Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wine bar I have seen in Asia, in Siem Reap and its gay

Liked

Best wine bar I have seen in Asia, in Siem Reap and its gay

Over 120 different labels for sale and a large number by the glass, why is something like not available in Pattaya. yes I know there is no sales tax on wine in Cambodia and in Thailand it is a prohibitive 300%

Siem Reap seemed like an extension of Sunee last week with so many faces in Pub Street and the lane. This was certainly one of the highlights of my trip to Cambodia. Wine lovers I commend this bar to you.

http://thestationwinebarsiemreap.com/

The top prices for his top of the range wines were just under $US100 and if available in Thailand would cost more than 3 times that. maybe more.

There is a small drag show now on friday as well as saturday. I am not a fan of drag but I did enjoy this. First the "boys" really enjoyed what they were doing, did not take themselves seriously and laughed with us if they tripped of misssed a step.

The owner was in the wine industry for 13 years but I doubt his qualifications after he tried to persuade me to drink some Napa chardonnay. Wine is served with free cheese and olives, a nice touch.

I wish I wish I wish there was something similar in Pattaya

Several people I have discussed this with since returning have mused--- it might be worth driving the car for a visit and to bring back a bottle or three.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: Best wine bar I have seen in Asia, in Siem Reap and its

It is a very nice bar but when I was there it was empty.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    The owner was in the wine industry for 13 years but I doubt his qualifications after he tried to persuade me to drink some Napa chardonnay.
    I wish Thailand would be more enlightened and stop the high taxes on imported wine.

But Napa/California Chardonnay is some of the finest in the world. One of the worst chardonnays I tasted was from NZ. It all depends on the particular vintner.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brisboy82
    It is a very nice bar but when I was there it was empty.

take out the bar boys in the other gay bars, and they are also empty.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    The owner was in the wine industry for 13 years but I doubt his qualifications after he tried to persuade me to drink some Napa chardonnay.
    I wish Thailand would be more enlightened and stop the high taxes on imported wine.

But Napa/California Chardonnay is some of the finest in the world. One of the worst chardonnays I tasted was from NZ. It all depends on the particular vintner.
    I wish Cambodia would be more enlightened and stop the foreign NGOs shadowing gay visitors as probable perverts in a country not their own. It is very likely that while you sipped cheaper-than-thailand wine in the gay venue in Siem Reap you were observed by the phronetic western (christian) legion now rampant there- especially if you also resided in a gay hostelry. (Though the PM has threatened to throw them all out (maybe due to chinese pressure) he has not yet delivered on the threat so great is the NGOs monetary clout).
    While you praise Cambodian gay wine bars remember that you are likely to get a long prison term if you do what we gay people do, occasionally, as a matter of course, in Thailand; pay for sex irrespective of age.
    I'll stay here in Thailand and pay a bit more for the wine thank you.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguest

I wish Cambodia would be more enlightened and stop the foreign NGOs shadowing gay visitors as probable perverts in a country not their own. It is very likely that while you sipped cheaper-than-thailand wine in the gay venue in Siem Reap you were observed by the phronetic western (christian) legion now rampant there- especially if you also resided in a gay hostelry. (Though the PM has threatened to throw them all out (maybe due to chinese pressure) he has not yet delivered on the threat so great is the NGOs monetary clout).
    I have noticed in the past comments on NGO's in the hilltribes area and now you mention Cambodia. But who are these NGO;s , what are they called., Are they religious nuts , homophobic nuts or just plain nutters. Please give us some names or links so we can check on google.

Liked

my understanding was that it was fine to pay as long as not a minor, which is a good thing I believe - I never had any issues in the barswhen I was there - has this changed? In fact I met a couple of outrageous queens from the UN in Blue Chili in PP, and again in SR - they were enjoying every moment

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Great post, Lonely... But WHY is it in the Thailand forum and why hasn't it been moved to the SE Asia forum?

Doesn't make sense to have an interesting thread like this in the already-busy Thailand forum when we're trying to get the SE Forum thriving.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Great post, Lonely... But WHY is it in the Thailand forum and why hasn't it been moved to the SE Asia forum?

Doesn't make sense to have an interesting thread like this in the already-busy Thailand forum when we're trying to get the SE Forum thriving.
    If you care to check, it is in both forums. I had suggested that Pattaya needed something like this and unless it is by mistake, it was left in the main forum as an idea for Pattaya.
    There is nowhere you can get a good wine here without a meal. When I posted I suggested that the old Amor [Street Life] might be a good location, or maybe Cafe Royale.

The announcement of the new disco where Amor was, led me to edit the nomination of possible wine bars. I still think there could be a niche market for wine drinkers.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by stevehadders
    my understanding was that it was fine to pay as long as not a minor, which is a good thing I believe - I never had any issues in the barswhen I was there
    That's how it was on my previous visits also.