Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Erawan Museum (giant three-headed elephant)

Liked

Erawan Museum (giant three-headed elephant)

Erawan Museum (giant three-headed elephant)

A trip to the Erawan Museum 31.07.2011

After waking up and having breakfast/dinner together, my new-found friend (DJ station, previous night) and I decide to visit the Erawan Museum in Samut Prakan (~15km southeast of Bangkok) which is located in a statue of a giant three-headed elephant. You can go there by bus, but this would entail at least one change, furthermore itтАЩs already afternoon and I donтАЩt want to appear cheap to my friend and I don't know what time it closes, so we go there by taxi: 250 THB from Silom (+ tolls). The three-headed elephant can be seen from some distance.

All times on the pictures are central European time (5 h behind Thai time).
    View from the entrance of the area:

Entrance of the museum (from inside):

Look out of the the only window in the structure, the entrance to the area is under the blue sign on the right:

Elaborate stairway and coloured glass roof (underneath the body of the elephant):

The shrine in the body of the elephant:

Part of the founderтАЩs (Lek Viriyaphant, who build Ancient City and Sanctuary of Truth as well) collection of antiquities displayed:

Park in the area around the museum with statues of mythological figures:

I think this is the window (dark spot at the elephantтАЩs belly)

Probably the larges three-headed elephant in the world.

The museum is not far (~1km) from the Chao Phraya and my friend suggests we go back by boat (which would lead us underneath Mega Brigde = Bhumibol Bridge, which is on my list of places to visit anyway after I saw it once on a previous holiday), unfortunately there seem to be no piers in the vicinity. So we go back by taxi.

Inspiration for visting came from an article about lesser known museums in Bangkok in Thai Puan (if I remember correctly).

Entry is 300 THB for foreigners and 150 THB for Thai.
    Opening times 8 a.m.-6 p.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erawan_Museum
    http://www.erawan-museum.com/
    http://www.paknam.com/tourist-attrac...an-museum.html
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle...rn-masterpiece

Re: Erawan Museum (giant three-headed elephant)

Hi,

Fabulous photos, Thank you for sharing them.

Liked

A way "over the top" kind of place, but a really enjoyable way to spend the day .......... stopped off in Samut Prakan on the way back for a seaside seafood late lunch at a restaurant owned by the Thai NAVY!!!!!!! Waiters all navy boys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvt22222
    A way "over the top" kind of place, but a really enjoyable way to spend the day .......... stopped off in Samut Prakan on the way back for a seaside seafood late lunch at a restaurant owned by the Thai NAVY!!!!!!! Waiters all navy boys!!!!

and the address for other members??? hehehehe

Liked

Nice post! Thanks - sounds like it is worth a trip. And now those navy boys ...
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Liked

We drive past ~ on the highway in one of your photos ~ this gigantic tri-headed monster quite often on the way back to Hua Hin. Taken some photos flying past, but now that you've offered a more personal experience, one of these days we'll certainly take the off-ramp and go down to take the shade under the belly of the beast.

Thanks for the photos Christian.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Nice photos, ChristianPFC...

Quote Originally Posted by jvt22222
    What's the address of the seafood place? Is it far from central Bangkok? :happy7: