List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kow pansa buddhist festival...any info?

Liked: 1

Kow pansa buddhist festival...any info?

My bf announced to me today after we were discussing drinking and karaokes that he intends to abstain from alcohol for the next 2 months. I can't see that happening with regards to his willpower, but was surprised at his intention and also that I know so little about it. He said probably one reason I know so little is that he has never tried to acknowledge the 'no drinking' part of it before. Also it is the time of year I am not normally vsiting Thailand so wouldn't have experienced it.

It seems to be related to Buddhist monks retreating to their Wat for studying.

I know i can search around the internet but just wondering if anyone has actual experiences relating to "Kow Pansa". It should be something our long term expats would probably know about.

Liked

Re: Kow pansa buddhist festival...any info?

Could be wrong, but I think your boyfriend is a little late. It started a couple weeks ago.

PS. Thailand has so many holidays, festivals, and special occasions, most Thais don't give a shit about them too much.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A few years back I was attending a Loy Krathong fesival in me BF's village and was amazed at how many Thais were falling down drunk. When I asked him why they all get so drunk at these events he said that Loy Krathong, which always takes place in October or November depending on the position of the moon, was ocurring right after the Kow Pansa (Buddhist lent) period and every body needed a drink.

Kow Pansa evolved into a time when monks are not supposed to leave the wat. In addition, people are expected to abstain from harmful pleasures such as drinking alcohol, smoking, etc., and to visit the wat on certain days related to the moon. The Kow Pansa period lasts for 3 months and typically ends near the eve of the Loy Krathong festivities, thus the reason everyone gets so smashed during Loy Krathong.

Similar to youths in the West who are not the least bit interested in the antique rituals and superstitions embedded in Christianity - a lot of the Thai youths feel the same way about these old-fasioned Buddhist beliefs which are gradually falling by the wayside. The old timers still tend to follow the path, although the younger Thais (when out of eye sight of their family elders) will party their asses off regardless of where the moon is positioned.

One recommendation: Never visit the boys village during Kow Pansa because for one reason - it's rice planting time and everybody's working, and secondly, the elders are making sure that nobodies having fun. The best time to visit is during Loy Krathong when the party lasts all night.

Liked

It's popularly called the "Buddhist Lent" because one of the characteristics common at the most popular level between Christian Lent and Buddhist Lent is "giving something up". As cdnmatt remarked, it started a couple of weeks ago and was the occasion for ex-pats giving up going to the bars for a couple of days, to mark its beginning. Giving something up is made easier by its coinciding with the rainy season, so unless you've stocked up beforehand, all that rain makes it more difficult to go outside and get supplies. From the URL I gave here's the overview
    Buddhist monks remain within the temple grounds and do not venture out for a period of three months starting from the first day of the waning moon of the eighth lunar month (in July) to the fifteenth day of the waxing moon of the eleventh lunar month (in October). In former times, this is done to prevent monks from trampling upon rice paddies when they venture out to receive offerings from the villagers.
    As you can see, the name incorporates the Thai word for rice ("khao") - one of the 200 Thai words I do know and even sometimes use.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    As you can see, the name incorporates the Thai word for rice ("khao") - one of the 200 Thai words I do know and even sometimes use.
    You might want to reduce that to 199? The "kao" in Wan Kao Phansa means generally "to enter into" and is spelled р╣Ар╕Вр╣Йр╕▓. The Thai word for rice is р╕Вр╣Йр╕▓р╕з. Both are pronounced the same (except the "rice" word is pronounced with a longer vowel) with a falling tone. Wan Kao Phansa literally means the day to enter the rainy season but is the celebration of the day the monkies begin their hibernation during Buddhist Lent.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    You might want to reduce that to 199? The "kao" in Wan Kao Phansa means generally "to enter into" and is spelled р╣Ар╕Вр╣Йр╕▓. The Thai word for rice is р╕Вр╣Йр╕▓р╕з. Both are pronounced the same (except the "rice" word is pronounced with a longer vowel) with a falling tone. Wan Kao Phansa literally means the day to enter the rainy season but is the celebration of the day the monkies begin their hibernation during Buddhist Lent.
    I bow to your superior knowledge - I only know р╣Ар╕Вр╣Йр╕▓ (to enter into) in the context of a boy's anus.

Liked

Ohhh, so this is actually probably why Kim is abstaining from karaoke for a month. And he was trying to pass it off as doing it to make me happy.

Little shit, trying to get an added bonus out of his sacrifice for Budhhist Lent.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    - it's rice planting time and everybody's working, and secondly, the elders are making sure that nobodies having fun. The best time to visit is during Loy Krathong when the party lasts all night.
    should be quite the opposite-the Thai are very, very downtoearth practicle: the rice should have been planted and there is now time to grow-which needs no/hardly any work at all. hence they can take their best time to retreat as a monk in a monastery. As it is rainy season in nearly the whole country-in old times not the best of season to go travelling-no hard roads, floodings. I do not intend to nitpick at all-but I dfo like the facts to be right. Most ''ancient'' beliefs and economies are very, very intertwined-so practic knowledge gets the aura of a religion to follow. THis can be seen in how different the same Buddist religion gets practised in other countries like Sri lanka or Tibet.

Thailand has so many holidays, festivals, and special occasions, most Thais don't give a shit about them too much
    It depends where you are in Thailand.. The thing that amazes me is not only the incredible complexity of Thai religion and culture, but the extent of religious observance amongst the population, even amongst seasoned sex workers.

I recall one regular bedmate who had vanished when I woke up one morning. Fearing that I had been robbed, I sprang out of bed to check that my wallet etc. were still locked away, and just as I had satisfied myself that all was in order, there was a knock on the door. 'Sorry - I had to go temple' - a little voice said..

..and then we got back into bed again...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Ohhh, so this is actually probably why Kim is abstaining from karaoke for a month. And he was trying to pass it off as doing it to make me happy.

Little shit, trying to get an added bonus out of his sacrifice for Budhhist Lent.
    Matt, I think your cute little boyfriend needs to be punished... by you. :bootyshake: :happy7: