For those who might be wondering how busy Bangkok is these days (and rest assured Pattaya will be quieter), the answer is "very quiet". As the rainy season becomes more entrenched there's less going on out of doors and less going out generally. I think a good indicator is to compare two quite different Forums. This one has days where there are a handful of posts added to the same half-a-dozen topics. The usual suspects will say that that's a symptom of the free-wheeling nature of the Board, where newbies are often frightened away by the somewhat robust discussion - not to mention bullying (where is Beachlover these days by the way?) - but those arguments are advanced with little to no evidence to back them up apart from a lack of new posters. However a completely different Board - the Thailand Forum on Cruising for Sex - is heavily moderated. One or two posters from here (x in pattaya, for example) have been severely censored over there for off-topic remarks and the sort of ad hominem attacks that are commonplace here so, if the "people don't post here because the nature of the Board discourages them" brigade want to argue a heavily moderated Forum attracts posters, they'd have to explain why CfS is as quiet at this time of the year as SGT. Right now there are two threads where the latest posts are yesterday, one from the day before that (which happens to be gregvc from here posting the same question over there, to which there is one reply) and the others are nearly a week old.

If posting activity is an indicator of other activity, then Bangkok is very quiet indeed. As I am driven about, waving at the poor people from behind the tinted windows of my limo, I'd have to say that that is true.