:02) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:39:26) : р╕Чр╕│р╕нр╕░р╣Др╕гр╕ р╕▒р╕Ъ
    christianpfc (00:39:49) : р╕лр╣Йр╕нр╕Зр╕нр╕╖р╣И р╕Щ
    Thai friend (00:40:02) : р╕лр╣Йр╕нр╕Зр╣Др╕лр╕Щ
    christianpfc (00:40:58) : GAY_BAD_BOYi
    Thai friend (00:43:30) : р╣Др╕Ыр╣Др╕лр╕Щр╣Бр╕е ╣Йр╕з
    christianpfc (00:44:35) : р╕Хр╕нр╕Щр╕Щр╕╡р╣Й
    Thai friend (00:45:20) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕бр╕╡р╣Бр╕ р╕Щр╕лр╕гр╕╖р╕нр╕вр╕ р╕З
    christianpfc (00:45:35) : р╣Др╕бр╣Ир╕бр╕╡р╣Бр╕Я р╕Щ
    Thai friend (00:45:55) : р╕нр╕▓р╕вр╕╕р╣Ар╕Чр╣ р╕▓р╣Др╕лр╕гр╣И
    christianpfc (00:46:07) : 31
    Thai friend (00:46:40) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕Кр╕нр╕Ър╕Ь р╕бр╣Др╕лр╕б
    christianpfc (00:47:00) : р╕Кр╕нр╕Ър╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:47:14) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╣Ар╕Вр╕╡р╕ р╕Щр╕ар╕▓р╕йр╕▓р╣Др╕ Чр╕вр╣Др╕Фр╣Йр╣Др╕лр╕
    christianpfc (00:47:24) : р╣Др╕Фр╣Й
    christianpfc (00:47:38) : р╣Ар╕гр╕╡р╕вр╕Щр╕ар╕ р╕йр╕▓р╣Др╕Чр╕вр╕Чр╕ р╣Ир╕Бр╕гр╕╕р╕Зр╣Ар╕ Чр╕Ю
    Thai friend (00:47:59) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕нр╣Ир╕▓р╕ р╕ар╕▓р╕йр╕▓р╣Др╕Чр╕ вр╕нр╕нр╕Бр╣Др╕лр╕бр╕ р╕╡р╕▒р╕Ъ
    christianpfc (00:48:25) : р╣Др╕Фр╣Й
    Thai friend (00:48:41) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕Юр╕╣р╕Фр╕ р╕▓р╕йр╕▓р╣Др╕Чр╕вр╣ Др╕Фр╣Йр╣Др╕лр╕бр╕Др╕ р╕Ъ
    christianpfc (00:48:57) : р╕Юр╕╣р╕Фр╣Др╕Фр╣Й
    Thai friend (00:48:59) : р╕Юр╕╣р╕Фр╕Кр╕▒р╕Фр╣ р╕лр╕бр╕Др╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:49:44) : р╣Ар╕Бр╣Ир╕Зр╕Ир╕▒р╕З р╕нр╣Ир╕░
    Thai friend (00:49:54) : р╕бр╕╡р╣Ар╕Ыр╕┤р╕Фр╕ р╕Щр╕▒р╕Зр╕кр╕╖р╕нр╕ Фр╣Йр╕зр╕вр╕вр╕в
    Thai friend (00:50:07) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╣Ар╕Бр╣Ир╕З р╕бр╕▓р╕Бр╕Бр╕Бр╕Б
    Thai friend (00:50:22) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕Кр╕нр╕Ър╕Ч р╕╡р╣Ир╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╣Ар╕ р╣Ир╕Зр╣Ж
    christianpfc (00:50:30) : р╕Юр╕Ир╕Щр╕╕р╕Бр╕гр╕б
    Thai friend (00:50:38) : р╣Гр╕Кр╣И
    Thai friend (00:50:55) : р╕Чр╕╡р╣Ир╣Ар╕гр╕╡р╕ р╕Бр╕зр╣Ир╕▓ р╕Фр╕┤р╕Бр╕Кр╕▒р╕Щр╕ р╕▓р╕гр╕╡ р╣Гр╕Кр╣Ир╣Др╕лр╕бр╕Д ╕▒р╕Ъ
    christianpfc (00:51:22) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:51:46) : р╕Хр╕нр╕Щр╕Щр╕╡р╣Йр╕Ч р╕╡р╣Ир╕Эр╕гр╕▒р╣Ир╕ р╣Ар╕ир╕кр╣Ар╕Ыр╣Зр╕Щ р╣Ар╕зр╕ер╕▓р╣Ар╕Чр╣И р╕▓р╣Др╕лр╕гр╣Ир╕Др╕ р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:52:36) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕Др╕╕р╕вр╕ р╕▒р╕Ър╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╣Др╕ лр╕б
    christianpfc (00:52:42) : 00:52
    christianpfc (00:53:00) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:53:22) : р╕Хр╣Ир╕▓р╕Зр╕Бр╕▒р╕ р╕Ыр╕гр╕░р╣Ар╕Чр╕ир╣ р╕Чр╕в р╕гр╕▓р╕з 6 р╕Кр╕▒р╣Ир╕зр╣Вр╕бр╕З
    Thai friend (00:53:57) : р╕Хр╕нр╕Щр╕Щр╕╡р╣Йр╕Ч р╕╡р╣Ир╣Ар╕бр╕╖р╕нр╕ р╣Др╕Чр╕в 6.00 р╕Щ.
    christianpfc (00:54:17) : р╣Ар╕Вр╣Йр╕▓р╣Гр╕И
    Thai friend (00:54:33) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕бр╕╡р╕нр╕ р╣Др╕гр╕Ир╕░р╕Др╕╕р вр╕Бр╕▒р╕Ър╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр Др╕лр╕б
    Thai friend (00:54:50) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕нр╕вр╕▓р╕ р╕Др╕╕р╕вр╕Бр╕▒р╕Ър╕ Др╕╕р╕Ур╕бр╕▓р╕Б
    christianpfc (00:54:58) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    christianpfc (00:55:19) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕Кр╕нр╕Ър╣А р╕лр╣Зр╕Щр╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕Д р╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:55:33) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╣Др╕бр╣Ир╕л р╕ер╣Ир╕нр╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з
    Thai friend (00:55:41) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕лр╕ер╣Ир╕н р╕Бр╕зр╣Ир╕▓р╕бр╕▓р╕
    christianpfc (00:55:55) : р╕Вр╕нр╕Ър╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕Д р╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:56:01) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕вр╕┤р╣Йр╕ р╕лр╕Щр╣Ир╕нр╕вр╕кр╕
    Thai friend (00:56:23) : р╕лр╕ер╣Ир╕нр╕бр╕▓р╕Б р╕Бр╕Б
    Thai friend (00:56:42) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕Хр╕▓р╕кр╕ р╕Яр╣Йр╕▓р╣Ар╕лр╕бр╕ ╖р╕нр╕Щр╕Щр╣Йр╕│р╕Чр ░р╣Ар╕е
    christianpfc (00:57:49) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕Хр╕▓р╕кр╕ р╕Щр╣Йр╕│р╕Хр╕▓р╕е
    Thai friend (00:58:10) : р╣Ар╕гр╕▓р╕нр╕нр╕Бр╕И р╕▓р╕Бр╕лр╣Йр╕нр╕З р╕бр╕▓р╕Др╕╕р╕вр╕Бр╕ р╕Щр╕кр╕нр╕Зр╕Др╕Щр╕ р╕╡р╣Др╕лр╕б
    Thai friend (00:58:18) : р╕Ир╕░р╣Др╕Фр╣Йр╣Др╕б р╣Ир╕бр╕╡р╣Гр╕Др╕гр╕Ъ р╕Бр╕зр╕Щ
    christianpfc (00:58:48) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (00:59:18) : р╕нр╕нр╕Бр╣Др╕лр╕б
    Thai friend (00:59:26) : р╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕зр╣Ар╕Ыр╕┤ р╕Фр╕Бр╕ер╣Йр╕нр╕Зр╕Б ╕▒р╕Щ
    Thai friend (01:00:11) : р╕нр╕нр╕Бр╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з ╕Щр╕░
    christianpfc (01:00:23) : р╕нр╕нр╕Б
    Thai friend (01:00:30) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (01:00:33) : р╕бр╕▓р╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з
    Thai friend (01:01:16) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕бр╕╡р╣Ар╕ р╕╖р╣Ир╕нр╕Зр╕нр╕вр╕ р╕Бр╕Юр╕╣р╕Фр╕Др╕╕р вр╕Бр╕▒р╕Ър╣Ар╕Шр╕нр Ар╕вр╕нр╕░р╣Бр╕вр╕░ р╕бр╕▓р╕Бр╕бр╕▓р╕вр╣ р╕ер╕вр╕ер╣Ир╕░
    christianpfc (01:01:45) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ
    Thai friend (01:02:16) : р╕Др╕╕р╕Ур╕нр╕вр╕╣р╣ р╣Ар╕бр╕╖р╕нр╕Зр╕нр╕ р╣Др╕гр╣Гр╕Щр╕Ыр╕гр╕ р╣Ар╕Чр╕ир╕Эр╕гр╕▒р╣ Ир╕Зр╣Ар╕ир╕к
    christianpfc (01:02:53) : р╣Др╕Бр╕ер╣Йр╣Ар╕бр╕╖ р╕нр╕Зр╕Ыр╕▓р╕гр╕╖р╕
    Thai friend (01:03:21) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕гр╕╣р╣Йр╕ р╕▒р╕Бр╕Ыр╕▓р╕гр╕╡р к
    Thai friend (01:03:39) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╣Ар╕Др╕вр╕Ф р╕╣р╣Гр╕Щр╕ар╕▓р╕Юр╕ р╕Щр╕Хр╕гр╣М
    Thai friend (01:03:48) : р╕Чр╕╡р╣Ир╕бр╕╡р╕лр╕ р╣Др╕нр╣Ар╕Яр╕е
    christianpfc (01:04:11) : р╕Др╕гр╕▒р╕Ъ р╕лр╕н р╣Др╕нр╣Ар╕Яр╕е
    christianpfc (01:04:38) : р╕лр╕н р╣Др╕нр╣Ар╕Яр╕е р╕кр╕╣р╕Зр╕бр╕▓р╕Б
    Thai friend (01:04:47) : р╕Йр╕▒р╕Щр╕Кр╕нр╕Ър╕Э р╕гр╕▒р╣Ир╕Зр╣Ар╕ир╕к
    I can understand about 90% of what my Thai friends write, and give the appropriate answer to about 50%. Sometimes I have to consult a dictionary (online or paper). Some of my Thai friends have serious problems with orthography, but I can guess the correct word in most cases.

Liked

Re: Twelve months of study of Thai language тАУ A success stor

This is great! Thanks much for doing this post and sharing your experiences. If you are unaware of it you might want to check into the "Learn Thai Podcast" (website). They also have many free lessons on youtube. Where are you finding these English/Thai books like Aesop's Fables?

Liked

Congrats, and seems like you've come a long ways!

I'm curious, what's your spoken Thai like? That's where I have the biggest problem, and should probably quit being so lazy, and grab myself a teacher one of these days. I know loads of words, but many people can't understand me worth a shit. If they know me, they can understand what I'm saying, because they know to be lenient with my pronunciation. If it's just a regular person on the street though, it's a 50/50 thing. They'll catch some words I'm saying, but definitely not all.

For example, р╕Х just like you mentioned in a headache for me. Nobody understands me when I try to say sugar (р╕Щр╣Йр╕│р╕Хр╕▓р╕е -- nam-dtaan) for example. For whatever reason, I just can't say it right, and just get deer-in-the-headlight stares.

Liked

re Aesop's fables, let me recylce a reply I gave to the same subject on thaivisa:

The Aesop fables was a random purchase in a shopping centre. They have these mobile stalls that sell stuff in the aisles (or waiting areas in Hua Lampong railway station or Ekkamai bus station). The trick is to find a book for children, that is densely packed with stories (47 in my book), because I don't want to pay for pictures and a fancy cover.

Long ago, I opened a thread asking where I can find such books, but obviously you have to keep your eyes open and be lucky. I saw two volumes with 50 fables each in January in Ekkamai Busstation, but missed to buy them. In June, I had to settle down for the book with 47 stories (see picture above). In all bookshops I checked, they only had editions that contained too many pictures, too fancy covers and too little stories for my taste.
    re spoken Thai: It's so-so. My reading and writing is much better. When in Thailand, I have to make an effort to communicate in Thai with friends who speak decent English, in order to improve my Thai.

Actually, my problem is not my spoken Thai (that's the problem of the Thai I'm speaking to), but listening and understanding.

But the advantage is, you don't need to know how a word is written (I have some problems because a final N or T sound can be represented in many ways, and those letters that are muted by Gaaran!) to pronounce it. Some time, I will need some lessons in pronunciation (everything else I can study alone) by a Thai who is experienced in teaching tones and vowel lenghts to foreigners.

Do the boys come cheaper because you can speak the lingo? If so whats the discount on the going rate?

Hi,

Many of your posts I don't agree with but I am impressed by your efforts and determination into improving your knowledge of Thai. I think you should be proud of yourself and I salute you for sticking it out...... :salute:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    Actually, my problem is not my spoken Thai (that's the problem of the Thai I'm speaking to), but listening and understanding.
    Comprehension of spoken Thai is my main difficulty too. I've been studying the language for most of the six-plus years that I've been living full-time in Thailand and have made reasonable progress in all other areas, but my comprehension skills are still weak. I'll often speak to a newly-met Thai in Thai and he, impressed, will fire back a volley of Thai which leaves me gaping in ignorance of what he has just said. He will usually then revert to English. Kind of embarrassing. Thais who know me well speak at a speed which they know I can follow. Recently I've been watching Thai TV for twenty minutes a day to try to improve matters. On news programmes they speak clearly and I get lots of individual words but still struggle with the overall meaning. Anyway, congratulations on your own efforts - remarkable progress in a short time. From your excellent command of English I presume you have a gift for foreign languages. With me it's slog, slog, slog all the way.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    Do the boys come cheaper because you can speak the lingo? If so whats the discount on the going rate?
    I got invitations on camfrog from all over Thailand, and I assume they are for free.

Did you see the movie Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, do you remember the scene where a car salesman advertises a car that is a "pussy magnet" (which leads to a prolonged conversation where the pussy magnet is located inside the car)? (I love this movie!)

o Borat: "I want to have a car that attract a woman with shave down below."
    o Car Dealership Owner: "Well that would be a Corvette. Or a Hummer."
    o Borat: "A man yesterday, tell me if I buy a car I must buy one with a pussy magnet."
    o Car Dealership Owner: "He means a car that women like."
    o Borat: "Yes, but where do you keep this magnet?"
    o Car Dealership Owner: "No. There's no magnet, he just means the vehicle. Women love the Hummers."
    o Borat: "Do this have a pussy magnet?"
    o Car Dealership Owner: "No. The vehicle itself would be a magnet."
    o Borat: "If I give you good price, will you please put in pussy magnet?"
    o Car Dealership Owner: "Yeah, but there's no--there's no such thing in this country as a, as a magnet."
    Speaking (so far mainly reading and writing) Thai (as a foreigner) seems to be a boy magnet!

I will check out the area around Saran Rom park, which is renown for Thai-for-Thai gay prostitution, and see if I can hook up there for Thai-for-Thai prices.

It would have been easier to say I dont know coz I havent tried why are you not reading thai literature in thai if you are learning to read thai dont the thais have writers like dickens and shakespeer you can read by the way how much do thai guys pay for other thai guys

Liked

I tried a beginner course but I give up too easily . Too much information to remember. :dontknow:

So instead I am teaching english to my Thai friends so they will understand me better.