List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: A REAL Mexican Restaurant in Pattaya Thailand!

Re: A REAL Mexican Restaurant in Pattaya Thailand!

PS. You also complained that the postions were too small. Well three of us had his Nachos Grande. Three. There were 8 pieces of Jalapeno peper appetizer and all of us shared a chicken burrito and taco plate. How much food could one eat??!!
    Franciois, I also have to say that many THAI restaurants are in my opinion NOT good. Just because we are in Thailand, doesnt make them good. And if you go to Hong Kong, which is close, my Thai b/f thinks the Thai food there is a freaking joke! It is all a matter of opinion. :dontknow:
    Yours Namarak is NOT, the only opinion.
    Also, look at the map, San Diego is less than 1 hour from Tiajuana Mexico :occasion9:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Narakmak
    It isn't real. Please don't waste your money. Please stop supporting fake Mexican food in Pattaya. Bangkok and CM have some half decent places. Pattaya doesn't. Maybe someday. Not now and not Sams!
    Fake Mexican food in Pattaya!! The insult to humanity. Does the Mexican embassy issue a certificate of authenticity for real Mexican food? or do you do that in your spare time? If so are you the worlds expert on other food styles? What would you say is your area of food expertise? Any formal training? I want the detail when I show off your certificate of food authenticity.

Hmmmm..and what if I decide to waste my money on food that I find enjoyable? Will you issue me a citation for not meeting your food tasting standards?

I am going on my next trip just to waste my money.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Part of the problem with trying to prepare ethnic dishes outside of their region is the quality of the ingredients are just not the same.

There are several Thai dishes that I really enjoy when visiting Pattaya. I have tried them at Thai restaurants in my home area and they are just not the same. At home, even though they are being prepared by Thai immigrants (even gave me a chance to try my embarrassingly bad Thai language skills for a bit) in Mom and Pop stores, the chilis do not have the same flavor, the basil is different, and so on.

I am sure the same is true for other ethnic dishes being served up in Thailand. It doesn't mean they are bad, and obviously they are being enjoyed by some.

I tend to think the whole concept of "authenticity" is a bit odd. Dishes constantly morph due to many influences and regional variations abound.

I am much more of the notion "if it tastes good, eat it".

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by anonone
    Part of the problem with trying to prepare ethnic dishes outside of their region is the quality of the ingredients are just not the same.

There are several Thai dishes that I really enjoy when visiting Pattaya. I have tried them at Thai restaurants in my home area and they are just not the same. At home, even though they are being prepared by Thai immigrants (even gave me a chance to try my embarrassingly bad Thai language skills for a bit) in Mom and Pop stores, the chilis do not have the same flavor, the basil is different, and so on.

I am sure the same is true for other ethnic dishes being served up in Thailand. It doesn't mean they are bad, and obviously they are being enjoyed by some.

I tend to think the whole concept of "authenticity" is a bit odd. Dishes constantly morph due to many influences and regional variations abound.

I am much more of the notion "if it tastes good, eat it".
    Oh come on..stop being so reasonable.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Narakmak
    ..... the food there is HORRIBLE. Everything is wrong. Not now and not Sam's ... So go ahead and support more crappy Mexican food. I say starve them out ....
    The hostility! Was there something else my dear? All 4 thought the food was GOOD, the service EXCELLENT, Sam freindly, the waiter was cute. What more can you ask for?
    :occasion9:

Liked

I'm guessing that those of you saying you want some Mexican food in Pattaya may really saying you want Tex Mex or Cali Mex food. I think Tequila Reef offers pretty good Cali Mex entres (try the Reefer Madness listed on their appetizer section). Sam's is ok, but not my favorite. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike's (off Thapyra between the overpass and Jomtien). It has it's own version of Tex Mex food and Margaritas that can put you under the table in no time. But, my current favorite for Tex Mex food is Purple Space Monkey on Chapaira. The place doesn't bill itself as a Tex Mex restaurant but offers quite a few such dishes. Try their fajitas.

I too think it is a mistake to equate the food in the US South West with being Mexican. While there is certainly a strong and broad influence, what is usually called TexMex or CaliMex is very different to what you actually get in Mexico. It then depends on what part of Mexico you are talking about as there is huge regional variation. For example, the frijoles refritos you get in Dallas are completely different than what you get in Mexico City which are different again to Merida. While all may be delicious they are not the same. And while San Diego may be less than an hour from Tijuana, Denver is a good 10 hours from Juarez.

Quote Originally Posted by RichLB
    It has it's own version of Tex Mex food and Margaritas
    Answers everybody. Everyone has their own VERSION. I liked Sam's VERSION.
    :sumo: :sumo: :sumo: :sumo:

Liked

Are there any good Thai restaurants in Cancun? Should there be?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Swing
    Are there any good Thai restaurants in Cancun? Should there be?
    Sure there is! Right on Guacamole Blvd right next to that Italian restaurant. :sign5: