Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self preservation for Old Gits

Re: asians versus the gluttons

Quote Originally Posted by dab69
    an asian friend eats and drinks twice my amount, and he's ~125 pounds always
    'And he never seems to stop eating,' right?
    I tried eating the same way: six small meals (A healthy snack(s) = 1 meal.) instead of three belly-busters. I lost...a lot of... weight & was not hungry.

A bit over simplistic, "obective". Cars are mechanincal, humans are organic.
    Indeed we are organic. Relatively complex organic mechanical machines. The very reason that scientific research into the human body is possible, is because the body operates just as a machine, and can be studied as such.

Statin drugs are to my knowledge the most popular and successful commercial drug in the USA. However, despite this, heart disease accounts for almost 50% of deaths. One would not be unreasonable to observe that the statin drug group is clearly not having any results on the high USA heart disease rates.

Surely a country that has such high popularity for heart disease treatment, should have one of the lowest levels of heart disease in the world?

Yet it appears to me that high statin use co-incides with high heart disease. Causes aside, statistically I am much more likely to die of a heart attack if I am on statins than otherwise! Statins have not been proven to extend life, they have only been proven to suppress certain liver functions. I suspect that liver function is not the cause of heart disease, but merely a measure of general health which may co-incide with heart disease risk levels.

Liked

Objective, read what you have written.

You wrote, тАЬIndeed we are organic. Relatively complex organic mechanical machines. The very reason that scientific research into the human body is possible, is because the body operates just as a machine, and can be studied as such.тАЭ

I do hate to cast aspersions objectiveтАЩ (why on earth did you chose that handle?) but you have tempted me beyond my capacity.

Look up the definition of тАЬorganicтАЭ. Look up the definition of тАЬmachineтАЬ. If your thinking as muddled as your writing it is no wonder your postings concerning HIV/AIDS were bizarre.

If you wish to be taken seriously you will do better..

Dictionary.com definition of machine #4.) An intricate natural system or organism, such as the human body.

Mirriam Webster Definition of machine 2a: A living organism or one of its functional systems

I don't tend to post about things unless I'm reasonably confident about what I'm saying. I take myself seriously, even if you don't. Please close the door on your way out.

Liked

I apologize.

:oops: Objective, the definition of machine you have cited is correct. :oops:

I, of all people, should know that words have myriad definitions. I once told a student I would kiss his butt if I were wrong. It developed that I was wrong, and I told him to come to the front of the class where I would perform the act.

While the class waited with baited breath I told him to bend over. I lightly brushed the seat of his pants with my hand. Then pointed to the umpteenth definition of kiss as "to lightly brush", as тАЬthe wind kissed the treesтАЭ.

Liked

Just thinking ...

(As my Thai guy says): Dear My Geezer,

In your opinion ~ such is the length of time you've been haunting these message boards (and I wouldn't have it any other way) ~ is there a quantitative (or qualitative for that matter!!!) difference between an OLD GIT and an OLD GEEZER?
    Or are they interchangeable?

I ask this as once I almost referred to Hedda as an old Git (can't remember why). But I stopped in my tracks when I realized "Git" sounded very much like "geezer". I thought of you and promptly changed my course.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

No worries, so long as I can 'kiss' the 6 pack of the boy in your avatar! Either definition will do!

Liked

I canтАЩt elucidate on тАЬold gitтАЭ vs. тАЬgeezerтАЭ. So far as I know the term тАЬold gitтАЭ isnтАЩt known south of the border --eh.

I appreciate beyond my ability to express, your taking care not to confuse others regarding the distinction between Geezer and Hedda.

Don't Believe Everything You Read On The Web

I love some of the "arguements" above which are totally vacuous: statins don't work because doctors are greedy! Huh? Numerous studies have shown the benefit of statins in many patient populations, usually a reduction in cardiovascular-related deaths as well as other problems (a stroke that you survive may not be so pretty!). Starting a statin immediately when you have a heart attack reduces the in-hospital mortality rate, as does taking an aspirin.

There are few guarantees in life. In medicine, there are many "odds". Sure, many people smoke without every getting lung cancer -- just the risk is markedly increased with smoking. And high LDL ("bad") cholesterol doesn't guarantee a heart attack -- but the risk is increased with increasing LDL. 1/3 of first heart attacks are fatal. And there are all the other nasty complications of cardiovascular disease: stroke, erectile dysfunction (uggg), circulatory problems.

With regard to risks, I don't worry about dying or getting injured while driving. But you can be damned sure I always fasten my seat belt, and have a car with front & side airbags.

Liked

"Git" versus "Geezer"

I believe that the origin of "git" is from "get," as in all those "begats" in the bible, and in fact refers to (probably illegitiimate) offspring. When I was younger, in fact, it was thought to mean a prostitute's bastard. "Geezer," on the other hand, is used to mean an old man, but when it first appeared in the late 1800's it simply meant a "chap" or "fellow" of any age. Posters will have to decide for themselves whether they are in facts old gits or old geezers.